Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Another EGR question or two! Advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Keep the kit in the car as a get you home fix should the valves pack up, even if you cant do it a local garage can do it easily.

Post #15417008th Oct 2015 5:28 pm
kodakman7

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
New engine- older car

I am currently having a factory new EU4 spec motor fitted to an 05 Disco 3 after the HT bolt on the cam tensioner failed (5 mths after replacement Big Cry) I am wondering about EGR blanking etc? There seems to be a number of variable with ECU software versions in regard to the likelihood of errors after blanking. Does anyone have some wisdom on doing this to a new motor in an "old" car? Considering the cost of new motor etc, the most affordable option will be more attractive. Still have full and easy access to the motor with the body lifted (thanks to Disco Mikeys guide). I have a BAS kit for the earlier motor which I didnt get around to fitting, so the temptation is there......

Post #154373012th Oct 2015 10:07 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Isn't the Euiv spec motor is the same as the euiii spec, except for some engine controls and the EGR valves themselves? Are you keeping the existing ecu or trying to use the EUiv one....?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #154374812th Oct 2015 10:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco3_ad07

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3

Ive got the 2007 disco 3 and ive fitted the blanking kit as both valves have had to be replaced and the amount of crud build up in the inlet plenum was unreal!! Has andybody had experience with these ones? Will the eml light stay off even though they are blanked as long as the ecu "thinks" the egr valves are doing their job properly?

Post #154375712th Oct 2015 10:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The eml will come on at some point unless your local friendly BAS dealer (me Wink ) writes it out on the software. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #154375812th Oct 2015 10:42 pm
disco3_ad07

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3

Bodsy wrote:
The eml will come on at some point unless your local friendly BAS dealer (me Wink ) writes it out on the software. Thumbs Up

How much does my local friendly BAS dealer charge for such a job.....and maybe a remap! oh and how "local" is local??? Wink 8)

Post #154412613th Oct 2015 6:12 pm
kodakman7

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I was expecting to keep the existing ECU. My reading seems to indicate the later cars wiht EU4 spec motors need an emulating dongle to keep the ECU happy, but that the earlier one ie mine dont. So I assume that the error is ECU reliant (assumptions can be dangerous tho) and so I mightnt have any problems. Realistically, what benefits will be seen from JUST blanking the EGR's without the remap that seem to go along with the BAS dongle etc fitment ?

Post #154493314th Oct 2015 11:43 pm
disco3_ad07

Re: New engine- older car

kodakman7 wrote:
 Realistically, what benefits will be seen from JUST blanking the EGR's without the remap 

Ive had mine blanked without a remap or any emulators plugged in. Mines a 2007 and it feels loads better to drive. Not more power but better. Turbo seems to boost earlier but i think thats because there are no boost leaks through the egr now!! I will be gettin a remap soon rather than later though with a patch to dial the egr valves out

Post #154513415th Oct 2015 3:37 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Blanking provides no increase in performance vs correctly functioning valves. Thumbs Up

Reliability and reduced wear are the consistent benefits, along with preventing the MAP sensor from getting clogged with soot, but if the valves have failed, then it will also restore full power. Wink

Having the valves mapped out does not specifically require the emulators; these are to allow the valves to appear to work on diagnostics. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #154515315th Oct 2015 4:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >