Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Tachymeter in KM and miles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Riccardo

Portugal 

When I requested my CoC I had to declare that I had the speedo in mph and DVLA requested confirmation in addition to the CoC as it is not mentioned on it if the speedo is in mph

Thanks for the suggestion!
 It takes all sorts (to make a world).

D3 HSE LHD gone but not forgotten 

Post #12298093rd Feb 2014 1:15 pm
den2013

Austria 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Okay, i know i said its a pain to change over and thinking about it it might not need recalibrating, this might only need doing for older non electric speedos, i do apologise Embarassed Embarassed if you look on ebay you can buy a dial kit for 96 pounds from lockwood, just have a search. It would still need to be stripped down and its one whole sheet speedo, rev counter etc but you will still need to get the needles back on in the right place but this could be a option, or if you can get the whole set of uk clocks to work just buy plugging in then it would be easier, the other advantage of changing the face over is the milage will still be in KLM and if the car goes back to europe then the KLM will be shown on the MOT certificate as proof whilst it was out of the home country.
 2015 D4 HSE LUX Kaikoura Stone(sold)
2010 D4 S Commercial Santorini Black(SWMBO)(sold)
2014 Evoque Dynamic Kaikoura Stone (sold)
2013 Porsche Boxster S (Fun car)
2008 D3 HSE Java Black(sold) 

Post #12298213rd Feb 2014 1:32 pm
lr101fc

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Speedo in KM or MPH

Our D3 is left hand drive and was registered by LR in the UK in 2005 when new.
The speed display is only in KMH, no MPH/KMH dual markings.
It had passed 3 MOTs Ok before we exported it to France
I did get a COC from LR to register here in France, that stated KMH only, so hopefully this will help ?
 MY05 Discovery 3 G4 LRG4C-14 Stage 3 & 4 Bolivia Team Fleet 49
05HF95 Trailer 3/4 Ton 2 WHD
31FK70 Truck, Utility, 1/2 Ton, 4x4, LHD, Rover Series 1
69ER52 Truck, GS, 1/4 Ton, 4x4 Rover 8
75FL40 Truck, GS, 24v w/winch 1T 4x4 LHD Launcher Towing Rapier Rover 

Post #12299243rd Feb 2014 3:54 pm
Riccardo

Portugal 

Little update which might be useful for other people (and thanks again for the responses)
Will give info on my case which is simlar to what my friend will have to endure probably (and for the speedo I have decided to do the same change on my car and sold the instrument cluster I bought for replacement)

It seems the process with the DVLA might vary a lot based on who will review the documents (and it is much easier if you car is more than 10 years old)

Despite a passed MOT, a CoC from Land Rover they have requested a Mutual Recognition Certificate (just to pay 100 ukp more to them and also to pay some VAT registered garage to issue the documents) and you need to have a garage declaring that (for the Discovery 3) the speedo is also in mph, the headlight have a switch to permanently change from LHD to RHD and you have two rear foog lights

With the speedo now ok I need to have a garage to declare what it is obvious (the car has the headlight switch and 2 rear fog lights) and it seems to be difficult (instruction manual, pictures, MOT are not sufficient document for VCA to issue an MRC).
Hopefully a Land Rover Dealer will be able to say that. Just crazy that the Land Rover CoC does not have those information

den2013 thanks for the link, they did everything very quickly (they can also come to your place) and for a very good price
 It takes all sorts (to make a world).

D3 HSE LHD gone but not forgotten 

Post #12336509th Feb 2014 11:58 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Miles Better...?

Erea wrote:
.....I'm in Ireland and my '06 Discovery shows only KMPH and the Odometer reads Km the Trip under that reads Km...

I'm glad Erea wrote Odometeri.e. the analogue dial that shows speed (distance in a time) & not tachymeter (a dial on a watch) that Riccardo 1st titled the thread with.
Not to be confused with Tachometer or the rev counter the dial that shows the rev/min rotational rate of the engine.
We are talking speedos (analogue gauge[i] not the swimwear)[/i] showing the correct units for the country we are driving in mainly....
I just wonder if...you have & drive a vehicle with mph & no kph marked or displayed somewhere is driven & you have an accident & an excess of speed is deemed to be the cause that you could come "unstuck" ?...after all its the glance at the speedo & of course knowing what speed you are at & considering its legal & safe that is done many times per drive

I wouldn't have thought it economic to change a kph speedo to mph if it meant swapping out the whole instrument head unit....but these days with most gauges being electronic it must be some gizmo in a black box that does the business even then it wouldn't swap the inscription of mph or kph on the actual gauge different. My D3 has a dual marked speedo & guess that D3's for Europe had only kph dials.
I just wonder how difficult it would be to remove the actual head unit & mark up the numbers ?

I'm possibly shipping my old works vehicle to New Zealand (its a VW Golf with MPH on the analogue display & a very small kph in the centre digital display)....by what I have been told & read I dont have to swap the speedo from mph to kph....could be awkward as the national speed limit is 100 kph & its very easy to gets points there the NZ Police are on the ball & look for speeding vehicles everywhere they can (big source of revenue) excesses of speed with younger drivers is seen as the major cause of the horrible accidents that have there.

NZ gets lots of rhd imports from Japan that have kph instruments & the amount of UK origin rhd imports have (dependant on make & model) with mph are as common.

I also wonder just how many accidents are caused by solely kph instrument vehicles driven in the UK or solely mph instrument vehicles driven in a kilometre signposted area & the driver "getting it wrong"...?

Back to D3's ...the D2 had the ability to swap the trip odometer (miles / kilometres totaliser) from miles to kilometres simply by pressing one button ....simple technology well done. Daft it isn't on a D3 with all the other features & complexity.
Surely all vehicles should have a speedo that has both sets of units ?...until its deemed that Km's are the unit we ought to be using (said this before on here & got shot down, shot up & ostracised & maybe will again) even though we now currently use millimetres, kilograms & litres daily..inches, Lbs, & pints long gone....why the heck do we still have miles ? (here starteth a discussion thread that will be painful)
I realise we still have & use Furlongs, Hands, Barrels, etc but you know what I mean about miles...kilometers are miles better
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #12336909th Feb 2014 12:55 pm
den2013

BLFarrar, i think its more what you are used too more than anything, in relation to my age i would say that 95% of my driving was in the UK so i am used to MPH and not KPH, even thought i live in Austria i always put my cars display where i can to the UK version, so in the D3 i have it in MPG and not in L/100K. I understand the principle of it though, the lower the KLM/100k the better, simple really but when i glance down at the display i still have to think and work it out, and to be honest it just seems wrong to me, but in MPG i just glance at it and it makes sense, no mental working it out, maybe i should just get used to it living here but at the end of the day i am british and if it feels right to me then why change.
Also with KLM i hate looking at my display seeing 121.000klm, it just seems so high but in Miles its 75,000 which seems so much better, the only good thing i find is the motorway speed limit which is 130KPH, now i know its only in my head but thats a number i don't mind seeing over here. Thumbs Up

Post #12337439th Feb 2014 3:15 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
den2013

get your point as to what units you (in your head) are calibrated in...
waaaaay back in the 70's when the move to the MKS was started (metre/kilogram/second system that all metric measures are derived from) I had to make the change ...as an engineer the change happened - the industry swapped from inches & feet to metres & divisions of metres.

You had to change your thinking.....a thickness of 10 thou (0.010") was 0.25mm approx...I knew that to file 10 thou or hand scrape 1 thou was a specific amount of work. I rarely have to think backwards & consider anything in imperial.

actually I do the opposite to you..when I have to drive in continental Europe I swap my car units over..it then makes sense with road signs & marked distances...also speeds.

Importantly - for the kids in school & the older kids who do anything mathematical or physics based the metric units make total sense as they are all linked...if you cast your mind back to ft/lbs, horsepower times you ender how we coped..I did all my final engineering exams with both sets being used - it was thought the ability to work in & convert between both was a skill that had to be there
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #12337599th Feb 2014 3:49 pm
den2013

I was not born with the old scale system but with meters, but the strange thing is i still prefer
feet and inches which is weird, maybe its because its in my head and i can see a foot(looking down) but i can't see a meter in my head, i suppose its becouse i have never really had to use it job wise and it just gets lost in a way over time, and also maths is not really my strong point.
I agree that it makes sense to swap over, maybe with the average distance etc but i still find MPG much better to look at and more simpler in you head even over here.

Post #12338409th Feb 2014 6:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >