DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

MY2014 D4 - USB Issues and watching DVD on move
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Danr

United Kingdom 
MY2014 D4 - USB Issues and watching DVD on move

Hello

Picked up the new D4 to replace my stolen MY2010 I had the dealer fit some side steps and privacy glass.

On the long drive noticed a few things and I have three technical questions:

1. Its HSE with a factory fit sat nav and allows you to watch a dvd while stationary on the sat nav screen . Is there any way of being able to watch dvd whilst driving. The sat nav screen is not a dual view screen and there is no RSE. Audio from the dvd continues to play whilst driving.

2. It wont see mp4 video on a USB stick, it does see the music on the USB stick so it is not a fault with the USB stick. Any solutions?

2. The new D4 has a single USB port in the glove box and it is so so slow at charging my phone. MY old D4 would charge my phone from a direct plug into the USB port to about 50% full in about 2 hours. The new D4 managed to charge my phone by only 10% in four hours of being plugged in. Is it faulty?

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Post #148683212th Jun 2015 11:03 pm
Dudleydisco

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

To answer your questions:

1. It is possible to have the DVD video playing on the front screen, but you'd need to buy and fit a Video on the Move cable to the front screen. From memory, they're about £100 or so.

I did some research a while ago and found that the picture size can be from 32x32 pixels up to 720x576. 720x576 is the PAL standard definition size used on terrestrial TV transmissions and standard DVD,s.

Although it says MP4 files in the manual, what it means is that it will play files that are in an MP4 container format - not files that have a .mp4 file extension. Files need to end in either .avi , .xvid or .divx.

I managed to get some .avi files to play on the front screen, but they wouldn't play on the rears.

I've had most success using .divx. If you don't want to use DIVX VOD files, ( which you have to pay for), then you don't need to bother about registering the player.

DIVX is an old video compression format, so the latest version of Handbrake doesn't support it. The most reliable encoder I've found so far is DIVX converter, which is the freeware codec available from the DIVX website. If you want to rip DVDs onto a USB stick, the I use DVD Decrypter (freeware) to rip the DVD onto my PC hard drive, and then use DIVX converter to encode the .vob files to DIVX. These .vob files are MPEG2, so you will need to purchase the DIVX MPEG plugin from DIVX, which is about £7, although you do get a 15 day free trial period.

As someone else has said here, use the Home Theater preset in DIVX Converter, and then you can choose whether to do a 1 or 2 pass encode. I've found the results of the 1 pass encode acceptable in the car and the encode is quite quick.

Rather than put raw files onto a DVD+R, I've used Nero on my PC to create a DVD from the raw files.

Both Recordable and Re-Writable DVD and CD media are really a hit and miss affair. Some drives will play some but not others - for no explainable reason! Manufacturer, +R, -R, +RW, -RW, write speed etc. all make a difference! You'll stand most chance of it working if you 'Finalise' any disc you use. This makes sure that all the TOC (Table of Contents) data is written in the standard format at the start of the disc.

3. I can't help you with the phone charging, as mine's a MY13 and seems to charge my phone OK.
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
D4 MY13 HSE Lux - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting
110 - Even sadder parting
S3 88" - Still going strong after 23 years of ownership Smile

Post #148686013th Jun 2015 6:56 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: MY2014 D4 - USB Issues and watching DVD on move

Danr wrote:

1. Its HSE with a factory fit sat nav and allows you to watch a dvd while stationary on the sat nav screen . Is there any way of being able to watch dvd whilst driving. The sat nav screen is not a dual view screen and there is no RSE. Audio from the dvd continues to play whilst driving.

Just be aware that if you are caught then this is usually a 3 pointer Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #148689613th Jun 2015 9:52 am
Danr

United Kingdom 

Cheers dudleydisco

I assume the video on move cable is not an LR part. I had a quick search for the cable on the forum so I might pm Hids4u

The ideal solution would be to replace the sat nav screen for the dual view one at the same time. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks for clearing up the mp4 format. I'm having doubts as to the usefulness of the video from usb function. Hd videos will need to be resized and re-encoded which is probably not worth the effort only to get a letter boxed picture.

The cameras don't quite do justice to the resolution of the sat nav screen itself which is pretty good. I took a pic or two of the output this morning while I was waiting for the tracker guys
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #148692413th Jun 2015 10:13 am
Danr

United Kingdom 

Ahhhh! Didn't know that DG so dual view screen would be the way to go?

Post #148692913th Jun 2015 10:16 am
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I seem to recall reading in the manual not to charge from the USB socket... If you need to charge, just get a converter to make a cigar lighter socket into a USB socket. Dirt cheap.

Hope you like the MY2015, I am finding it a big step up on my 2010!
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #148693213th Jun 2015 10:19 am
Danr

United Kingdom 

Haven't had a chance to read the manual yet. It is a MY2014, in hindsight I should have made that clear in my opening post. It is a step up on the 2010, those flappy pddles are going to take some getting used to- unlike to ones in my merc these are far easier to accidentally clip.

I guess it will be a 12v adapter, the usb port reads a memory stick fine so it seems to be working as it should. Another item to add to the shopping list!

Cheers guys.

Post #148700113th Jun 2015 12:02 pm
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I love the flappy paddles! Not so keen on the rotary knob yet - far more stylish but less intuitive.
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #148700713th Jun 2015 12:10 pm
Dudleydisco

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

The screen won't support HD (1080X1024), so yes, you'll need to transcode any HD content down to 720x576 (max). I've not heard of putting a dual view screen in, but I'd assume that it would be quite an expensive mod, as there would be a fair bit of electronics to add as well as the screen.

Have a look at xcarlink.co.uk for VIM cables, and as 747_JK says, use one of the 12v sockets to charge - it's much faster Thumbs Up
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
D4 MY13 HSE Lux - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting
110 - Even sadder parting
S3 88" - Still going strong after 23 years of ownership Smile

Post #148701513th Jun 2015 12:37 pm
Danr

United Kingdom 

Cheers guys. Decided not to mess with screen for the time being. Got the 12v usb adapter and a massive improvement in the charging rate.

I'm not too keen on the rotary knob either at the moment but we'll see how that pans out.

Post #148722113th Jun 2015 8:18 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Danr wrote:
Ahhhh! Didn't know that DG so dual view screen would be the way to go?

If you can get the dual screen to work then yes ....as long as the driver can't see it Smile

Quote:
Under Regulation 109 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, it is an offence to drive a motor vehicle on a road if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television screen showing anything other than information:

(a) about the state of the vehicle or equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle;

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #148722713th Jun 2015 8:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >