Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

DIY Drawer System for Discovery 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
DIY Drawer System for Discovery 3

Been preparing for next trip in our Disco and just found out that there was too many things we needed to to collect so started to think of a drawer system.
What you can get on the market is ridiculously expensive Confused Would build at least 5 such systems myself in that price, so decided to go for it Smile

The first idea was to use alu square profiles and make kind of a construction with telescopic slides inside, but seems like finding longer ones than 700mm it's almost impossible. Well - you CAN get longer ones, but the prices are going logarithmically up, so resigned from that idea. Will use simple bearings and aluminium profile sliding between them.

Instead of alu frame, decided to build aluminium box.

Didn't want to build it too high, as we are travelling with our Husky dog, sitting in the booth, so had to think of saving some space for her (especially that she's been having only half of it - there are our Peli cases on the other half) Wink So the whole box shouldn't be higher than 30cm.

Thought of using cable trays to build the outside box and drawers, but found it quite cheap to go to the company that deals with aluminium and let them do everything based on my project.

Labour and material (2mm aluminim plates on sides and 3mm on bottom) were around 100 Quids Very Happy

Bought used booth floors from Discovery 3 on polish flebay - 2 sets. Will use those without handle as top of the drawer system, and will cut those with handles to build front of the drawers and make remaining pieces of the floor with the rests of it. Cost around 70 Quid for 4 pieces.

Can't wait to come back and continue on that one. .
I know drilling can be challenging - to make everything perfectly in line, especially at home environment, but expect to have fun with it, so looking forward Mr. Green

Thumbs Up
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #148048929th May 2015 7:59 pm
Blacknsilver3

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What happens when you get a puncture? Big Cry has that been thought of? Can you leave a hole out so it doesn't have to all be removed?
 With a few Mods.  
Post #148050229th May 2015 8:27 pm
Simon.pl

I have already removed the spare wheel from it's original position. Bumper mount is another DIY project I plan to do Very Happy

BUT - if you slide the drawers to the very front and remove the upper floor (first part of it - in fact - top of the drawer system) you can see what's under the box. I don't want to make a full floor under because I have a lot of ropes, tools and other pieces of necessary equipment Wink in the space where tool box used to be Thumbs Up
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #148050529th May 2015 8:37 pm
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Beware!

The floor of the rear in not flat and in line with the tailgate.
You need to pack up the rear of the drawers to clear the tailgate when you slide them out.
Check out my plans in my signature for details.

Cheers Rich
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #148066630th May 2015 10:40 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Excellent guide you've put together there Rich Thumbs Up

Post #148068530th May 2015 11:17 am
Simon.pl

Thanks Rich

Interesting read Thumbs Up

I am going to mount the box on a 20mm aluminium profile that will be screwed in to the original mounting points on the back. That should be enough for the drawers to slide completely out.
Also - using the sliding option consisting of bearings and aluminium profile should protect me from lowering the front of the drawers when they are completely out. Haven't checked it in the reality yet, but seems that should work Wink

What is the total weight of your unit? Seem quite heavy, but I may be wrong Thumbs Up
Post #148068630th May 2015 11:19 am
Simon.pl

First day of real work on the project Very Happy

Aluminium rivets used to mount the floor with the sides of the drawer and two parts of the frame together.

Than measured the side of the frame. It's 255mm so decided to keep the middle of the sliding system 130mm from the bottom.

As the bearing is 22mm in diameter, and the aluminium profile is 50mm x 20mm, the middle point of the lower row of bearings will be 94mm from the bottom.

Guiding holes made with 2mm drill.

In fact - this is the most difficult part. To keep everything in line and made the holes precisely enough so it fits together and all bearings are holding weight. I had to re-do two holes as the drill slid a little Evil or Very Mad

But luckily everything ended good Wink

Before drilling in aluminium I made a sample on wood plate - to see if those bearings that are in fact holding most of the weight when the drawer is slid out will work ok. The distance of the first bearing from the front of the frame is 20mm, and the distance to the second one is 140mm. The others are 300mm from each other. Such concept works perfect.

After drilling in aluminium and putting the profile between the bearings it seems like the end of it, when it's slid out drops just around 5mm. So it fits pretty well.

Will work tomorrow on the other sides and hope to see the raw construction working in the evening Thumbs Up
Post #148142931st May 2015 10:27 pm
Simon.pl

Getting closer to the final product Wink

Drawers are a little too tight in the frame. Should have left more room there.

Will have to re-design the sliders, but general idea was OK so keep going Thumbs Up

Post #14829203rd Jun 2015 9:49 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You've got my respect managing to get swmbo to help Bow down Bow down

Post #14829213rd Jun 2015 9:51 pm
Simon.pl

I don't really have to force her 8) I would rather say it's hard to get rid of Mr. Green Especially when something goes wrong and there is constant "question flow" - if you know what I mean Laughing But to be perfectly honest - it's fun doing it together! Thumbs Up
Post #14829273rd Jun 2015 10:01 pm
Shepherd

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

love to have facilities like that Surprised Surprised
 Newbie to disco have just acquired one(wanted one for years)

Disco 3 TDV6 base model
Zermatt silver 

Post #14829543rd Jun 2015 10:55 pm
Iguana

Ukraine 

Cracking work so far and great to see SWMBO employed Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #14829633rd Jun 2015 11:02 pm
Magnet6x6

Oman 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Looks terrific Thumbs Up

How many mm is the ali you're using?

Edit:
Sorry just reread and found it Embarassed
 If we weren't supposed to eat meat why did God make animals taste so good?

Prospeed XRS, traxide, Mitch Hitch, life is good. 

Post #14831054th Jun 2015 11:02 am
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

are the horizontal sliders bought in? been looking for some - where did you source yours?

Post #14831354th Jun 2015 11:48 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Nice work....don't forget the foam padding for the bottles of whisky Wink
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #14831404th Jun 2015 11:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >