Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

LR Exhibition roofrack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Duncan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
LR Exhibition roofrack

Off to Ben Nevis next w/e avec partner and little people, have ordered roofrack as above from local LR dealer and was wondering if anyone had a contact for a waterproof covering with tie-downs etc. or is it a case of using my (little used these days) general haulage roping and sheeting skills !!
Any feedback on the LR roofrack would be appreciated.
An idea i have to utilise the space efficiently on what only amounts to a family holiday is to measure the internals of said roofrack, and buy some of those plastic storage boxes with lids on from Costco or whereever, then stow all the junk in them.Im also going to look at what size stackable boxes will fit behind the seats when all 7 are occupied,i suppose 4 slabs of ale stood on end would be a result !!

As an aside, i do a lot of shooting and went out this week-end in our local area, and we had some serious flooding, some of the water was of a depth i was confident of driving through, but some was borderline and i bottled it, is the quoted figure from LR of 600~700 deep the absolute max? or can it be abused !! I have seen some pictures on here of D3's with impressive bow waves, but was wondering if a few seconds later it came to a grinding halt.Is it fair to say that the wading limit is set by the exit height of the exhaust tailpipe?
This is my first D3,and only had it a month so im still picking my way around still,but willing to put it to any test!!

Duncan
 When I die I want it to be in my sleep, like my Grandad ............ not screaming and shouting like his passengers!!  
Post #18270926th Jul 2007 12:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Its not the exhaust thats the problem, its the air intakes. Even the LR Raised Air Intake is not sold as a snorkle (even it has a perforated tube in the wing). Also, the aircon could be seriously affected by any exessive water entering through the scuttle intake.

Thats always a danger when water comes over the bonnet, even as part of a bow wave that keeps the engine air intake clear.

The only time the exhaust is a problem is when the engine stops, the system will then cool rapidly and suck water in as the air contracts. This also happens to gearboxes and axles with less that perfect breathers and seals. They also cool rapidly and the air contracts and sucks the water in.

Post #18272126th Jul 2007 12:46 pm
MHC

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Someone told me that the D3 has very sensitive moisture sensors for the engine (previous Discoveries apparently do as well) to prevent damage from water ingress. What tends to happen in practice then is the engine shuts off as soon as a bit of water gets too close when in reality the car could probably keep going. I guess that is what really determines the wading depth. Great for protecting the engine, but of course leaves you stranded in deep water!

Post #18346727th Jul 2007 9:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >