Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

f@#%king brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
al cope

England 
f@#%king brakes

So after having 3 sets of front discs and pads, and 2 sets on the rear, along with new front hubs in sept, i am right now sitting at michealwood services with a glowing red rear nearside disc!!!

This car and its brakes are driving me mad.

Awaiting greenflag recovery. Might be a bit late for me tea

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #137176111th Nov 2014 7:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Sorry to hear that your woes continue Al.

Hopefully this will get the callipers changed; something we have hoped for for a good while.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #137179911th Nov 2014 8:03 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

I had this. mine was not the discs pads or calipers. It was the handbrake shoes dragging. when I replaced the discs, shoes and pads I adjusted the hand brake with a little extra clearance but not so much that the epd unit was pulling up too much cable. My brake disc had a crack right through the middle from one side to the other. Once things are sorted they seem to last well. the handbrake shoes need regular titivating.
 D4  
Post #137184611th Nov 2014 9:10 pm
UKJay

England 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyLR4

May I ask what mileage you are changing your rears and how much towing?

Post #137185711th Nov 2014 9:31 pm
Robbie

Al has been going through discs and pads like some go through tanks of fuel. This has been quite a saga for him - see his thread on braking issues.

Diagnostics for:

Post #137186011th Nov 2014 9:35 pm
UKJay

England 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyLR4

Thanks Robbie - will have a read.

Post #137186311th Nov 2014 9:40 pm
al cope

England 

Cheers Guys

I do think that this is dragging handbrake shoe issue this time, as I had this very same thing on my first D3. It was the center of the disc (hub part) that was glowing red. Just rechecked, new rear discs were fitted in Sept by main dealer, so surely no "titivation" needed this soon!!

Its also now out of warrenty, so interesting conversation going to happen with dealer later this morning.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #137203312th Nov 2014 9:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

Well if it was the inside that was red there is no doubt that the EPB was the cause. No doubt it will be quite a mess in there and even if the vehicle is out of warranty I would expect them to honour work that has been done in the last year.

Good luck.

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Post #137206212th Nov 2014 10:31 am
al cope

England 

well just got it dropped off at dealers, will await their inspection and comments..

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #137211212th Nov 2014 11:57 am
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

al cope wrote:
Cheers Guys

I do think that this is dragging handbrake shoe issue this time, as I had this very same thing on my first D3. It was the center of the disc (hub part) that was glowing red. Just rechecked, new rear discs were fitted in Sept by main dealer, so surely no "titivation" needed this soon!!

Its also now out of warrenty, so interesting conversation going to happen with dealer later this morning.

Al

Mine had one ( which I found odd ) new handbrake shoe replaced under warranty in the August I bought the car when it was 3 years 3 months old in november and shortly after had a squeek squeek noise form the rear near side disc when rolling along and not touching the brake.

Shortly after this a really bad vibration when braking. When I stripped the drum off the warranty side lining had lifted off and joined the other one on the other side probably overheating the disc.
I have a feeling the dealers are adjusting the brakes up too much. I have fitted new shoes pads and discs adjusted the shoes for clearance not touched or tried to adjust the epb and could not get it into calibration mode so did not bother.
The car just passed the hand brake test on mot and when jacked and hand brake released the wheels turn freely. There is a tad more noise from the epb than you get when freshly adjusted but I will live with that.
I would have thought a car mostly used on the road a quick look behind the drums every 6 months and a good strip and grease once a year should be more than enough.
But :
A good couple of sessions green laning or off road days and you will be stripping and servicing every few weeks.
 D4  
Post #137236612th Nov 2014 8:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >