Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension Problem Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Suspension Problem Questions

I have been experiencing the usual all lights on in the dash starting with the HDC and ending with "suspension "has been lowered" (or words to that effect) .

The dealers are unable to trace any fault logs and this has started being a daily ocurance.

I decided to log the faults to see if I could find a common factor, which seemed to be travelling either very slow (5-10 Kms) stopped or braking to a stop.

the last week or so I have noticed that the battery seems very sluggisg first thing in the orning so I tested the voltage this morning before using it....12 16 volts, OK so I took it to my battery supplier , he tested the battery and said it seemed OK, then he checked the charge and found it was only feeding 13.2 volts into the system.

I then took it to my Auto Lekkie friend who confirmed a low charge rate.

Now..............

for those who are much more learned than I, most people, would my failures be being triggered by a low battery voltage as the motor comes down to idle, the computer reads a low battery charge and starts shutting down systems to conserve battery?

I add that I also checked the charge rate tonight, it was 12.56 Volts

Post #17634610th Jul 2007 2:57 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

There have been a number of cases of low voltage causing dashboards to light up like a christmas tree (and not restricted to Land Rovers).

Here's some threads where the finger of blame has been pointed at voltage/charging issues. http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic10685.html

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic8138.html
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #17635110th Jul 2007 3:13 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

That charge rate is way to low for a Disco3, 14.2 is the minimum to expect with 15.5VDC the maximum. The charge voltage is set by the Engine Control Unit based upon temperature information from the ATCU ('climate control') It's possible that low charge rate is a symptom, not the cause of the problems, suspension lowering, special programmes not available, HDC not available, ABS faults, transmission errors etc. can be caused by something as simple ( Shocked ) as a defective wheel speed sensor or connection to it - or a CANbus problem causing communications to shut down, thereby preventing messages to be broadcast. All the systems mentioned are on the high-speed CANbus so it's possible that the CJB communications interface may have a problem. Did the auto electrician test the Ampere output? sometimes low voltage can be seen if the Ampere output is close to maximum (150A for a TDV6, 80A for a V6 or V8)

Or it could just be a duff alternator or slipping drive belt Thud

edit: Just one further point - I assume you are using the OE battery and don't have an auxiliary battery fitted?

Post #17653110th Jul 2007 9:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardK

10forcash wrote:

edit: Just one further point - I assume you are using the OE battery and don't have an auxiliary battery fitted?

I have the OE battery with an auxilliary battery fitted managed by an SC80 charge unit . (one of Drivesafes'products)

The Auto Lekkie didn't check the amp reading, I didnt think of that.

Post #17663910th Jul 2007 11:33 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

Richard,

With the aux batt + SC80 circuit disconnected, is the reading still the same?

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #17666811th Jul 2007 8:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamo

Australia 

I initially had problems like you describe when my aux battery was put in, but that was when I had a TJM controller and the morons who installed the system wired it backwards (ie the aux was being charged before the main!).

I re-wired it with an SC80 and B&S0 cables, put the main battery on charge overnight and haven't had a problem since.

I'm not making any comment as to what your problem might be Richard (as I'm not the most gifted when it comes to auto electrics) but just thought I'd post my experience FYI.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #17667411th Jul 2007 8:28 am
RichardK

Thanks fellas for the input.

TFC: as usual, you are a mine of information, now for a person of my limited knowledge, is the canbus a readily recognisable piece of equipment or a generalisation for a tangle of wiring? Can you also tell me where the CJB communicatications interface is?
I will check the other suggestions you have made.

Gordonand Jamo: I'll check that one out and then check the wiring of the SC80.

How was the trip Gordon?

Post #17675511th Jul 2007 2:23 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

CANbus is just some tangled wires..... the CJB (Central Junction Box) interface isn't user or techie accessible as it's part of the PCB inside it Shocked the only way to diagnose it properly is to read live data and look for dropped or missing / corrupted messages. If the charge voltage is as you say, the dealer wants a scud up their ar se for not noticing it!
The alternator wiring goes directly to the starter motor +ve stud and then up to the battery via the starter main wiring, it's unlikely that the Aux. battery is being charged first as this would require the engine loom to be ripped apart and remade to suit... it's possible it could be a poor connection on the back of the starter but this would most likely manifest itself in a non-start condition before low battery voltage was noticed

Post #17688811th Jul 2007 6:34 pm
RichardK

Had a new alternator replaced under warranty.........charge rate at the time was 12.56V and battery was at 12 2V.

Over the next few days I will know if my suspension problems were caused by the low battery/charge rate.

Post #18034621st Jul 2007 1:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >