DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Oddysey PC1350 battery dead after 1,5 years
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pgoeij

Luxembourg 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Oddysey PC1350 battery dead after 1,5 years

Hi there,

Maybe someone can give me a hand on this. 1,5 years ago i bought myself for my Discovery 3 2007 plate a quite expensive Odyssey PC1350 (AGM) cranking battery (https://www.odyssey-batteries.com.au/odyssey-battery-pc1350.html). Besides this fellow i have a yellow top optima, as a second battery. These two are connected by an Traxide system, which is very handy for those camping trips without electricity Wink Thumbs Up

I haven't had trouble so far but three weeks ago the Odyssey battery was really low on voltage, 11,7 volts. Used a CTEK to charge it, used it again for a couple of days. Again an flat battery, did some extensive research myself, checking power drains, checking relais, connections, the traxide system but didn't find any problems. But the battery didn't keep it's voltage. Big Cry

So because of the extensive two year warranty, i went to the reseller for getting a new one under warranty. But after some extensive research on the resellers side, they broke the battery into pieces, investigating the plates within the battery, they have come up with "the battery broke because of faulty usage"

Sounds a bit funny to me, just having the battery under the hood, with only a traxide system and an extra optima yellow top connected with it. Have run a total of 30 days a refrigerator on it, shared over 5 camping trips in the 1,5 years.

They are are stating; The knackered battery is probably the result of the traxide system and the battery not being fully charged enough over those 1,5 years. Besides that they say that the Discovery 3 could have had some issues with going into sleep, resulting in power drains, when parked and not heavily and frequently used. They are also stating that those remote weather stations, communicating over 100 mhz, are keeping the Discovery 3 getting to sleep when parked. Resulting in a power drain when parked.

So i was wondering if anybody else with a traxide system has been in this situation of a knackered battery or if someone ever has heard the story about the remote weather stations keeping a Discovery 3 or 4 out of sleep??? Shocked

More ideas or suggestions??? Bow down

Last edited by pgoeij on 21st Oct 2015 3:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #154743719th Oct 2015 8:17 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

They are are stating; The knackered battery is a result of the traxide system and the battery hasn't been fully charged enough over those 1,5 years.

Hi pgoeij, and this is the standard type of line used when they want to get out of the warranty.

For a starter, the battery is charged via the alternator so is not effected by the way the Isolator works. That is just B/S.

Next, and just out of curiosity, who advised you to fit that battery as your cranking battery.

If that company did, then they are responsible for the battery as it is NOT suitable for use in early model D4s or any of the D3s.

The battery, according to the manufacturer, has a maximum voltage tolerance of 15.0v. Your D3 and early model D4s will regularly go to 15.5v and higher in some cases.

Late model D4s only, can be fitted with this battery because late model D4s have a maximum operating voltage of just 14.7v, which is well within the tolerances of that battery.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #154758720th Oct 2015 2:02 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I honestly cannot believe you fell for that utter boll0x.

You bought a battery, fitted it to your car, it failed within the warranty period, end of story. Rolling Eyes
Tell them to honour the warranty or you'll pursue them through the small claims court ( I presume Holland has a small claims procedure? ).

This line is just pathetic on a whole new level, and to be perfectly honest, is actually funny:
Quote:
They are also stating that those remote weather stations, communicating over 100 mhz, are keeping the Discovery 3 getting to sleep when parked. Resulting in a power drain when parked.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #154758820th Oct 2015 3:07 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have had an Odyssey battery fitted for 4 years and charged via a T-Max system. It is still going strong.

Are you dealing directly with the manufactuer or the supplier? I can't believe Odyssey wouldn't honour a claim. Don't roll over on this one, challenge them all the way, they are just clutching at straws.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #154764020th Oct 2015 9:37 am
pgoeij

drivesafe wrote:
They are are stating; The knackered battery is a result of the traxide system and the battery hasn't been fully charged enough over those 1,5 years.

Hi pgoeij, and this is the standard type of line used when they want to get out of the warranty.

For a starter, the battery is charged via the alternator so is not effected by the way the Isolator works. That is just B/S.

Next, and just out of curiosity, who advised you to fit that battery as your cranking battery.

If that company did, then they are responsible for the battery as it is NOT suitable for use in early model D4s or any of the D3s.

The battery, according to the manufacturer, has a maximum voltage tolerance of 15.0v. Your D3 and early model D4s will regularly go to 15.5v and higher in some cases.

Late model D4s only, can be fitted with this battery because late model D4s have a maximum operating voltage of just 14.7v, which is well within the tolerances of that battery.

@Drivesafe; thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware of the fact the alternator would regarly go the 15,5 volt and higher in a 2007 Discovery. The highest i've seen was 14,5 volts, regular output is 14,2 Volt, the alternator has been tested as well and has been found "OK". The battery hasn't been been advised by them, but wasn't advised against either.......

Post #154799720th Oct 2015 8:13 pm
pgoeij

Narpy wrote:
I honestly cannot believe you fell for that utter boll0x.

You bought a battery, fitted it to your car, it failed within the warranty period, end of story. Rolling Eyes
Tell them to honour the warranty or you'll pursue them through the small claims court ( I presume Holland has a small claims procedure? ).

This line is just pathetic on a whole new level, and to be perfectly honest, is actually funny:
Quote:
They are also stating that those remote weather stations, communicating over 100 mhz, are keeping the Discovery 3 getting to sleep when parked. Resulting in a power drain when parked.

@Narpy; thanks for the reply. I have to agree with you. I also found it to be funny when i've heard about the 100 mhz weather station gremlin Wink But didn't want to be pessimistic or negative in the first place towards the supplier or messenger. Was anxious to see what other people would think of it.....

Last edited by pgoeij on 20th Oct 2015 8:22 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #154800420th Oct 2015 8:18 pm
pgoeij

Moo wrote:
I have had an Odyssey battery fitted for 4 years and charged via a T-Max system. It is still going strong.

Are you dealing directly with the manufactuer or the supplier? I can't believe Odyssey wouldn't honour a claim. Don't roll over on this one, challenge them all the way, they are just clutching at straws.

@Moo; Thanks for your reply as well. I'm dealing with the supplier. Maybe i have to contact the manufacturer instead about this case and point them to this post on the forum. According to drive safe this battery is not suitable for the D3 and early D4, but clearly you don not have issues.

Post #154800720th Oct 2015 8:20 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi pgoeij, your D3 usually only operates at 15+v during the initial startup boost cycle.

And this will normally be during colder weather.

Again, as an AGM type battery, while it has a slightly higher voltage tolerance than the average AGM ( Land Rover’s AGM starting batteries have a max of 14.7v ), that battery still should not be used but as Moo posted, is OK.

I posted up the info so that if they had recommended this battery in the first place, so you might have been able to use the info to up stage them.

But as others have posted, you have a warranty, if you don’t get any joy from the supplier, go to your Consumer Protection Authority.
Post #154802820th Oct 2015 8:51 pm
Niel

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Interesting for both the LR3 and LR4 on the Odyssey site shows the PC1220 not the higher capacity PC1350 as the correct choice.

It might be worth e-mailing Odyssey directly in the USA and asking them to step in before the battery dealer ruins their reputation, and it's something they need to protect as they supply a number of the PC range for aircraft use...

Post #154830521st Oct 2015 12:57 pm
pgoeij

Have had contact with the odyssey spokesmen in the Netherlands. He insisted the reseller being the one for coming with a a fashionable solution. But he promised me that if the reseller or supplier wouldn't come with a solution, they will. One way or around. Bow down Thumbs Up

Agreed that i will wait until after the weekend giving the reseller the chance to come up with a solution.

I 'll keep you posted and if there are more people using the traxide solution in conjunction with an Odyssey battery. Please let me know, i am very interested in your experiences on this matter.

Post #154895722nd Oct 2015 5:27 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ive got the pc1550 on mine at the moment, works fine, been on there for quite a while now since my Yellowtop failed after about 5 years.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #154895922nd Oct 2015 5:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pgoeij

Hi there,

an update. Talked to the reseller. Conclusion remains the Odyssey battery has been drained too far too many times, which is likely to be caused by the traxide system and using a fridge when camping. It looks like the battery hasn't been charged enough after usage... The reseller did some investigation and plates have been sulphated. No warranty claim is possible.

I've told the reseller the traxide system drains the odyssey battery maximal 50% (default SC-80 setting), leaving enough for being able to coldstart the vehicle. Told them as well that i've never experienced a drain under 50% because i also have a cut-off system in the car (abg-25) set on 12V between the fridge and the optima. The fridge never stopped working on the couple of hollidays....

The reseller told me the Odyssey battery is not keen on discharges this much Crying or Very sad

The problem i have is that Odyssey themselves advertises with "they can handle 400 charge-discharge cycles to 80% depth of discharge ". And being away for 5 times within the 1,5 years and a maximum usage of 30 days with a fridge, i'm not seeing being able to got to those "400 charge-discharge cycles to 80% depth of discharge".

Talked to Odyssey and they say nothing is wrong with the battery, problems are caused by other facts than the battery...... Explained them the battery is still under warrantee and faulty, now they are stating they will try to convince the reseller giving me an offer of 50% off for a new one....? Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Reminded the dutch Odyssey spokesmen that he promised me to come up with an solution one way or another...... He told me he would contact the reseller and come back on this matter....... Censored

Last edited by pgoeij on 26th Oct 2015 7:56 pm. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #155126626th Oct 2015 3:07 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi pjoeij, I own Traxide and would like to know who you were speaking to in the Netherlands?

Because I do not have a “Dutch Traxide Spokesman”!

Now back to your battery, all standard cranking batteries can be safely discharged down to 40% without effecting the battery’s longevity or it’s CCA rating.

So our isolator’s operation would not have effected the cranking battery in the way described.

And as you have already posted up, the specs for your battery state that it can be cycled down to 20% SoC, so nothing you are doing is outside the manufacturer’s operating specs for that battery.

You have what would appear to be a legitimate warranty claim, so go back the to manufacturer and see what they have to say.
Post #155141826th Oct 2015 7:24 pm
pgoeij

@Drivesafe:

Good to know you own Traxide. I'm very glad what you are saying. I'm still waiting for the Odyssey dutch spokesmen to call me back with some good news. But he left me a little puzzled, last week saying he would solve the problem, one way or around, today stating that for example a 6 month old tyre with a puncture could also not being replaced under warrantee. Censored

Post #155142126th Oct 2015 7:31 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi again pjoeij, I think it’s time you got in touch with your Comsumer Protection Authority.

With the way the clowns you are dealing with in the Netherlands are acting, try sending an e-mail the Oddysey’s head office in the USA.
Post #155144326th Oct 2015 8:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >