Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 68 <123 ... 789 ... 666768>
Wolfpack

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Surely an explanation of the REASON for removing it would clarify the FREQUENCY of removing it?

Post #14011995th Jan 2015 12:42 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

countrywide wrote:

Are you saying you would tow to the camp site for a night, remove the tow bar and then in the morning put it back on to drive home.

If we are getting down to owners requiring this level of clarification then I think that LR shouldn't be even trying to explain ...they should be enacting a permanent confiscation of vehicles by recall to help save people from themselves. Rolling Eyes Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14012305th Jan 2015 1:11 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I was just highlighting why your view of the statement was not really accurate. Of course you would 't do that. But by the same token my example of the person using it three days a week is valid.

It is the change of use and being told to never leave it attached is a different statement to the one you are defending. So I think you have highlighted with your own answer that it is was not as "obvious" as you claim to sensible people.

Post #14012375th Jan 2015 1:20 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I disagree tbh ...the major differences that I recognise in the statements involve the words "should" and "must" but both statements still ultimately require the same action "when not in use".

Incidentally the new advice would also leave you thinking that it must be detached in your camping scenario Smile So how would you write up the correct wording CW ? Whistle Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14012505th Jan 2015 1:45 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

It would be covered by occasional use, 3 days a week is not occasional. A camping trip 4 or 5 times a year is and leaving it attached during those trips would not be a issue.

The difference you have missed is the type of use, that is very different and has been defined to some extent.

The complete statement has changed when you read all of it, a clarification of use has been added. If it hadn't then you could use a detachable every day or most days and as long as you were using it, the statement you refer to would mean it could just stay on. But we now know it should not be used for more than occasional use and even if you did remove it on the odd day, it is not suitable.

Sorry DG but the statement you refer is not reflecting the current situation at all and despite saying all sensible people would have known from the old instructions is just not true.

Post #14012685th Jan 2015 2:02 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

We will have to agree to disagree. It's all about interpretation as they say Thumbs Up

Quote:
saying all sensible people would have known from the old instructions is just not true.

Be interesting to do a poll on how many people, sensible or not, have ever read the instructions Laughing
Post #14012775th Jan 2015 2:13 pm
countrywide

We will have to disagree Thumbs Up

I think the poll result will look like the score we get in the Euro Vision song contest Rolling with laughter

Post #14012915th Jan 2015 2:40 pm
ROY_H

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Since this thread popped up, I've been doing my own visual survey of D3/4s I see and the towbars.
I'd say 75-80% of those I see driving round solo have the towbar still in place.
Are these frequent users who have just dropped a trailer off somewhere or going to fetch one ?

My gut tells me NO. They've put the bar in and left it in for convenience. This suggests to me that very few owners are reading/interpreting the instructions as requiring the bar to be removed. Who's fault is this ? LR for ambiguous instructions ? Dealers for not making it clear (though people could easily purchase a towbar after they've bought the car) ? Owners for sheer laziness ?

Who knows, the question is, at the end of the day is the design fit for purpose.
I personally love the idea of an easily detachable towbar but is this one the right design. Wouldn't a NAS style fitting be more robust at the end of the day.
 Morris Dancers: Drinkers with A Dance Problem  
Post #14013105th Jan 2015 3:14 pm
Wolfpack

I see the Hoegh Osaka had 1200 LR vehicles on board....I bet they all had their towballs fitted and that's the cause for it listing to starboard! Rolling Eyes

Post #14013485th Jan 2015 4:16 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I don't think there is anything wrong with the design, especially the later version with the ratchet behind the green handle to prevent reverse-rotation of the handle in use.

If it is removed when not is use, less chance of dirt getting in the works and seizing it up. preventing proper insertion.

If you were disciplined enough, you could probably leave it in the vehicle so long as you regularly removed and serviced it.

Now, how many of us have lost the orange blank to stop dirt getting in the socket when the tow bar is removed? Whistle

Post #14013675th Jan 2015 4:54 pm
ROY_H

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Wolfpack wrote:
I see the Hoegh Osaka had 1200 LR vehicles on board....I bet they all had their towballs fitted and that's the cause for it listing to starboard! Rolling Eyes

All the towballs are stored in the nearside pockets.........no way the tin-foil jacks would balance them Thumbs Up
 Morris Dancers: Drinkers with A Dance Problem  
Post #14013995th Jan 2015 6:01 pm
Wolfpack

Gareth wrote:

If it is removed when not is use, less chance of dirt getting in the works and seizing it up. preventing proper insertion.

I would have thought there was more chance of damage or getting muck onto the contact surfaces when they are separated????

Gareth wrote:
Now, how many of us have lost the orange blank to stop dirt getting in the socket when the tow bar is removed? Whistle

Or never had one ....as the previous owner lost it!

Post #14014045th Jan 2015 6:07 pm
Wolfpack

ROY_H wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:

All the towballs are stored in the nearside pockets.........no way the tin-foil jacks would balance them Thumbs Up

Good point!

So, as long as LR owners dont start unhitching and stowing their towballs during long ferry crossings, all should be well in the channel this year. Very Happy

Post #14014065th Jan 2015 6:10 pm
Lukey

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Detachable Towhitch.

Hi all, on the subject of this type of hitch failing does anyone know of any accurate recorded description of how the hitch failed, ie. was it down to metal fatigue on the locking pin due to sideways wear thus causing a shear, was it due to not fully locating owing to burrs etc. preventing correct location or was it due to negligent fitting by the owner?
I would have thought that far more hitch locks fail than tow hitches, if so then these manufactures should also have a free of charge replacement scheme if being used for very frequent towing thus the hitch lock also not being fit for purpose. But of course they will say that regular maintenance of the hitch lock and its friction pads is required by the owner to have carried out in order for it to be safe.
Surely anything that is detachable, by definition has moving parts that also require the same amount of care and maintenance, cleaning and light lubrication for example, correct operation of the locking mechanism and correct cleaning and stowage of the tow hitch after its use, not after arriving on site but after the overall trip is completed thus being ready for the next one. If this type of hitch is used continuously day in day out for fairly heavy towing, upwards of 750kg. then sideways wear etc. will occur and will be exacerbated by ingress of road grime and grit thus making the wear worse. A fixed hitch should be fitted. Apart from the variable height ones, most of these still use the same location method but with the addition of side fixings to prevent movement. Still be interested though on how the detachable ones failed. Cheers, Lukey. Surprised If there is a known Inherent problem that no amount of TLC can eradicate then we who tow should be made fully aware of it. I only know because of this site, perhaps a full recall is needed?

Post #14014185th Jan 2015 6:29 pm
Wolfpack

OK ...Ive booked my D4 in to be checked on Wednesday. Looks/feels ok to me...but what do I know?

Of course, assuming its ok, will this inspection be added to the annual service from now on? Or are we expected to arrange it at another frequency?

Post #14014455th Jan 2015 6:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 68 <123 ... 789 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >