DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Commercial rear window panels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Commercial rear window panels

Hello!

Just wondering if anyone ever removed the blanking panels on the rear windows (the 3rd row windows i mean, not the 2nd row doors)

The tinting on my Irish commercial is bubbling and peeling, and I need to get the panel off to fix it. Does the headliner need to come off? Shocked

Thanks!
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #125784824th Mar 2014 9:53 am
theanswers

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

How did an Irish Commercial end up over with you? Regarding the 'tinting'.

It's not tint you will find that's well applied sloppy black paint thats bubbling with the heat.

Post #126044428th Mar 2014 10:38 am
nighthawk

The Irish commerical was imported Thumbs Up It was in such a good condition compared to the UK models that were available, I could not refuse. Maybe less road salt in Ireland than UK? Thumbs Up

Regarding paint/tint, when I did the rear door windows, after I removed the metal panels I was very surprised to find that one window had flaking solid tint film (practically 0% light transmission) and was very easy to scrape off with heat and plastic scraper, while the other side had black paint and was a total Censored to remove. Maybe the conversion people ran out of paint? Very Happy

I'm suspecting that the rearmost windows are the same. One side film, the other side paint.
You can see the bubbling tint/paint in this pic

Dennis

Post #126044828th Mar 2014 10:50 am
theanswers

It's odd to find two different approaches on the same Land Rover.

I've done it myself before, sharp Stanley blade removed from it's holder done the trick. Oh, you can also plug in the rear windows. The motors have not been removed.

Did you reinstall the rear seats or have your left her commercial?

Post #126046528th Mar 2014 11:55 am
nighthawk

Yes I did plug in the rear windows too. Haven't installed any rear seats (yet) as I usually have dogs in the back not children Mr. Green I did take a grinder to the galvanized false floor and installed a couple of wooden trapdoors to access the acres of space under there Thumbs Up

Did you manage to get the rearmost window panels off? The ones that are bubbling for me (between C and D pillars)? I suspect it's more of a Censored because you can't open the window to push from outside.... and the metal blanking panel goes up above the headlining, apart from having to work while crouched in the back Mr. Green I will be having a better look this weekend to gauge the difficulty.
 Dennis

Post #126046828th Mar 2014 12:01 pm
theanswers

I did manage the job at the time. One must remove the surrounding plastics. It's not hard and shouldn't take too long. Regarding the panel, I'm afraid more than likely its going to bent out of shape whilst being removed. I just forced it out, first with a flat head and then sheer force. Smile

Post #126047128th Mar 2014 12:07 pm
nighthawk

Thanks. No worries about the metal panel. I don't intend to put the it back. Will just remove the bubbling tint and redo it in limousine black and should be good. If the dogs don't like the sun I'll install some removable blinds or something somehow Thumbs Up
 Dennis

Post #126049228th Mar 2014 1:06 pm
nighthawk

OK got the panel off. What a Censored . I managed to do it without messing with the headlining at least. The plastic wheel arch thing had to come off though. In the end brute force worked. Stanley knife on the side closest to the front of the car (the only side with sealer visible). Then after a good 45 minutes trying to figure out how to get the rest off... gave up grabbed the panel with a huge pipe wrench and PULLED outwards and downwards... came off in 2 seconds Thumbs Up

The even bigger Censored was the 3 hours scraping the old tint off the window. And the huge difficulty removing the old paint tint from the screen heating elements means a tint film is probably out of the question as it will trap air around the elements. Might go with painting it again... The bubbling problem only happened because of the panels. Since it is sealed, the air between the glass and the panel becomes incredibly hot. An inferno to be precise. With the panel off it should be much cooler so will last longer.
 Dennis

Post #12625261st Apr 2014 8:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >