Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Hook-Up tripping problems advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4
Hook-Up tripping problems advice please

We have put our new My14 caravan on a seasonal pitch this year, just by way of a change. But having been caravanning for years I'm always mindful not to overload the system and turn heaters off especially before using a electric kettle, also not being an electrician I'm confused at the problems we are getting this weekend.

The site we are on - all Hook-Up's are 16amp, or so they claim. at the weekend being much colder we had one 2Kw fan heater only on in the awning which kept tripping the power, but not in the van circuit breakers, but at the hook-up point itself. I tried a couple of spare heaters just in case the first one was sensitive or faulty but others were the same result.

I sat there and watched this trip with no additional load being applied in the van, I.E no one had turned on a kettle or the microwave and as the van is new with all LED lighting and the only thing on in the van was the fridge/freezer, the colour running off 12 volt and the Alde CH running off the gas . The response from the acting site manager was - ah well it will be your heater then - which I doubt Shocked

On the other hand, some friends of ours just also moved onto a different part of the site this weekend and walking into their caravan/awning was like going into your local branch of Curry's/PC world they had so much running off the one 16am outlet with no problems I couldn't believe it, and they said the only time theirs tripped out was when they turned on the kettle and forgot everything else was on.

In fact we've been on our pitch since about June without any problems ourselves and the only thing I can point the finger at which has changed is that a brand new Winnebago 5th wheeler as big as the QE2 and looks like it would need its own sub-station has moved onto the pitch next to ours and is using the same hook-up stand as us, but obviously a different outlet. So could this in any way be part of the problem as I did a couple of weeks back run 2 x fan heaters on 1Kw setting overnight without tripping before this monster moved in ? and why is it not first tripping out our van circuit box which I thought was supposed to always happen in the first place, or could the electrical system in our new van be at fault ?

I do plan next weekend to experiment and plug our van into a different hook-up outlet, but because we are quite away from the nearest one ill have to join 2 power cables together to reach before I can test this theory.

Any thoughts appreciated Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #137495117th Nov 2014 3:48 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

When your van plug in point trips does it take out the whole pole or just you. Depending on how it is set up it is possible that the RV is actually taking the whole pole out and not you. Remember when you run off the next pole and use two cables there potentially will be a voltage drop due to the distance covered. What about taking your heater to your friends awning and try it there. Can the RV be connected to another post easier than you moving to another post?
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #137495817th Nov 2014 4:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
highbayrack

Russell, no when it trips its not taking out the whole pole only us. This RV has everything electrically that you can imagine and they are not having any problems, I'm not saying they run it all at once but it seems odd their not especially with huge domestic sized fridge/freezer dishwashers/washing machines, 40" TV ect ect and their boiler sounds like it would run a small village when it fires up, OK it runs on gas but it must have a pump.
And no it would be no easier for them to plug into another pole as we are both quite isolated from all the others. I did think about taking my heater to our friends van, but could see no point as it does it with any of the 3 heaters we happen to have and two of them are brand new.

I still cant get my head around why its tripping first at the pole and not first in our van maybe our circuit breaker is the problem and ill need to get in contact with the manufacturer Shocked
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)

Post #137497017th Nov 2014 4:21 pm
kevin-t

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I'me no expert, however had a situation like this myself a while back.
Bought a 2kw (fan)heater for the van, kept tripping, turned the heater setting down on start up then up, gradualy to find it blow around 4/5ths full power.
Got rid and have a oil filled 1.5kw on perminant now, when we at the van.

Maybe the heater is under rated!

Just my two-penneth

Post #137498217th Nov 2014 4:51 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Although its stated as a 16amp connection that may not be the case. It all depends on the total being used by that part of the circuit (Not post). We have had the same many times.

Post #137498417th Nov 2014 4:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

Couple more thoughts, the pole normally has more than two outlets can you plug into one of the others? Can you be a bit sneaky and when the RV owners are not there swap outlets with them just to try to see if it still keeps tripping. Have you got h Alde heating on in the can as well, just a thought as the heater ill be pulling about 8 amps and if you have the alde heating on that will be pulling similar, two together would probably trip pole and neither on there on would trip van alone as they are on different circuits
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #137498617th Nov 2014 4:59 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

As Russell has suggested, try another hook-up point. Some of the circuit-breakers can get weak over a period of time and will trip at the slightest draw. A couple of years ago, I was in France where there was only 6A hook up. One chap plugged in, and each time he switched something on in the caravan, it tripped out. The site owner tried a different hook-up point, and all was well.

Post #137500417th Nov 2014 5:32 pm
al cope

England 

I have also done the sneaky swap of plugs on the post when facing this issue in France. Other happy camper was still OK (possibly drawing less current than us), so we were all happy.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #137502517th Nov 2014 6:19 pm
highbayrack

I think your right guys, and just don't believe we might be actually getting the full 16 amps at our particular outlet for what ever reason. I will do some covert plug swapping next weekend Whistle , I'll get the kids to cause a distraction Rolling with laughter We do have an oil filled radiator at the van also, only problem with them as Kevin-t points out is they need to be on permanently to be anywhere near as affective as a fan, so I might start with the fan to take the chill off then switch to the oil filled and just leave it on the whole time Thumbs Up

Post #137508417th Nov 2014 7:49 pm
will247

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

We recently put in some hook ups for a small festival... believe it or not over half of the 300 caravans opted for the 20quid for a three day 4amp hook up. We restricted them to 4amps as 200 x 4amps is a Censored load of power... providing they were all using 4 amps at the same time!

Everyone was fine bar one lady in a pretty large motor home and her supply kept tripping with nothing plugged in or turned on... turned out her metronome was drawing 4 amps pretty much all the time. Didn't work out what on, I got grumpy when she started shrieking at me and I turned around and walked off to do the other 300billion things I had on my plate!

I just used my clamp meter and a special lead I have to check the draw. Mine was pretty expensive but you can pick them up like the post on here ... http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic120287.html?highlight=fluke

You'd also need to make up a 16Amp male to Female cable with a separate live as you can't put the clamp meter around L N and E as it won't work so you'd have to make the cable so you can clamp just the Live.

Seems like a lot of work but at least you'd know what the crack is!!

Will
 26 and on the 4th LR..
Series 2a 1963 88'' 2.25 Derv as original with Galv chassis
Disco 1 1996 V8 on LPG (sold now)
Disco 3 2005 TDV6 S (sold now)
Disco 4 MY15 XS Commercial

Post #137511617th Nov 2014 8:35 pm
peterburnett

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

We had a similar problem at a CC CL we were advised to run fridge off gas, no more problems.

Post #137514017th Nov 2014 9:03 pm
highbayrack

will247 wrote:
We recently put in some hook ups for a small festival... believe it or not over half of the 300 caravans opted for the 20quid for a three day 4amp hook up. We restricted them to 4amps as 200 x 4amps is a Censored load of power... providing they were all using 4 amps at the same time!

Everyone was fine bar one lady in a pretty large motor home and her supply kept tripping with nothing plugged in or turned on... turned out her metronome was drawing 4 amps pretty much all the time. Didn't work out what on, I got grumpy when she started shrieking at me and I turned around and walked off to do the other 300billion things I had on my plate!

I just used my clamp meter and a special lead I have to check the draw. Mine was pretty expensive but you can pick them up like the post on here ... http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic120287.html?highlight=fluke

You'd also need to make up a 16Amp male to Female cable with a separate live as you can't put the clamp meter around L N and E as it won't work so you'd have to make the cable so you can clamp just the Live.

Seems like a lot of work but at least you'd know what the crack is!!

Will

Cheers Will Thumbs Up but with my luck and electrics, if I started messing with things like that, the new RV next to us and the old couple who live in it could find themselves being the next Rosetta comet proble Rolling with laughter

Post #137516617th Nov 2014 9:34 pm
highbayrack

Peterburnett, that sounds like a plan to reduce the draw Thumbs Up As its a seasonal pitch we leave on electrics to the fridge/freezer as sometimes we may not go for a couple of weeks or more. However no reason we can't switch over to gas at the touch of a button when we are there. Definately give that a try Thumbs Up

Post #137517817th Nov 2014 9:43 pm
RAW

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

You just need to get a a local sparky to clamp your load and see what you are drawing, it's a quick simple job, also get him to check the set up where you are plugging in I know a lot of sites that have a 10amp breaker on 16amp hook ups
 MY18 RRS Autobiography Fuji White
MY15 D4 silver Commercial
MY11 D4 Fuji White Landmark (Gone)
MY11 D4 Silver Commercial(Gone)
Isuzu Utah D Max(Gone)
John Deere Gator HPX
Nifty Lift HR12
Kubota KX41-2 

Post #137522017th Nov 2014 10:45 pm
highbayrack

Thanks RAW I'm sure I can find one. The other thing is, with 7 kids I should have had my load clamped years ago Rolling with laughter

Post #137523017th Nov 2014 10:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >