Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Hitachi compressor repair.. any success?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Hitachi compressor repair.. any success?

Just had the Disco in the main dealers for various works as follows:-

Timing belt replacement - front and rear plus all idlers
PO17 new brake booster (free)
New front wheel bearings O/S & N/S
Oil and filter change

All totaling around £1200

Just been informed by workshop Foreman who I trust that the compressor is on its way out. He recommends that I upgrade to the AMK kit. However the vehicle does limited miles (maybe 6,000 a year tops) and can I justify £700 for fitting a new compressor.

I was going to bring a reconditioning kit from the UK but did not get around to it, has anyone had any success with the refurb. kit before I pound my wallet further or will she dump me?

Thoughts appreciated... Thumbs Up
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #155909410th Nov 2015 1:38 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I don't think much success has been had. Thumbs Up

The way I look at it, now there's the improved pump available (in the form of the AMK), I at least won't feel half as bad about bunging a replacement in when mine evenutally gives up.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #155909710th Nov 2015 1:42 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have not had any success with repairing them and I tried very, very hard, always ended up fitting new. Don't forget the software for the AMG as it now runs at a lower presser that helps to preserve it.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #155911910th Nov 2015 2:24 pm
DiscoNels

United States 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I rebuilt mine. It can be done, but it can get messy. It's been about 17 months and I haven't had any problems yet.

Read my post (entire thing) about my experience rebuilding my hitachi compressor.
http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic113599.html If you choose to rebuild be sure to replace all the parts listed and follow the guide from page 2 of the post.
 1998 Discovery LSE - Gold, 249,000+ miles, completely stock
2007 Range Rover SC - White, 63,000 mi
2006 Discovery 3 HSE - Locking E-Diff, Rover Specialties rock sliders, 275/65/18 Cooper STT PRO, LLAMS suspension controller, LR Expedition Roof Rack. Asfir Rear Diff, Tactical 4x4 (Gas Tank Skid, Rear Bumper, and Front Bumper w/12K winch), Traxide Split Charge System, Overland Solar + Lensun Solar panels
BBS Nanocom Evolution and Gap Diagnostics IID BT Tool 

Post #155913710th Nov 2015 2:53 pm
Discologist

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I rebuilt mine with the Landy Air kit about four months ago and it's still (touch wood) working fine. Luckily, I bought a dead compressor and bracket as donors, because I broke my bracket getting the b Censored y thing off.

The hardest things I found were getting the various fixings off the car because of the corrosion, and getting the rear pipes out. I did the same things as the threads linked above but still had to trim a few millimetres off. (Oh, and the LA instructions are putting it charitably not easy to follow).

Post #155914610th Nov 2015 3:20 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

£700 is steep for an AMK, even fitted. Shocked

Can you not import one from the UK cheaper? It's about an hour to fit.

Edit: didn't realise AMK compressors are up by ~25% in 12 months

There are also aftermarket direct Hitachi replacements available now.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #155915110th Nov 2015 3:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Yep, thanks for the hint...

£700 was a rough estimate.. Actually from Rands to £ it is £488 here + main dealer fitting cost £65.00

Just basically having a rant as all the know problems have hit this car after less than 1500 odd miles. Had a recon rear diff. in April which the dealer paid for... been laid up for 6 months since I purchased it just got back and re-commissioned it - engine nearly blew due to fractured cam belt tensioner- Master tech says - I was lucky - I said well its genuine Landrover part has this part failed before with other owners - oh yes Sir new engine and all - you are lucky Sir.. well thank F**K I am an Engineer with good hearing matey.... I was thinking cus he was nice...So be aware there is another failure out there not just the oil pump fracturing but the tensioner as well..

Having an argument with the warranty company (which came free with the car) as the exclusions are for wheel bearings that have accident damage or lack of lubricant... I soon corrected the the lady that the car has not been in an accident and the bearings are sealed for life (whilst getting my back room lawyers head on ready for the next response... which did not come... send it into the assessor Sir with your birth certificate and your wife's full ancestry going back to the the battle of Hastings.. Evil or Very Mad but hey I will play the game out of principle and fun.. Thumbs Up )

Sorry for the rant we love our D3's and Africa is calling, just need a roof rack for our Howling Moon tent.. as our beloved D2's roof rack does not fit..

Sorry for the rant guy's but this car is testing me to my limits.. but I know I am lucky and a lot of you have had a lot worse.. I always find Landrovers like horses they need breaking in and taming - is it just me? Brandy and coke kicking in so starting to feel a little mellower now..

At least SWAMBO's stablemate is going well - today any how..
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #155917110th Nov 2015 4:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >