Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Compressor run time
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tmagnet

England 
Compressor run time

Hi, had a search and can't find an answer so....
Is the air compressor supposed to run every time the car is started? Mine seems to run for 1 or 2 minutes after being started. Does't seem to make any difference if it's been left for one week or 10 minutes?
Cheers

Post #124241124th Feb 2014 10:27 pm
RobV

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

It is normal as far as I know. I have not timed it exactly but it is about a minute or minute and a half.

Post #124252925th Feb 2014 7:13 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yes it always runs on startup. It starts up because it needs to build up the gallery pressure which was probably purged when the car was turned off.

About the run time, I have not timed it either but it feels like around 30-45 seconds for me. I will try and time it when I have time.

2 minutes sounds like too much and I'm pretty sure that by that time the compressor would have hit it's thermal cutoff and thrown the yellow suspension fault light on the dash, or if not, it's very close.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #124256025th Feb 2014 8:48 am
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I recently had extended running times for quite a while, which eventually became running for several minutes then it stop and the warning light came on and normal height only.

I'd suggest your compressor has a problem and is going to fail soon. Assuming its an older/original non-Hitachi compressors you can replace it, or it may be as simple as a small fracture in the top of the air dryer casing between the two pipes, or leaking O Ring.

First steps - read the error codes if you can. If the codes relate to pressure or similar then remove the cover and liberally apply soapy water over the top of the dryer and all connections to see if there is an obvious leak on the compressor or related parts. If not then it will get a bit more technical. Refurb kits are available.

I was going to refurb mine, but there is a post in here about the crack in the dryer casing. Applied soapy water and it was bubbling nicely. Took it off, epoxyed both sides of the dryer case and refitted, now happy as larry Very Happy May refurb later or just wait until it dies and replace.

As shown on last post here http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic76016.html?...p;start=45

If it is the crack, then you will get an error code talking about low pressure (C1A20 - Pressure rising too slowly) the pump keeps running to try and build the pressure and then gives up when it can't achieve it.

Obviously the longer this goes on the more wear on your compressor. so check for simple repairs first.

NOTE: as per this post the bracket will break easily - managed to metal glue mine back together before reattaching. I don't think it will survive another removal!

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic64585.html?...r+%2Bcrack

HTH Thumbs Up
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #124269525th Feb 2014 1:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >