Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Key Fob Programming with Nanocom
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
remember5

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
Key Fob Programming with Nanocom

I have a new key from the dealer and my current key that works fine. Using Nanocom I have tried to program the new key but keep getting a message that the key is not initialized. Is there a process I have to go through prior to starting the programming? Lock or unlock the doors, press a button on the FOB, play Black Sabbath backwards or something else?
Regards
john

Post #14017906th Jan 2015 1:56 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Welcome to the forum John.

I'm not familiar enough with the Nanocom to help with the button pressing but I do know of one case in the UK where the dealer supplied a 'new' key that had already been programmed to another vehicle.

Hopefully a Nanocom user will be along shortly.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #14018076th Jan 2015 8:31 am
anjo14

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Key Fob Programming with Nanocom

remember5 wrote:
I have a new key from the dealer and my current key that works fine. Using Nanocom I have tried to program the new key but keep getting a message that the key is not initialized. Is there a process I have to go through prior to starting the programming? Lock or unlock the doors, press a button on the FOB, play Black Sabbath backwards or something else?
Regards
john

John you want to ask that question on the Nanocom Forum as I am sure you will get a quicker response from BBS team unless Flack can help. Plus what Firmware version are you using on your Nanocom Evo 2 as current release is V1.27 and Beta version 1.28B plus you need to download the new SD card updates.
 D3 TDV6 S MY2005  
Post #14018086th Jan 2015 8:36 am
remember5

Thanks anjo, Im fully updated to the latest version of software. Im not getting much of a response on the Nano forum and feel like there's some step I'm missing. The software is reading the good key just not programming the new one. I'm close to taking it to the dealer, just hate to spend the extra bucks on something I feel I should be able to do myself.

Post #14019586th Jan 2015 1:57 pm
anjo14

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Very unusual that you say your not getting a response from Colin and the guys at BBS. I would ask again on the Nanocom forum as they are just from the festive holidays.

John
 D3 TDV6 S MY2005  
Post #14020466th Jan 2015 3:50 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

Officially they're not back from holidays until tomorrow. I'd give it a day or two and hopefully one of them will provide the extra info you need.
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #14020476th Jan 2015 3:52 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

And for best results, I'd start a new thread (probably in the Software or Software Updates section).
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #14020576th Jan 2015 3:59 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The Guys at BBS are not back from there xmas break until tomorrow, so thats why its quiet on there...

There is no voodoo or special way you have to program a key with the Nanocom, its telling you it can't initialize the new key. I suspect the dealer has sold you a key thats been programmed already, but it could still be a problem with the unit.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #14020586th Jan 2015 3:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
remember5

Thanks guys for the input! I had to order the key from the dealer who took my VIN at the time of the order and they cut the metal key part to match which does work in the ignition but won't start. I'll be patient and hopefully get some help on this from the guys at Nanocom. I was worried that there was some additional step that I didn't know to do, thanks Flack for clearing that up!

Just a side note, this is my 4th rover - I traded my DII a couple of years ago and regretted it the day I left the showroom. Finally have been able to get back into this LR3 which I absolutely love. I've had several coolant issues and replaced 2 HVAC motors but there is nothing like a Land Rover. Glad to be here.

Post #14025597th Jan 2015 2:57 am
miller.rhys

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 3

How did you get on with the key programming. I am looking at getting the nanocom myself for this very reason

Post #14217837th Feb 2015 9:15 am
remember5

I was unable to get the Nano to recognize the old key or the new key so I went to the dealer to get it programmed and they were unable to program it as well. There is a failure in communication with the Body Control Module. I noted that the Nanocom was unable to communicate with the BCM but everything on the truck works so I wasn't sure what that meant. In further dialog with the guys on the Nanocom forum they think I have a bad connection, bad fuse, or corrosion on a terminal somewhere. Honestly it's been too cold to work on trouble shooting and since the truck is running fine I'm going to wait until it warms up to try to figure out what the problem is. The Nanocom works fine though so would recommend it as a great tool to have.
 2006 LR3 SE7
4.4 Automatic 

Post #14220247th Feb 2015 4:29 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

remember5

I have come across vehicles where ECU's like the Body control are working and doing their usual job, however diagnostically they do not respond at all, which seems to be your core problem.

This can be a CAN BUS connectivity problem but is very likely to be sorted with a Hard Reset which should be anyones first response and action to solve any weird problem on a CAN BUS based vehicle.

Although the nanocom is a new lower cost Platform for BBS. Diagnostic capability and functionality like Key learning is something we have already done sucessfully and introduced many years ago on the MSV-2.

There is of course always the possibility that when adding this kind of functionality and capability on the Nanocom might introduce bugs or aspects that need a little bit of tweaking, which is why we have Beta Testing software.

However I already know that some owners have sucessfully used a Nanocom to learn a new Key.

Post #14221557th Feb 2015 7:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wenier

New Zealand 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Gidday everyone, figured I'd add this here as well so it can possibly help someone else 1 day.

Just tried to program 2 new keys(I think) for my D3, have latest software and when I go to the Key learn menu and hit Add New Key I get the message "unknown KVM software", and then if I go Key(s) Status I get "communication error".

Can someone explain what is going wrong or how I will be able to program these keys.

This is with the V1.32 firmware, but I do have the BCM updated to allow 3flash and clock on dash, whether this causes an issue I don't know.

Thanks,
Chris
 2015 D4 3.0SDV6  
Post #170998923rd Sep 2016 6:11 pm
Vmdave

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Did we ever get sn answer to this?
I tried programming a key yesterday and I too get the same message. Communication error 1 or unkown KVM hardware.

Post #204693719th Apr 2019 7:27 am
Wenier

New Zealand 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi,

The keys I had clearly weren't new as advertised by seller. Ended up returning those and got a new 1 direct from LR and programmed with no issues at all.
 2015 D4 3.0SDV6  
Post #204694019th Apr 2019 7:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >