Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Fuel Caps and Syphoning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Fuel Caps and Syphoning

It may be all very convienient to have a locking flap over the Filler Cap, but it won't stop someone prising it open.

As there any anti-syphoning features on the D3's filler pipe to prevent the tank being emptied. Just remembering back to the stories of the 1970s when fuel theft was common during the fuel crisis.

On an associated note, Petrol stations round here have such long queues this afternoon I'm sure it won't be long before they run out. With Rockingham coming up on Sunday I don't want to get down and not have enough to get back up again.

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #1700513th Sep 2005 3:12 pm
BN

England 
Re: Fuel Caps and Syphoning

Coffeecup wrote:
It may be all very convienient to have a locking flap over the Filler Cap, but it won't stop someone prising it open.

As there any anti-syphoning features on the D3's filler pipe to prevent the tank being emptied. Just remembering back to the stories of the 1970s when fuel theft was common during the fuel crisis.

On an associated note, Petrol stations round here have such long queues this afternoon I'm sure it won't be long before they run out. With Rockingham coming up on Sunday I don't want to get down and not have enough to get back up again.

I couldn't agree more. I am trying to contact Vince right now about what options we have for fuel and/or the day. Will report back when I have spoken to him.

Post #1700813th Sep 2005 3:27 pm
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I've current got the loan of my dealers D3 whilst mine is in to find out where in the suspension a leak is, and until this afternoon, when I received the 20L jerry cans that I ordered on Monday afternoon from www.screwfix.com (next day delivery!! Smile ) I had to put fuel in the loan D3, thinking I could siphon it into the cans. Well you know what they say about the best laid plans, they all go to pieces Sad. You may be able to prise open the filler flap, in my case I just opened it, but even with a copious amount of small bore tube I couldn't retrieve the diesel from within. There must be an anti-siphon mechanism down their somewhere!!

So alas I had to then find a petrol station still with diesel, as all the ones around me are already dry!! Good news though, I thought a bit laterally and the M4 services at Membury had lots, so lots of diesel stashed away for any long term fuel chaos. For all those out there diesel is perfectly safe and very hard to ignite so quite safe stored at home in the garage in 20L jerry cans.

Smile

Post #1709513th Sep 2005 10:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Big Al wrote:
For all those out there diesel is perfectly safe and very hard to ignite so quite safe stored at home in the garage in 20L jerry cans.

Smile

Hi Al,

Very true but I pretty sure there are laws on how much fuel you are allowed to store at home, can't remember how much but I'll try to find out

Si
 The End  
Post #1709713th Sep 2005 10:43 pm
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Hi Slimer,

I just knew someone was going to pick me up on the diesel stored at home. I haven't got the millions of litres that I'd like, but enough in seperate 20L jerry cans safely stored away from all sources of possible ignition, for any travels over the next week.

I'm also taking the train Sad rather than my normal option of driving to the outskirts of London. This is costing £120 return, and will no doubt take considerably longer than the 1.5 hour drive as normal. I drive to the outskirts then take a local train into the centre.

Gordon Brown (Antichrist!!!), John (2 Jags) Presscott (Devil) we be pleased that I'm using their lousy and expensive train service. Believe me I wouldn't if I didn't have to Sad sharing with people I'd rather not, and being subserviant to the minions in the rail industry.

I'm not a political person, but a little peeved about how the government are supposed to be OUR servants, and it's about time they took notice over our concerns on excessive taxation. If we demonstrate then we're in the wrong and they say we should try over means. If we lobby them they merely ignore us. Tax in this country is extreame and it was worth noticing that Brown et al and all the other EU chancillors ganged together to show a united front on petrol taxation, plus blame everyone else without even considering over 60% in this country is their doing. Guy Faulkes had the right idea, but I'd rather burn Gordon Brown et al at the stake, fuelled by excessively taxed pertrol that even I wouldn't mind donating to such a worthy cause. Smile

The only other way I can think is something that I've adopted, which is not to fill up at either Esso or BP. If enough people did this, they would pressure government, and/or lower their prices to entise people back to them by lowering prices. Then in turn all the other petrol stations would have to follow suit. No demonstrating, or lobbying involved but if enough people did this I could guarantee results as Esso and BP would soon feel the pinch and play ball.

Post #1711313th Sep 2005 11:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Coffeecup

Just to let you know, Screw fix nolonger have Jerry cans for sale... Confused

Coffeecup

Post #1711513th Sep 2005 11:46 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

They appear to have sold out Shocked
Plenty of other places have them if you want some.

I was considering getting a couple for the D3 for when Brian takes us on trips further afield but I don't know where to mount them. Unlike Defenders there's no handy places on the outside, I don't like the thought of putting fuel cans up on a roof rack and if put inside the smell would fairly quickly make you take them out. Some sort of tow-bar mount may be the answer....
 The End  
Post #1711913th Sep 2005 11:55 pm
Coffeecup

I've got a 1 Gallon can in the boot, but it is inside an ex-army box that the lid almost seals when clamped shut. Never get any fumes in the car, though there are plenty when you open the lid of the box. Keep the spare bulb kit in the box as well as a bit of lashing rope.

Regarding mounting a can outside the car, the only way I can think of is to mount the 'rack' onto the lower half of the boot. You wouldn't be able to open the top half of the boot with the can in place, but then again even if you could you couldn't get to the boot area over the top of the can.

So it would be a case of removing the Jerry Can, and then opening the top of the boot.

Ah. Great idea now fails. You wouldn't be able to open the lower half of the boot because of the 'jerry can rack'. Oh well it was an idea.

Coffeecup

Post #1712014th Sep 2005 12:01 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Big Al wrote:
Hi Slimer,

I just knew someone was going to pick me up on the diesel stored at home. I haven't got the millions of litres that I'd like, but enough in seperate 20L jerry cans safely stored away from all sources of possible ignition, for any travels over the next week.
I don't have any issues with it Al, just thought it was worth pointing out incase anyone was considering having a few 100 Gal drums in the back garden Shocked Very Happy

Big Al wrote:
I'm also taking the train Sad rather than my normal option of driving to the outskirts of London. This is costing £120 return, and will no doubt take considerably longer than the 1.5 hour drive as normal. I drive to the outskirts then take a local train into the centre.

Gordon Brown (Antichrist!!!), John (2 Jags) Presscott (Devil) we be pleased that I'm using their lousy and expensive train service. Believe me I wouldn't if I didn't have to Sad sharing with people I'd rather not, and being subserviant to the minions in the rail industry.

I'm not a political person, but a little peeved about how the government are supposed to be OUR servants, and it's about time they took notice over our concerns on excessive taxation. If we demonstrate then we're in the wrong and they say we should try over means. If we lobby them they merely ignore us. Tax in this country is extreame and it was worth noticing that Brown et al and all the other EU chancillors ganged together to show a united front on petrol taxation, plus blame everyone else without even considering over 60% in this country is their doing. Guy Faulkes had the right idea, but I'd rather burn Gordon Brown et al at the stake, fuelled by excessively taxed pertrol that even I wouldn't mind donating to such a worthy cause. Smile
What can I say.. very well put Very Happy Very Happy

Big Al wrote:
The only other way I can think is something that I've adopted, which is not to fill up at either Esso or BP. If enough people did this, they would pressure government, and/or lower their prices to entise people back to them by lowering prices. Then in turn all the other petrol stations would have to follow suit. No demonstrating, or lobbying involved but if enough people did this I could guarantee results as Esso and BP would soon feel the pinch and play ball.
The problem with that, as Brian pointed out to someone recently on here, is the supermarkets and similar all buy their fuel from the big oil companies so you're not really going to hurt them much, they'll sell just as much fuel just less of it will be branded as theirs and not have the extra additives they add to make the branded stuff a little bit better. I think realistically pressure on the government from industry rather than us little men is the only thing that's likely to have any effect on the ridiculous amounts of tax (67% + the VAT now I hear) we pay on fuel Sad

Simon

PS. Good to see you on here again, it's been a while Smile
 The End  
Post #1712114th Sep 2005 12:11 am
Coffeecup

How much different is Diesel from Heating Oil.

It's just that you are allowed pretty large tanks of that stuff, as long as it's x metres away from the property.

Just a thought if someone knows the answer.

Coffeecup

Post #1713314th Sep 2005 8:27 am
BN

England 

Simple, heating oil comes basically in two grades premium and red. They are both technically red diesel, but the premium has clean burn additives.

They will run a diesel very nicely, but if stopped and red is found in your tank, big problem as the tax is at 7.5% and Mr Brown all techy about beating him.

The other way is to go to the local Chinese or Chip shop take away. Get their vegatable oil, filter it and mix 93 parts of oil to 3 parts white spirit, just smells like the chipshop if you are following.

Post #1713614th Sep 2005 8:37 am
Coffeecup

I asked the question on the basis of storage of large amounts of Diesel, rather than using 'Red' Diesel in the D3.

So rather than have serval Jerry Cans piled up in the corner of the garden, couldn't a heating oil tank be put in and then vehicle diesel stored in it, without breaching any fire regulations on storing flamable liquids.

Coffeecup

Post #1714214th Sep 2005 9:21 am
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Slimer wrote:
They appear to have sold out Shocked
Plenty of other places have them if you want some.

I was considering getting a couple for the D3 for when Brian takes us on trips further afield but I don't know where to mount them. Unlike Defenders there's no handy places on the outside, I don't like the thought of putting fuel cans up on a roof rack and if put inside the smell would fairly quickly make you take them out. Some sort of tow-bar mount may be the answer....

I bought a stainless steel jerry can awhile back, it is luverly but costs an arm and leg (no rust mind you) essential kit mind you for D3 owners. Rolling Eyes
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #1714714th Sep 2005 9:52 am
BN

England 

Coffeecup wrote:
I asked the question on the basis of storage of large amounts of Diesel, rather than using 'Red' Diesel in the D3.

So rather than have serval Jerry Cans piled up in the corner of the garden, couldn't a heating oil tank be put in and then vehicle diesel stored in it, without breaching any fire regulations on storing flamable liquids.

Yes you can store upto 10,000 litres of Diesel on your property, providing it is for your sole use and not resale. It also has to be approved by the Environment Agency if you are near a river or delicate site etc. Then find out whether you can get the oil company to deliver low volumes to you, normally they only like to drop 50,000 litres at a time. The price is slightly lower than the pump price, but you still pay the tax on it. The tank has to be bunded as well, by the way.

10,000 should run 2 D3's for a year each covering about 35,000 miles.

Post #1715214th Sep 2005 10:43 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Dom Harvey wrote:
I bought a stainless steel jerry can awhile back, it is luverly but costs an arm and leg (no rust mind you) essential kit mind you for D3 owners. Rolling Eyes

Sounds a bit bling for a D3 owner Dom Laughing
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #1715614th Sep 2005 11:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >