Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

DIY Drawer System for Discovery 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Shepherd

It's just a small room in my flat. Wish I had a proper garage or workshop Crying or Very sad But at least I can adopt one room for a moment Wink

Xcentric

You can buy those sliders in every major construction mall in Poland. They are simple aluminium profiles 50x20x2, 1m long.
The problem I'm having now is that I made it too tight and 50x15 would be more appropriate, but they are available just for special order (300kg min Rolling with laughter ) So will have to think things over and probably will cut one side to make more room.
Wish I hadn't changed my mind and made the drawers 410mm wide instead of 415mm..

Eqangibson
There will be nice, soft carpet so all bottles are safe Mr. Green

Thumbs Up
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #14838875th Jun 2015 7:22 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Chicks with powertools.

Be still my beating heart.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #14838985th Jun 2015 8:01 pm
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

One of my friends has been making custom drawer units with another line of thinking:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

So the whole back of the car is a slide, all the way from the back of the front seats.
Water tanks are at the sides again just behind the seats, pipework is under the unit with a tap under the left rear. Tables drop down, drawers slide out the side including the Coffee machine which is run by an inverter.
The stove and fridge are fixed where they are, a flexible LED light strip can be seen folded down along the top side of the unit, it simply stands up when light is required for Cooking and Fridge access.

He bought commercial slides bur was unable to find any both strong enough and extended enough to last.
Fabricating his own runners with steel using ball bearing rollers like you have Simon on the fixed part of the unit.
I've got to say it's Blooming fantastic!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #14843657th Jun 2015 8:12 am
Simon.pl

Looks awesome Mr. Green

Just wouldn't work for me.
Firstly - we travel with the dog. The space where it sits must be blocked, so while we're out from the car she doesn't jump on the front seats. Especially after nice bath in a local water source. Not always smelling nice Rolling with laughter And of course it will sit on top of the drawers, so they can't be too high.
Secondly - I don't quite understand the concept being seen many, many times - the fridge on the very end of the car. My wife used to prepare some sandwiches or hanging for cold beverages while on the road - so we don't have to stop every time we need something from the fridge. So it is fastened on the folded middle seat in the second row and can be accessible every time we need something cold.

Good thing is I can always expand the system to the front, if the future experience will show it needs to be expanded Thumbs Up
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #14844337th Jun 2015 10:55 am
~Rich~

This is for a true 4wd every 2nd weekend vehicle.
Camping every time, setup ready to go.
Maybe suits Aus more than the UK. Wink
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #14844377th Jun 2015 11:07 am
Simon.pl

Yeah - that's for sure. Wish we had such great possibilities of offroad travel as you Aussies have.
I need to travel loooong way to find something, so most of the year the drawer system will be out of the car Thumbs Up
Post #14844447th Jun 2015 11:41 am
Simon.pl

Little update:

As the 50x20 profiles for runners were too thick, decided to use 2x 25x15.

Screws were too long, so had to cut them a little.

And finally found out, that the upper and lower bearings were too close. In fact it was the main problem. Embarassed Expending on one side, while runners were in, they were too close on the other side, pushing the drawer out and causing friction with the frame. Evil or Very Mad Bigger holes and problem solved! Mr. Green
Don't go too tight chaps Rolling with laughter

Finally had to cut my 4 used Discovery 3 floor boards. Cardboard template for sides and front blanks.

And I'm almost there. Not finished yet, but quite happy with the result Mr. Green

Thumbs Up
Post #148708513th Jun 2015 3:37 pm
Simon.pl

Been working on some fittings today.

And glued a carpet into the drawers.

Sanded 'em a little

Then did sides

Bottom

And fitted led stripes for luxury Mr. Green

Thumbs Up
Post #148816515th Jun 2015 11:14 pm
Simon.pl

Seems like I'm done with it! Mr. Green

Drawers ready to be fit in

Final, complete design

And LED stripes on Mr. Green

Thumbs Up
Post #148860216th Jun 2015 11:17 pm
~Rich~

Looks very professional Simon.
Just something which we have to look out for over here ( but don't know if it affects you) is that do you have a locking system for the drawers?
For example on a upward slope if you drop the tailgate the drawers can slide out with speed, also on a downward slope you can't keep the drawer open unless you have some sort of catch that works for both position.
Post #148861416th Jun 2015 11:31 pm
Simon.pl

Thanks Rich Thumbs Up

Yeah - simple solution applied for an upward slope - will post pic later on - when I get it on place Very Happy
Didn't actually think of downward slope Shocked I think I will use my SWMBO for that Mr. Green

Thumbs Up
Post #148862616th Jun 2015 11:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >