DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Sump Plug
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Sump Plug

Does anyone know exactly where the sump plug is on the TDV6? I've been looking on GTR but the relevant page seems to be missing.
I'm a little concerned that I'm going to have to remove the sump guard I've just fitted everytime the oil needs changing Crying or Very sad Basically if it's behind the first undershield (nearest the front) I'm stuffed as this is totally covered now, if it's behind the second one (which seems more logical as it's slightly lower) I should be okay but I'll need to test to see if it can be removed without removing the sump guard first before I take it in for any servicing.

Si
 The End  
Post #1686012th Sep 2005 9:52 pm
BN

England 

Big hole cutter slimer maybe if not Very Happy

Post #1686312th Sep 2005 10:10 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It's the big bash plate in front of the one that covers the transmission.

Sump plug can only be reached with the bash plate off. Sump plug uses a rubber "o" ring to seal (i.e. no washer). The oil filter is on top of the engine under the plastic cover.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1765716th Sep 2005 11:07 am
BN

England 

PCH wrote:

Sump plug can only be reached with the bash plate off. Sump plug uses a rubber "o" ring to seal (i.e. no washer). The oil filter is on top of the engine under the plastic cover.

Chris

See the oil filter is on top in Australia to stop the oil dropping out Shocked Wink

Post #1766016th Sep 2005 11:22 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

PCH wrote:

Chris

Chris,

So from the front of the vehicle looking towards the back its the second undershield? If so I might just get away with it. The front two bolts that hold that shield on screw into the nuts which are fixed to the rear of the front shield, they are also now hold on the rear of the sump guard on mine but if I mod it slightly and use studs instead of bolts it should be possible to remove the second shield and leave the sump guard in place.

I'm intending to do an oil and filter change soon so I might just get a fixed price from a dealer to do it this time, not mention the sump guard, then see what they say when I pick it up Wink

Cheers
Si
 The End  
Post #1766516th Sep 2005 12:00 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Slimer,

From the front of the vehicle it is the second undersheild which is the one that covers the crossmember and actually bolts to it.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1801319th Sep 2005 11:04 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Just had the oil changed and did not the remove the sump guard. The LR tech simply removed the back 6 (or was it 8) bolts holding the second undershield on, left the two front ones that are also in use by the sump guard in place and very gently bent the shield downwards enough (about 45 degrees) to fit the funnel on his oil drainer in.
The front of the shield probably won't stand up to repeated bending like this but it should be good for a fair few oil changes yet. When/if it eventually does break if LR are the ones to break it they can replace it, if it's me I'll get a slightly modified bit welded on the front of it so it fits over rather than under the sump guard

Si
 The End  
Post #1804319th Sep 2005 2:19 pm
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Changed my oil & filter yesterday at 7,500 (half way to first service). No big deal to remove the sump guard, just eight (maybe ten) bolts. The guard is very substantial, so I'm surprised that it can be bent for access. The dealer said to always renew the sump plug when changing oil, and the plug and filter together were only about £8. The filter element has a locating 'dowel', so it must go in the correct position.

I hope that helps!

Ray

Post #1811019th Sep 2005 5:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >