Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine Management Message
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cundyno1

Engine Management Message

Hi Guys

The EM message has come up on the dash. It was booked in for a service anyway at main dealers. They have checked it over and came back and said i need a new turbo!! Ouch!! My disco is on an 05 and done 142k. It does seem to driver ok though tbh a little bit sluggish but turbo kicks in at around 2/2.5 revs as per normal.
Anyway, they have quoted £2.5k for the job!! Im basically thinking of buying the parts myself and asking my local garage to do it. Would you say this is advisable or is it something that really main dealer has to do. Ive found a new turbo on said auction sight for 1/2 what dealer has quoted!!

Thanks

Post #124195323rd Feb 2014 11:24 pm
Scarab

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I think a dealer quotes about 8hrs + labour for a Turbo Replacement. At Dealer rates round here that would be £1600 gone already excluding parts and Censored up time.

Post #124199024th Feb 2014 12:08 am
anglefire

England 

Quote:
turbo kicks in at around 2/2.5 revs as per normal.

That is not normal.

It should be blowing quite well at 1500rpm and be at pretty much max boost from 2000rpm or so. If you have an IID tool or similar, you can look at the live values as measured by the MAP sensor.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #124202124th Feb 2014 8:17 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I suggest getting the fault codes read before you splash out the cash.

Your symptoms are similar to EGR issues. Worst case if it really is the turbo it probably is the actuator rod which can be worked free (search for the many posts on the issue on here) or replaced.

Would get both these avenues explored before I spend that sort of cash on a turbo. Fault codes can narrow things down significantly.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #124202524th Feb 2014 8:40 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

A faulty air flow meter can give this error as well, get that checked out as well as the actuator linkage before committing to a turbo change.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #124203824th Feb 2014 9:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Valhalla

Scotland 

It would be well worth checking for air-leaks in the induction system after the MAF and all the way through, as these can all give the symtoms you describe (boot-strapping on smoke limitation). Once you have done that, then the MAF meter (as per Flack) is the next way to go (starting to get a bit more expensive.......) before the difficult stuff.
If the turbo actuator is sticking at its top end of travel (the usual mode of failure), that will give a similar symptom, although live data over a scantool will highlight the error in setpoint versus actual position. As suggested before, wiggling the actuator with WD40 to loosen it through the turbine housing can help (followed-up with a dry high temp lube around the cam) but if the sticking is inside, then there are only three routes to go;
a) remove turbo and clean with a solvent
b) use a good quality induction system cleaner designed to clean turbos (there are a few), and use it properly (involves no dismantling of engine, other than MAF meter connection)
c) have a garage replace your turbo, for the same thing to happen in a few years time Rolling Eyes

Definitely don't go to c) until you have done the easy & cheap checks!!! Don't forget that the diagnostic routines for flagging codes is not an exact science on airpaths, so garages that blindly use this to diagnose "turbo failure" are fooling themselves..... Whistle

Post #124207924th Feb 2014 11:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >