Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Strange things going on???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
need4speed

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Manual Indus SilverDiscovery 3
Strange things going on???

Having just replaced the front suspension lower wishbones on a Disco 3 (using a serious amount of welly and an oxy torch on the inner bolts) the EPB will not release.

As you know the EPB is nowhere near the front of the vehicle, but seems an odd coincidence.

The scanner says that the signal from the electric parking brake release handle is invalid.
Fitted a new release lever,fault codes will not erase and the signal is still invalid.
I can release the brakes from the scanner so the modulator is ok, but not from the lever.

Any ideas would be much appreciated,or am i just unlucky enough to have rattled loose wiring inside the car after changing the front wishbones??? Confused Confused

Post #102536428th Dec 2012 12:36 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Fairly common issue. You have a wiring issue between the switch and the module Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #102543028th Dec 2012 4:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
need4speed

I feared that the wiring was the issue Big Cry so the wiring fault is usually between the control module (ECU) and the switch, rather than between the modulator and switch?
Any ideas where i can get a wiring diagram to undertake a continuity test?

A huge thanks for your help it is really appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #102549728th Dec 2012 6:28 pm
Disco_Mikey

The ECU is integral with the modulator Thumbs Up

You can pay for access to Land Rover's TOPIX website, which gives you full access to wiring diagrams, Tech. bulletins etc
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #102553428th Dec 2012 7:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I bet its the EPB wire that runs through a connector above the lining of the FNS wheel arch, its the usual culprit.
Click here for wiring diag http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...g_diag.pdf

Post #102554528th Dec 2012 8:14 pm
need4speed

Thanks Mikey i thought that i hadn't seen a separate module for the parking brake ,thought that it may have linked in with the ECU behind the battery. I was guessing that the connections were corroded, i was going to start there.

That makes a lot of sense Matty,the wishbone bolts were seized solid and took a real battering to release them.
The wheel arch may have taken a shaking too.

The schematic diagrams are ace they will really help.

Thanks Guys you are both stars Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #102555428th Dec 2012 8:36 pm
need4speed

Sorry i have another question;

When the EPB was working ,(the car is a manual transmission ) should the brake have auto release when setting off as it never has whilst i have known it ?
Or is it just the automatics that have auto release?

The car is a 2005

Post #102555728th Dec 2012 8:44 pm
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Generally just autos that have the auto release, having said that mines a manual 2005 and I had mine activated, so yes it can be done Thumbs Up

Post #102570029th Dec 2012 9:01 am
Disco_Mikey

Matty 2332 wrote:
I bet its the EPB wire that runs through a connector above the lining of the FNS wheel arch, its the usual culprit.
Click here for wiring diag http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...g_diag.pdf

The wiring for the handbrake switch does not go anywhere near the N/S/F wheelarch. There are a few wires there for the EPB, but not the ones you are interested in.
The switch goes through 2 connectors, one underneath the centre console, it then runs under the carpet behind the front seats, into the N/S sill under the plastics, and towards the rear of the car. It then goes through the floor, and onto the EPB module Thumbs Up

need4speed wrote:
Sorry i have another question;

When the EPB was working ,(the car is a manual transmission ) should the brake have auto release when setting off as it never has whilst i have known it ?
Or is it just the automatics that have auto release?

The car is a 2005

Auto-release was standard on all Auto's, and all manual's after 2007MY. It can be activated or de-activated on any age of car though Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #102570929th Dec 2012 9:47 am
need4speed

Thank you once again guys, armed with all your information i'm off down to the garage to see if i can trace the rascal.
Ill let you know how i go on. Smile

Post #102573529th Dec 2012 10:52 am
need4speed

I can't seem to find any broken wiring but i have found an issue...If the car was lifted without the car suspension being put in jacking mode is it possible that the EPB needs to be manually reprogrammed?
Is there a manual reprogramming procedure as i fear that the car was lifted out of jacking mode? Embarassed Embarassed

Post #10279782nd Jan 2013 11:05 pm
Disco_Mikey

need4speed wrote:
I can't seem to find any broken wiring but i have found an issue...If the car was lifted without the car suspension being put in jacking mode is it possible that the EPB needs to be manually reprogrammed?
Is there a manual reprogramming procedure as i fear that the car was lifted out of jacking mode? Embarassed Embarassed

No, just reset the suspension height using the switch. Flick it up then down again to drop it back to nirmal ride height.

Does not affect the EPB operation at all
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #10279852nd Jan 2013 11:09 pm
need4speed

Thanks Mikey. I haven't finished the continuity test yet as i was really busy today, it was just a point that came to mind.
A trader i spoke to today mentioned that he had an EPB issue not releasing after lifting it incorrectly. He said that he was given a reset procedure to reset its operation......could be a crock of......just checking before i strip the rest of the interior out.

Post #10279942nd Jan 2013 11:19 pm
need4speed

Hi guys just wanted to post a thank-you for your help with this problem and to explain how it finished.

I stripped out the interior on the n/s and traced the wiring loom from the EPB switch to the modulator.
With the wiring diagram in hand ( Cheers Matty Thumbs Up ) i did a continuity test and found no feed through the yellow wire.
Incidentally the yellow wire was really wavy and stood out as not being smoothly routed in the loom.
I disconnected the yellow wire top and bottom and ran a new wire through the harness,cleared the fault codes via the scanner and "hey presto" we were off. EPB back to full working order.

Thanks once again Mikey your help was invaluable, you are a legend !! 8)
Broken wiring on a low mileage vehicle appearing after changing wishbones, i would never have believed it!!

Post #10319819th Jan 2013 9:28 pm
Valhalla

Scotland 

Apologies in advance for resurrecting this old post, but I'm just doing one of these at the moment. Basically has poor continuity on one of the four park-brake harness lines from switch to module. I don't know which one yet, because I still have to do the measures. What I have found (strangely) is that someone has been near the harness at the module before, yet the thing has been clipped back securely, and the previous repair is to (by coincidence) one of the four switch lines very close to the module plug itself (pin B4 if memory serves me correctly). So I don't understand where the damage could have occurred, unless it was done prior to fitting the loom to the car? The previous break was a clean slit to the insulator (not a probe-hole) and someone had optimistically put a small tab of insulation PVC tape around the outside of it (soon after the harness was fitted, as the wire was clean underneath). Needless to say, the copper was disintegrating - but wasn't the cause of the problem the car came in with.

What I am trying to find out is where the EPB harness physically breaks through the N/S body sill, as it seems to trail off somewhere over the N/S chassis rail from the module side, and the internal harness looks like it disappears over the inner N/S/R wheelarch.

Using Mikey's connector locations above, I hope that I can back-probe the harness from here to find how many of the wires are broken, and where... The importance of not piercing the harness insulation/s at all cannot be stated too strongly; I have emptied a gallon of water in total from the N/S sill floor pan, just where the harness sits. A grate bit of Landrover design (I use the pun) as this is where any grit from the floor will also end-up, to chafe the harness through Rolling Eyes I bet there will be a whole raft of EPB issues in those D3's used in flood areas this Spring.

Many thanks to anyone that might have traced this problem before and can help. BTW, this one is an Auto 09MY HSE, "never uses EPB" to park, and has the flashing EPB red lamp and solid amber brake warning - but the brake has never come on of its own accord, so maybe the fault codes for the parkbrake switch are inhibiting operation better than some earlier cars?

Post #124175823rd Feb 2014 7:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >