Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 68 <123 ... 91011 ... 666768>
markwirral

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Chaps,

John from Hatfields Liverpool has just rang , my D3 fits into the remit to be looked at ,so its going in on Monday next week to be checked.

Excellent site , excellent advise , thanks to all those in the know for the heads up Bow down Thumbs Up

Mark

Post #14027517th Jan 2015 1:16 pm
nigels888

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

mine has just been into stratstones today and got the all clear. however the service guy said they way they check them is by putting a brand new tow ball in and seeing if they move. I thought reading this thread that it was a special tool they used or is the new tow ball the special tool.
I didn't have time to question them when I took it away as was running late so am waiting for a call back to clarify

Post #14036818th Jan 2015 6:27 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 

Shocked

I thought the same as you did nigels888
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #14036888th Jan 2015 6:34 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

This is what they should be doing ...can't see any mention of using a new hitch ...should be the testing with the special gauge tool Confused

DG wrote:

Here and pdf below Rob Thumbs Up

Quote:
workshop procedure
1. check to see if towing electrics and/or towbar are installed. if not, place handbook supplement in vehicle, no further action required.

2. inspect the towbar.

if the vehicle has a multi-height towbar installed, place handbook supplement in the vehicle and release the vehicle.
if the vehicle does not have a multi-height towbar installed, carry on from step 3.
3. carry out a towbar mounting check (see topix workshop manual – body and paint – 502-02).

if the original detachable tow ball release handle does not point to the red area of the special service tool (sst) jlr-501-201, release the vehicle as no further action is required.
if the original detachable tow ball release handle points to the red area of the special service tool (sst) jlr-501-201, install a new detachable tow ball and carry out the towbar mounting check again. if the new tow ball release handle still points to the red area of the sst, carry on to step 4 (please be certain that the sst is clearly in the red area as the crossmember replacement is an invasive procedure)..
if the tow ball release handle now points away from the red area of the sst, carry on from step 6 and install a new multi-height towbar (lr007484) (do not replace the crossmember).
4. install a new rear crossmember (see topix workshop manual – body and paint – 502-02).

to carry out the painting of the rear crossmember refer to the policy and procedure manual.

http://www.disco4.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10510/WSM-16779.pdf
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14036908th Jan 2015 6:36 pm
nigels888

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

thanks DG thought that was the case. as said waiting for them to phone to phone me back to clarify

Post #14036938th Jan 2015 6:41 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
This is what they should be doing ...can't see any mention of using a new hitch ...should be the testing with the special gauge tool Confused

DG wrote:

Here and pdf below Rob Thumbs Up

Quote:
workshop procedure
1. check to see if towing electrics and/or towbar are installed. if not, place handbook supplement in vehicle, no further action required.

2. inspect the towbar.

if the vehicle has a multi-height towbar installed, place handbook supplement in the vehicle and release the vehicle.
if the vehicle does not have a multi-height towbar installed, carry on from step 3.
3. carry out a towbar mounting check (see topix workshop manual – body and paint – 502-02).

if the original detachable tow ball release handle does not point to the red area of the special service tool (sst) jlr-501-201, release the vehicle as no further action is required.
if the original detachable tow ball release handle points to the red area of the special service tool (sst) jlr-501-201, install a new detachable tow ball and carry out the towbar mounting check again. if the new tow ball release handle still points to the red area of the sst, carry on to step 4 (please be certain that the sst is clearly in the red area as the crossmember replacement is an invasive procedure)..
if the tow ball release handle now points away from the red area of the sst, carry on from step 6 and install a new multi-height towbar (lr007484) (do not replace the crossmember).
4. install a new rear crossmember (see topix workshop manual – body and paint – 502-02).

to carry out the painting of the rear crossmember refer to the policy and procedure manual.

http://www.disco4.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10510/WSM-16779.pdf

Question
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #14037768th Jan 2015 7:54 pm
David_Ritzema

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I'm just following up on my post last week.

I took my D4 into my local dealer today for a towbar check, as arranged, and explained again the reason why it was booked-in. After approximately 15 minutes, the service manager returned to advise that he could find nothing wrong with the detachable towbar. I then spent a few minutes with him outlining the nature of the heavy duty towing I regularly undertook and summarising the terms of service bulletin Q393. He then went away to read the bulletin and the associated documentation before returning to let me know that thery were now checking the towbar with the specified gauge.

After waiting for another 15 minutes or so, he returned to advise that he had ordered the parts for a fixed towbar for fitting next week FOC.

Based upon my experience and other comments above on this thread, it would appear that there are dealers who are unaware of the detailed procedures / measurements they should undertake. It is therefore worthwhile standing your ground and making your case for a fitting a fixed towbar under the terms of Q393.

Post #14038098th Jan 2015 8:24 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Robbie wrote:

Question

I did say I can't see it Whistle Laughing

...however the procedure the OP describes is still not correct even with a new towbar Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14038168th Jan 2015 8:37 pm
MattTheTall77

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

So basically, from the procedure info, what they do is...

If the release handle is ok based on the special service tool, on your way as all is good, for now (touch wood).

If it hits red, try another removale towbar. If still an issue with the new one, the crossmember needs changing. If not, then instead of getting a replacement removable towbar, they fit a multi height one (no need to touch wood).

The fact they aren't replacing with removable ones, are they either low on stock or just going for the safer option?

My removable doesn't seem to wobble, not sure about the release handle so will book it in. I've stopped towing the horse trailer for now though.

Post #14038668th Jan 2015 9:22 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I phoned my dealer on Tuesday about this and to see about booking in, I got the impression they knew about it to start with, but I was then told they needed to check and would call back in 30 minutes, strangely I am still waiting. So it does seem the information hasn't reached everywhere yet.
 Andy

Post #14038708th Jan 2015 9:25 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The service action was posted on here the day it was released on TOPIx on 18th December so it's entirely feasible that some dealerships will have been on the ball and picked it up straight away ...others may not be awake after the xmas break yet or not aware until a letter drops on their desk.

Each vehicle that gets connected up to the magic electrickery diagnosis machine should show this action as an outstanding campaign. Smile
Post #14039678th Jan 2015 10:39 pm
cdf

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Sorry if someone has asked this before but i couldn't see a post with it.
as this is not a recall will all owners be contacted by land rover or is it up to the dealer to contact customers.
Then is it only factory fit and dealer fitted towbars.
If that is the case what happens to cars like mine that have a lr one fitted at a later date and don't have the over priced bit of packing fitted for when its not in use ,my removable tow bar spends its free time in a carrier bag on the barn floor. as i have only used it twice in two years it none of this affects me but i was just curious how this is going to be implemented as some people have been contacted and some not.

Post #14040348th Jan 2015 11:38 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

They (LR) are writing to all registered owners

Quote:
Jaguar Land Rover will be contacting owners of the affected vehicles as communication is required to make customers aware of the importance of using the correct towbar based on their towing needs.

..I don't believe you will be quizzed about when you acquired the bar Smile
Post #14040418th Jan 2015 11:45 pm
cdf

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Thanks DG Thumbs Up

Post #14040929th Jan 2015 12:39 am
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Chased up my dealer and just received a call back, they seemed quite interested to know how I knew, but basically told me it is nothing for me to worry about and it will be dealt with the next time the vehicle comes in.

I was told they need to put a blue sticker on the towbar and a note in the handbook (wasn't told why or for what purpose). They also said it was a bit like years ago when warning notices needed to be added to sofas telling you not to put lit matches on them!!!

I was tempted to explain more about it etc but frankly I couldn't be bothered as it will be due a services in a couple of months so will try again then, plus I don't anticipate towing between now and then.

I really hate being so far from an alternative dealer.
 Andy

Post #14042739th Jan 2015 12:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 10 of 68 <123 ... 91011 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >