Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Vibration and noise at 1500-2500 rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
vibration

I am told, according to the design engineer this is a feature of the computer and differential interacting. Now additionally i'm told virtually all discovery/lr3 have this feature. What can aggravate this condition is larger tires for example. Interesting theory, the feature was completely stealth until about 28500 miles. I'm guessing nothing will actually blow apart until warranty is expired (true 21st century engineering genious) yet another Land Rover modern marvel. Who needs a radio when you can listen to the next growl, and feel the power, hear the rattles, and look at the fluid in the rear view as the plastics come apart at the seams from the glorified 7000 lb $50,000.00 vibrator does the voodoo that it does so well.... ut oh computer fault found with the driver, now where is that cupholder with the wine in it.

po'd

todd

Post #1553769th May 2007 12:36 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Arsi,
Only just seen this thread Embarassed
I assume your dealer has seen TSB LA307-001V2 Auto Transmission Noise in Manual Gear 3 issued 21 June 2006

"A customer may report a concern of an unusual noise from the transmission/drive line when driving with manual gear 3 selected under light throttle applications between 1500-2000rpm. The noise may be described as a 'scraping' or 'dry bearing noise' but is not apparent in 'D' (drive) or other gears.

This bulletin has been re-issued to correct the VIN range.

Cause: Under certain specific conditions, the torque converter causes an undetectable vibration which causes the transfer box drive chain to shake, resulting in the noise.
Action: On a customer concern basis only regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to update the transmission control module software."

There has been a small number of front differential failures, although the pre-failure characteristic has been noise rather than vibration
The front differential has a capacity of 0.61 litres of Castrol SAF-XO - 75W/90 so i'm not sure why they filled it with 2.5 litres, which would be pretty difficult given the position of the filling plug...
The workshop manual contains the following warning:-
CAUTION: Do not fill the differential with lubricant up to the filler plug. The filler plug is only used to fill the differential with lubricant, not to act as a level indicator.

Post #15602110th May 2007 7:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
arsi

Finland 2005 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Yes that TSB has been checked and TCM is up to date. The noise is present now in any low gear and in auto and manual modes. Also the whole gearbox has been changed and it had no effect to the symptoms.

They filled only 0.25l (=2.5dl).

I visited dealer yesterday as they had a chap from local importer service to listen the noise.

He did not hear anything that is leading to immediate failure of the car and tried to make me understood that this is LAND ROVER and noises and vibrations are features of it. Also as my car already has 53000km behind, it should be making noises. He did have anything to add to that when I said that it had done some of the noises from day one.

He had a number of explanations of where it could come from: turbo variable vanes, EGR valves (these has been changed last winter), viscous fan, a loose shield, inlet manifold or just intake sounds. None of them explains the vibrations, but can explain the high pitch noise.

Oh well, I drive on and wait until something breaks. Now at least this has been recorded to the vehicle history and I can use that even after the warranty expires to have it fixed without cost to me under consumer protection policy law.

What is the best way to break a front diff?

Post #15618411th May 2007 5:58 am
joewool

New Zealand 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

I've experienced a vibration/throb/rumble with my TDV6 SE (manual) since new, 26,000 km ago - similar to those already described, except mine seems to be totally speed related. It was originally noticeable between 80 and 90kph but seems to be slowly expanding its range, now 75 to 95-100kph (45+ to 60mph) and in any gear appropriate to those speeds. The frequency is too high to be tyre imbalance so I suspect it is something in the drive train. The vibration occasionally pulses, as if two out-of-balance components are involved, coming in and out of synch. Still to have it properly investigated, but keep that info coming!
 Joe.  
Post #17672611th Jul 2007 12:15 pm
joewool

Joe.
 Joe.  
Post #17672811th Jul 2007 12:20 pm
catweasel

joewool wrote:
Joe.
Laughing oops moment eh and welcome Thumbs Up  
Post #17674311th Jul 2007 1:27 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Joe,
In your case i'd suggest the flywheel is the cause of the harmonic vibration

Post #17689211th Jul 2007 6:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
joewool

You're on to me, Catweasel - and thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for that suggestion, 10forcash, but a different gear (therefore different engine RPM) makes absolutely no difference to the frequency or characteristics of my vibration. An out of balance driveshaft (or two!) seems possible.
 Joe.  
Post #17702212th Jul 2007 12:35 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Morning chaps,

For the last week I've also noticed a vibration through the steering wheel at around 1700-2400rpm.

By what was probably just bad timing, I first noticed it after fitting the Mantec front plate too (I didn't drive it for a few days before fitting it so only noticed it afterwards), but I'm 100% sure it has nothing to do with this (all bolts are tightened up nicely). Tyres and wheel nuts are all ok. It is almost due it's first service, but had an interim oil change around 6000km ago.

Mine is a MY06, auto box and with 22000km on the clock. The vibration can be heard as a slightly harsh noise and can also be felt as a subtle, but metallic (?), vibration through the steering wheel.

It happens in any gear when in D and also in any gear when manually selected. It happens under both full and part throttle. I used the car in Low range yesterday and also noticed it, but it appeared less obvious (although it was off-road so I couldn't really compare it under similar conditions).

The first day that I noticed the fault I also got a 'Transmission Error' message and could not manually select gears (although D and Sport still worked). A quick turn off/on fixed this and it has not returned since. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but I may just be getting used to it.

The vibration/noise is very subtle and my wife cannot detect it....I can though and it's driving me crazy. The D3 definitely has not suffered this problem before now.

I will try and get the car to the dealers as soon as possible, but does this sound like a driveshaft problem or possibly a transfer box/front diff on it's way out?

Cheers,
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #23482017th Dec 2007 10:56 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Hey PaulP, did you ever get the problem sorted, its just that I have now reported the same thing to our LR dealer?

Post #24649417th Jan 2008 1:04 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Never mind...

Post #24650217th Jan 2008 1:30 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

never mind what Question

Post #24650517th Jan 2008 1:39 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

character wrote:
never mind what Question

Never mind Wink

I posted then changed my mind...

Post #24653917th Jan 2008 8:51 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

character wrote:
Hey PaulP, did you ever get the problem sorted, its just that I have now reported the same thing to our LR dealer?

Hiya,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been in the UK for a few weeks for a family funeral and only just got back home to a broadband connection and a bit of sunshine.

With regards to the vibration it seems that I managed to sort it out at the end of December.

In the end I decided that a process of elimination was in order and so removed the Mantec plate completely. This reduced the (already subtle) vibration to around 10% of it's original amount. Shocked

I noticed that the front left-hand fixing bolt on the Mantec plate had actually trapped a small piece of the plastic cover between itself and the chassis, meaning that although it felt well tightened up with no visible movement present, there was a gap of around 4mm between the plate and the chassis with the plastic cover acting as a washer/spacer.

I then removed the offending areas from the plastic cover with a sharp knife and re-fitted the Mantec plate ensuring that everything was well lined-up and snugly tightened up.

The harsh vibration seems to have almost disappeared. I can still feel it very very faintly but it is so faint that it may have been there before and I just simply hadn't noticed it.

It sounds to me like it could have simply been a problem of harmonics with the gap between the chassis and the Mantec causing/exagerating any existing vibrations at this point.

When the D3 goes in for it's first service, I'll ask them to review the diff and driveshafts just to be sure.

Any news on your problem?

Cheers, Thumbs Up
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #24797320th Jan 2008 9:31 am
lew

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Vibration

HI
The vibration which you are experiencing between 1500 and 2500 is a combination of either an ecu which does not have the current software calibration, probably the TCCM, and contaminated oil in the autobox.
The double flush system does cure a considerable amount of problems, but mostly change issues, changing the sump/filter on the box dramaticely improves the vehicle.
The TCCM needs interogating and reflashing, providing that the PCM and TCM are the latest issues.
We have just cured our own vehicle which was almost undrivable prior to this.
Hope this helps
Simon
 There's no I in team and no F in bonus  
Post #26608329th Feb 2008 3:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >