Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

ZF Auto Gearbox Failure Disco 3 2008
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MELISCAT

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
ZF Auto Gearbox Failure Disco 3 2008

Big Cry Has anyone else experienced a failure of the ZF auto gearbox on their D3? Big Cry
My car has just had the front output shaft seal on the transfer box and rear prop shaft replaced after developing a leak due to a blocked breather. On removing the transfer box it was discovered that the rear prop shaft centre bearing and the UJ at the rear diff was nearly solid.
Repair was not a problem, but about 60-70 miles later the car developed a transmission fault - limited gears available, followed by "F" on the display and the parking brake light coming on and the car lurching and making a loud banging noise from the transmission line. The car eventually went into limp home mode. I was able to get it back to the garage, were they looked at the error codes using Autologic to discover that the gear box oil temperature had reached 151 degrees Centigrade - max should be about 100 C and also 2 transmission fault codes recorded - can't remember the values. There was also a strong smell of oil - not surprising considering the temp of the gear box oil. On clearing the fault codes and restarting the engine the gearbox dropped to normal operating temperatures. A short drive resulted in the car driving normally for half a mile with the fault then recurring. On returning to the garage we dropped the gear box oil which was very black and smelt burnt.
My D3 is currently waiting to go to Bristol Transmissions to investigate the problem. I am not sure what the problem is.
The D3 has only done 59,000 miles and had the Auto gear box oil and filter was changed at 45,000.

I do know that my D3's chassis number sits right in the middle of the range for 2008 - 2009 D3's that have experienced failure of the stator bush in the torque convertor, which results in a replacement gear box, but I am not sure if this is the problem.

If any one else has experienced a similar situation could you please post your thoughts.
 Mike  
Post #113198216th Jul 2013 12:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dcwilliams29id

United States 

I wonder if your transfer case is also overfilled. I know sometimes that the rear output shaft seal can blow, and that the fluid will leak into the transfer case, but I am not sure if it would be enough fluid loss to cause a transmission failure. Maybe someone else knows for sure? A friends LR3 had this happen and we caught it when changing the fluids and as soon as we opened his transfer case fill bolt, fluid came pouring out, probably a liter or so. Turned out to be that seal had gone and he had the transfer case dropped to replace the seal.

Post #113198716th Jul 2013 3:06 am
MELISCAT

Hi, thanks for the reply. The transfer case was not overfilled, it has just been refitted with all new seals.
 Mike  
Post #113204816th Jul 2013 9:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
H16UUP

United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear about what's happened to your car Crying or Very sad

Does anyone know if it's possible to check the transfer case breather pipe or replace the breather filter? Shocked

Post #113207616th Jul 2013 10:55 am
MELISCAT

Transfer box breather pipe

Hi, both the transfer box and gear box breather pipes come up at the back of the engine as you look to the left from the front of the car. They are both housed in metal shrouds. You can just about get a flexible pipe onto the end of them to check if the breathers are clear. I wanted both breather pipes to be extended and run up my raised air intake but there is not enough room to extend them and it is virtually impossible to renew them from the transfer or gear box fittings for the same reason. Another example of Landrover's design engineers getting it wrong. While you are checking the breathers also check the front diff one, mine was blocked . It is at the right hand side of the engine bay at the front by the radiator. Landrover have a modification for this breather pipe as it is prone to getting blocked.

Hoping to find out tomorrow what the state of play is with the gear box and hopefully what caused it to fail.

Mike
 Mike  
Post #113244316th Jul 2013 9:22 pm
H16UUP

United Kingdom 

Cheers Mike, done the diff mod Thumbs Up

Useful to know about the other pipes. I'll check those out.

Post #113244716th Jul 2013 9:25 pm
Glenn Sharp

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi guys,
After spending 3K on a 100K service I lost my 2008 D3 last month to a fire. (I've since bought a D4 because I just love the cars) Was climbing hills aggressively at the time in hot weather with a caravan behind weighing 2500kg. One of the guys who pulled up to help put out the fire was a diesel mechanic. I enquired if the chip I had just installed had anything to do with the fire. 'Definitely not' he said. I told him about the service...'definitely yes' he said. Transmission fluid replaement and filter was part of the service. He suggest it was possible something was not put back on properly. Transmission fluid was released onto the exhaust pipe just below the battery, subsequently catching fire. Arriving back home one month later and after the car was written off (in my new D4) I paid a visit to my LR mechanic. More to keep him informed, not to pass blame, since I had no proof.... He said, sorry for the loss. After me giving him a detailed story on what happened, he agreed it was transmission fluid. He then told me that this is a problem with the engine design and he has heard of it before. He told me that it's something Land Rover are keeping quiet. Apparently, the front transmission case seal can blow under extreeme conditions...apparently....however, it would explain the very loud bang that happened when I pulled the vehicle to a stop after the evidence of thick White smoke....followed by an intense fire. Now...has anyone heard of anything like this? I can't see much evidence on the net.

Post #122630729th Jan 2014 9:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >