Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Before I start replacing the Turbo .. error P0046
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Wsh

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Before I start replacing the Turbo .. error P0046

Our Disco3 TDV6 HSE from 06 is having some serious issues..

It started with a lot of smoke when accelarating.
Then I started getting Engine Systems Failures whenever I accelerated. The error message is P0046.

I found another post dealing with this issue. It stated that if in conjunction with other errors it probably is the Turbo Solenoid .. which is a biggy. If single than it is the airflow meter.

The shop replaced the airflow meter and put injector cleaner in the car. The error seemed to stay away. I can accelerate full power.

Only when I am on the motorway at 60mph or more and I floor it .. the engine picks up .. then feels like it starts to choke and then goes into engine systems failure ..

Engine systems failure is a nuissance as you have nothing left and only can gradually make your way to the incident lane .. where after running idle full power is available again.. (but no cruisecontrol.. you need to restart for that).

The EGR valve and the turbo actuator both have been checked and seem fine.

What can this be or do I really need to replace the turbo? Apparently that is a big job as the car has to be lifted from the chassis to get close?

Post #133154230th Aug 2014 6:33 am
Cellerdweller

England 

I think I would do a few more checks before condemning the turbo . However the body does not need to come off to replace it Thumbs Up have you checked the intercooler hoses they are prone to premature failure .
 You're not afraid of the dark are you ?  
Post #133154730th Aug 2014 7:21 am
Valhalla

Scotland 

It might be worth checking the whole intake system from air cleaner to intake manifold, looking for any splits, tears or bulges that would give a leak of air under pressure. A test with a smoke leak-detector machine might just find the problem, but a test under pressure is the only sure way.

I think you will need some live engine data recorded whilst the problem is occurring. The turbo actuator might be fine in the workshop, but partially seize towards the "boosted" end of travel when the turbo is hot, so making the turbo unable to control its pressure downwards under an acceleration from 60mph.

Did the shop use a genuine airflow meter, or was it a pattern item? If the readings are offset from the true values, then you could be seeing a compressor protection derate during an acceleration.

Post #133179630th Aug 2014 7:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >