Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Aircon fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RBP

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Aircon fault

Had new front to rear pipework replaced on aircon system on Thursday. All good, very cold. Today blowing warm again Big Cry Pipe in engine bay is cold but checked live values - evaporator temp around 26.5 °C! Air con system pressure around 262kpa. When I switch on the aircon I hear the farting sound as usual but this sound is repeated every couple of seconds.
There aren't any related fault codes but when I cleared faults earlier the aircon started to blow cold. Half an hour later went for a drive and had stopped working again!
Any ideas?

Post #149361327th Jun 2015 3:33 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Mine held vac test just fine but still lost pressure, replaced pipe same as yours and its been fine since, after it lost pressure after a week or so I pressurised the system with nitrogen (any air con place can do the same) and found the leak with the help of a soapy water bottle.

Post #149376527th Jun 2015 9:14 pm
RBP

Thanks for the reply Thumbs Up Spent loads lately so don't want to throw any more at the old beast! Just my luck there's a heatwave coming Big Cry At least the electric windows are still working! Laughing

Post #149385628th Jun 2015 7:31 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Maybe cheap ways around it, the a/c guy reckoned the system can run at pressures to 6 bar and he tests them to 10 bar for stubborn leaks, I only tried it at 4 bar or so, well within the range of a standard air compressor, and so long as its gets a good vac down before recharge to boil of any moisture that has got into the system.
All you would need is some sort of adaptor to pressurise the system, maybe something on ebay?

Just thinking if it ran for half an hour maybe pressure is just fine and you have a elec/sensor fault, get wiring diagram and have a play.

You can also get the aerosol recharge can from ebay etc, I have used them in the past and they do work no matter what the scare mongers say!
Cheap enough so maybe get can add to system and if it then runs for more than 1/2 hour you know its just low gas.

Post #149398528th Jun 2015 2:56 pm
RBP

Will try & get to the bottom of this tomorrow. Thought the recurring farting noise could be a problem with the air-con recirculation motor? Fed up with my Dad saying " When I was a lad we wound down the windows, and you could get have 8 pints, fish & chips and still have change from a farthing" blah blah..... Rolling Eyes

Post #149413628th Jun 2015 8:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >