Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Changing Base Radio
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stan7b

Changing Base Radio

Greetings, I am new to the community as i just picked up a base LR3 this week. I am looking to upgrade the base radio. I was wondering if anyone has swapped out their base radio for a custom setup. I did a search and i didn't come up with any results. Thanks for your help!

-Stan

Post #1547847th May 2007 1:29 am
kpmclaren

Jamaica 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Stan, you can look at my gallery if you like, swaped out my speakers, and put in a subwoofer..The head unit cannot be removed integrated with the vehicle and as a result it won't start if the head unit is taken out..there was a link somewhere where some one managed to replace the base radio with an after market set up..and he got this done in the US. I would suggest using a digital signal processor (I used the rockford fostgate) to improve the signal from the radio...here is a link to a list of equipment i used http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic8235.html I assume that you are in the US..try www.crutchfield.com they allow you to select your vehicle and select appropriate speakers etc for it...
In the end i went for a 10 inch sub Phase linear Alto..its very narrow, and does not require a lot of depth therefore would not loose a lot of trunk space...Hope this helps

Post #1547907th May 2007 2:57 am
kpmclaren

Not sure if that link is working try this one... http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic8235.ht...d+fostgate

Post #1547917th May 2007 3:01 am
couplands

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Just remove the full-stop from the end of the link...

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic8235.html

cheers

simon

Post #1547987th May 2007 7:11 am
stan7b

Looks like that is the route I will go as well. I wasn't aware that a product like that existed. I also just checked out the gallery and the install looks very very clean!! How does it sound?

-Stan

Post #1548567th May 2007 1:55 pm
kpmclaren

In all honesty..permagrin all around...I'll post picks on the rear door set up..Sound really good, sorry i didn't take the guy who installed it advice and go for two subwoofers, but thats over kill in my view...But you can be very frugal and spend very little, but just go with quality products if you can...spent around 1500 USD on the entire set up (excluding instillation costs)..Could have been as low as 700 usd if I was patient enough and bought every thing in the US...Find a good installer especially one who know about the fostgate...then ask for advice on what to get or do some reading and research..found crutchfield to be good..and th odd postings on car audio sites...

Post #1549337th May 2007 8:42 pm
kpmclaren

Just a few things to add..you can get a three way component speaker set up (low, mid and tweeter) similar to the set up in the hi-ice option. Also you might have problems with laying out the equipment (amplifiers etc..) if you have seven seats, the rear bench (passenger seats) doesn’t lift up like in the 5 seat option..You should still be able to find places to put them (like under the front seat) but if all of the equipment could fit into one place it aids with an easier set up. Also, the sub-woofer location might be a problem if u have seven seats..You will have to ensure that it doesn't affect the rear most seats when they are up..But that’s it..Also the costs might escalate depending on what equipment you choose and your set up..and the instillations costs as well so choose wisely.. I chose this approach because i drive alot and i am fussy about music quality..i passed on the radio upgrade for fear that i would still have to upgrade...but i guess you will have to weight up the costs/benefits for yourself....So thats it...any more questions i'll be glad to answer...
Added the rear door set up as well

Post #1549507th May 2007 9:35 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I really appreciate how well researched and documented this is. You've done a great job, and I hope to personally benefit from it soon. Especially the bass!

Stan, tell us more about your base model LR3. They are quite rare here in the USA. I have one, and I know of two others, so now that's four!

More about mine and what I've done to it (and with it!), here:
www.nextstepdesigns.com

Cheers,

NW

Post #1549858th May 2007 1:56 am
stan7b

kpmclaren

Thanks for the great write up. I also prefer sounds quality versus just being loud so I am going to be looking into higher end components. I have doen a few systems on my previous cars with custom crossovers at a fraction of the cost of what a set from JL or Rainbow cost. But I don't think i will go that route this time....it was too much work. I took a look at the 3SIXTY.2 and i think its great and I feel that it is far superior then the Alpine unit, but that was only from reading reviews and write up on them so i will take that for what its worth.

NW,
Your LR Looks great! I picked up a White on Blk one with only the cold weather package and it was a deal i couldn't pass up so I jumped on it and havn't looked back since. The only mods that I plan on doing is a system. I may consider doing different wheels/tires but that will depend on how much off roading I will do in the woods or in NYC Laughing .......those streets have some potholes that swallow a Honda Fit Shocked

-Stan

Post #1553859th May 2007 2:01 am
stan7b

I was doing some searching and I found this site....which was more of what I was looking for http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showt...=head+unit

I saw this guys setup up and I will be going this route, I just wasn't sure if it was done before. Check these pics out:
http://www.landroverworld.org/pictures/sho...51/cat/500

Post #1556819th May 2007 7:40 pm
kpmclaren

yes thats the one i was talking about earlier...the only problem is that it leaves some problems...i don't know if it was mentioned but be warned...hence y i chose the safer route..was told by the guys at prestige audio, that it may affect the warantee..they tried it with a RRS met into difficults due to it being integral to the vehicle set up..so check on the warantee issue first before you go ahead..there is a post on this site some where explaining the role of the head unit...have a look...

Post #1557789th May 2007 10:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >