Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Vibration and noise at 1500-2500 rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
arsi

Finland 2005 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Vibration and noise at 1500-2500 rpm

Does anyone have any new info about this? I have browsed through this and other LR/RRS discussion boards and have found several posts regarding it. No cure yet found. Local service does not have any clue what it is.
I have had this from day one. First it was just some almost undetectable whine. Now it has grown into
noticeable vibrations.

Symptoms: vibration and metallic noise during acceleration starting from rpm1500, usually with second gear but
can extend to 3rd as well.

Possible causes that have been ruled out:
Tyres - I have a new set now, no change to the symptoms. Same with winter tyres.
Gearbox - my automatic box has been changed, no change to the symptoms.
Fuel pipes as in some TSB - no not this one either. Also other TSBs have been checked.
Brakes/brakedisks - Checked.
Whining turbo - No, it sounds different and I can recognize it. Also it can not cause the heavy vibration.

All SW updates are downloaded. Latest was done a week ago.

Other possible causes:
Wheel/diff bearings - however, noise is no different when turning than driving straight
Driveshaft imbalance - how to detect this?
Front differential - diff should be dead by now if that is the cause.
Some belt tensioner in engine resonates or have bad bearing.
Some other part is resonating hard.

Any help?

Post #15161624th Apr 2007 11:50 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Heard there was a vibrating bonnet at a certain engine/car speed. It's cured by twisting the rubber stopper under the bonnet to raise the height a little. Might not be the cure, but worth checking (if you haven't already)
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #15162024th Apr 2007 11:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It could possibly be the transfer box either. Maybe the chain or some part of it could be damaged?
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #15162124th Apr 2007 12:03 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Does it sound as thought the noise is at the front or back of the motor?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #15163924th Apr 2007 1:27 pm
arsi

Can not distinguish whether noise comes from front or back of the motor. But it definitely comes from front
and middle of the car. Also vibration is not bonnet vibration as it can be best felt through pedals.

At the service they suggested to tape someone under the car with cable ties to listen where the noise
comes as they were not able to duplicate it when running the car in bench. They were able to hear/feel it
when doing road tests.

Post #15166124th Apr 2007 2:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Does it make the noise under throttle only ...i.e. if you take your foot off the gas does it stop??
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #15166624th Apr 2007 2:18 pm
arsi

Yes, only under throttle. Most noticeable in uphill of when more torque is needed.

Post #15167424th Apr 2007 2:53 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Could be a diff then ...at the very least it sounds drivetrain related. Ask them to check the diffs fluid levels and for leaks.

My rear diff whistled for a good while without the workshop identifying the problem ...it then turned into a nasty grinding sound ...all under throttle. Bye bye Mr Diff and offside prop ...all done under warranty
Post #15167624th Apr 2007 3:02 pm
arsi

Discussed yesterday with service and we went also for a short drive to demonstrate the noise.
Car is now booked in for next Wednesday to check the diffs. They will also check the turbo pressures
to make sure the sound/vibrations is not caused by turbo.

Post #15250727th Apr 2007 7:15 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

i have a vibration at 45 to 50 when slowing down the dealer does not know what this is seams to come from the back but not to sure .
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #15251127th Apr 2007 7:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
arsi

I did some acoustical research trying to find the cause of the noise and vibrations. I took a microphone and laptop with me into the car and recorded various samples placing the microphone into several positions inside the cabin and engine compartment.

First here is the sound that I hear inside cabin:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...ltered.wav

It is filtered to remove background noise.

This is a spectrogram of the noise. You can see the noise as a red spot and trails following it to the right in middle of the picture.
In the picture time goes from left to right and audio frequency from bottom to top.
Click image to enlarge

Next thing was to place microphone next to engine. Here is a sample where mic was placed below of the engine to the left side:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...le%201.wav

Same sample with a little filtering:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...otched.wav

And here is the spectrogram of this sample: (The darkened area of the picture is the sound sample lenght.)
Click image to enlarge

And a little bit of explanations of what is going on:
Click image to enlarge

Now, if you watch the spectrogram and listen the sound sample at the same time you can see that at the beginning of the sample there is a low pitch vibrations. (Not hearable at the sample from the cabin but can be felt.) After a second the high pitch noise can be heard.

Next sound sample and a filtered version of it is taken when going up a steep uphill.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...le%202.wav
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...ltered.wav

The vibrations are very clearly hearable but he high pitch noise is different.

The next one is interesting as it has the mic placed next to turbo. You can hear the turbo whistle.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...ed%201.wav

Spectrogram associated to this shows that the high pitch noise visible in other spectrograms is complex one here
and may suggest that the high pitch noise originates from the turbo.
Click image to enlarge

But then where does come the low pitch vibrations? In the spectrograms they are associated to other low pitch constant frequencies that I believe are from drive train.

I did recordings placing the mic left and right top and bottom of the engine and also next to the mid differential.
Tee high pitch noise was noticeable only from the left and bottom of the engine. The vibrations were there in all recordings but when the mic was on top or front of the engine.

Post #15284028th Apr 2007 4:06 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've noticed similar noise from mine, but not inside cabin whilst driving it, just revving engine gently with bonnet open and stationary (obviously), I thought the high pitched intermittent part of the noise was probably coming from the drive belt at front or its spring loaded tensioner, or may even be the cambelt hidden under all that plastic.Of course there is another fuel pump drive belt buried at the back of the engine too. I wouldn't worry too much about turbo whistle, its usually when it doesn't whistle and the car doesn't perform that indicates a problem. I should still get it checked out though arsi, and good luck. Oh BTW, I have heard of vibration being attributed to the whacking great cooling fan at the front of engine also, get stealer to look into this possibility and most likely cause of other noise I would say is aux drive belt tensioner bearing on its way out, or poss alternator bearing problem.

Post #15290428th Apr 2007 10:48 pm
Echidna

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

After experiencing a throbbing noise for around 18 months and over 15,000 miles I recently had my front diff replaced by a dealer (under warranty). The dealer had a look at it after the first week of ownership but had no idea what was causing it. Over 18 months we must have had at least 10 visits to the dealer before the diff was identified as being at fault.

Since the replacement average MPG has increased significantly and the sound has completely disappeared.

E.
 2005 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue / Alpaca
2005 TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue / Alpaca (Rejected)
2005 VW Golf SE 

Post #15303529th Apr 2007 7:41 pm
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
diff noise

seems I have similar symptoms, although more pronounced accelerating from speeds of 65+ it occurs at all speeds, and also seems to resulting in a lack of power during the pronounced vibration/noise seems like drive train to me.... 28,500 miles

todd

Post #1547927th May 2007 3:14 am
arsi

Update:
Went in the service and only thing they did was to add 2.5dl of oil in front diff.
The sound and vibrations did not went off but the vibrations are now different.

How much of oil does fit in front diff?

Also how much does front diff affect to the steering?
First thing I noticed when left from the service was that the steering is now
lighter when driving.

Post #1550178th May 2007 9:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >