Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Overland expedition setup
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Overland expedition setup

Anyone done an overland setup in a D4? Got any pictures? Kit list?

Especially interested in UK ones...we all know you can buy the kit cheaper and better in the US and Aus!

Am thinking (long term) of getting a few bits such as roof rack, Oztent, etc. Quite interested in internal storage solutions
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #153582227th Sep 2015 1:07 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My take on storage.
Click image to enlarge

D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #153582527th Sep 2015 1:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Seems to be a Jerry can fetish going on there Very Happy
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #153582727th Sep 2015 1:16 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

They look nice Mr. Green
 Andy

Post #153582827th Sep 2015 1:17 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

You can't have too many, apparently.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 D4 MY15 SE TECH

Post #153583027th Sep 2015 1:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr.Tom

I was wondering what people do if they've got dogs? Do you have a drawer set that the dog cage sites on top of, are the drawers full length (I.e. Go onto the back seats) or not? What do you put on the rear seats (only two of us and dog)?

Also got to be relatively easily removable as need car for work with the seats.

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #153583127th Sep 2015 1:23 pm
Andy Foster

Seem to remember someone was selling a rear draw system.
 D4 MY15 SE TECH

Post #153583327th Sep 2015 1:26 pm
Mr.Tom

Andy, are they watertight? Could you stick them on the roof if you wanted?

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #153583527th Sep 2015 1:27 pm
Andy Foster

No not water tight, however that is being worked on. I'm thinking the yellow one would be the easiest to seal though. These are more of a prototype, will update when I've worked something out Thumbs Up

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH

Post #153583627th Sep 2015 1:32 pm
Mr.Tom

Where did you get them from? Not sure they are my cup of tea, but would make a good gift for someone I know

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #153583827th Sep 2015 1:36 pm
nearlee

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

this is my take on interior fit out, kept it simple but very specific for my needs, behind the 2 plastic boxes there is space accessed from the rear seats which hold waterproofs overalls and trolley jack.
the doggy cage is now also about half the size.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #153602127th Sep 2015 7:45 pm
Mr.Tom

Interesting, I was thinking something similar, just not sure about the rear seat space

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #153604127th Sep 2015 8:22 pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

How to use the rear seats depends if you need to retain their use as seats. If it's just you, or you and a partner, then you could remove them altogether then build a platform to suit your particular mix of kit using the seat mounting points (so it's reversible).

The same goes for the 3rd row seats, although the floor beneath them isn't very flat, so it needs some thought to make best use of it.

It depends how far you want to go, though. If you're looking for a set-up that leaves the car unchanged, then it essentially comes down to organising your storage in the boot. Andy's jerry cans look cool but they aren't particularly space efficient. The usual solution is something like Wolf or Really Useful boxes. These can just be stacked and strapped down or, for more flexibility, construct some sort of frame for them to slide into like drawers. That way, everything is accessible without having to unload anything else.

When I've kitted out vehicles in the past, I've tended to measure up all of the bulky kit (chairs, tables, fridges, storage boxes, etc.) and sketch out how they might best fit in a way that allows access to stuff in the order that you're likely to use it. No point burying the chairs, for example, if you want to get them out for a lunch stop somewhere without having to unload half the car.

Here's one that I built for my D1 for a trip to Morroco:

Click image to enlarge

In this set-up I removed the rear seats and had a platform for a fridge in the middle.

This one in a DII for a trip to central Spain retained the rear seats, where we stored our personal kit bags:

Click image to enlarge

If you're keen on an Oztent then all but the biggest will fit inside, although it's probably not the best use of space. On the roof is much more common but, unless you see the need to carry other things up there, you don't need a full rack as roof bars are perfectly adequate. Extended roof rails do make it a bit more balanced though.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #153608627th Sep 2015 9:32 pm
Mr.Tom

Thanks Darren some interesting thoughts there.

I would want to be able to return car to close to stock condition relatively quickly, say an afternoon as I need the rear seats for work, but when travelling to does not matter.

I think I would have to build a frame, that bolts together and use really useful boxes to go in it, as I have a few of this in the garage at the moment.

Hmmm..will have to start designing something Shocked

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #153608927th Sep 2015 9:40 pm
SWR

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Got an exciting trip planned Tom?
 D3 HSE TDV6 Auto. Bonatti Grey.

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #153610327th Sep 2015 10:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >