Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Anyone had a dead battery and needed to jump start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
FlOwner

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
Anyone had a dead battery and needed to jump start

According to the manual you need to remove the battery from the car to recharge or you may damage the electrical system (P273 as side note)

In any case I read that after I charged the battery. When I started the vehicle -- Engine Fault warning came on would not let me drive more than 10mph. But, I tried to start again-- engine fault. I reset the clock and drove around the block and all is fine now. I've been driving the vehicle all day and no more problems.

Question how do you jump start the vehicle?

Post #1468727th Aug 2005 1:46 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Strange... According to page 302 of the manual you can use a donor vehicle to start a DISCO3 with a dead battery...

"STARTING AN ENGINE WITH A DISCHARGED BATTERY Using Booster Cables.

Using booster cables (jump leads) from a donor battery, or a battery fitted to a donor
vehicle, is the only approved method of starting a vehicle with a discharged battery.
Caution: DO NOT push or tow start".

Is the US LR3 manual different to this ?

-s

Post #1469127th Aug 2005 9:00 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

NAS manual has jump-start procedure on page 306 Wink

Post #1471627th Aug 2005 2:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
FlOwner

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
I used a battery charger pluged into an electrical outlet

I found the procedure on how to jump start on page 308 of NA manual. This is not in the battery section page 271.

I guess with all electronics still running when the vehicle is off you have to be careful with a battery charger. My first instinct was to disconnect all the cables before charging , but fear of the dealer thinking messed which a electircal cable and caused a fault overruled my common sense. Anyway every thing is running fine.

Post #1473527th Aug 2005 3:11 pm
rich

New Zealand 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
flat battery

Had a flat battery at the weekend.... I left keys in ignition in my secure garage.... big deal.... keys were not switched on... but maybe something ran it flat... My dealers said that keys left in ignition signal to the car that the system should wake up and be alive... hence flat battery. But I have done it (on purpose), since with no flat battery.

I just charged my battery with charger after disconnecting positive. All good.
 Near enough 40 degrees South!!!  
Post #1491029th Aug 2005 8:04 am
BN

England 
Re: flat battery

rich wrote:
Had a flat battery at the weekend.... I left keys in ignition in my secure garage.... big deal.... keys were not switched on... but maybe something ran it flat... My dealers said that keys left in ignition signal to the car that the system should wake up and be alive... hence flat battery. But I have done it (on purpose), since with no flat battery.

With the key in the car does not go to sleep, so many things are still active. I think winger can explain what is.

Post #1495729th Aug 2005 10:42 am
10forcash

Re: flat battery

BN wrote:
rich wrote:

With the key in the car does not go to sleep, so many things are still active. I think winger can explain what is.

Maybe the pre-heater kicked in...... Shocked

Post #1496529th Aug 2005 11:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

or not enough hamsters in the US ?...

A little story from The Register this morning.

"We've often wondered for what purpose exactly hamsters were put upon this earth, and now we know: to charge mobile phones.

Sixteen-year-old Peter Ash, of Somerset, finally cracked this age-old poser after his long-suffering sister complained of pet hamster Elvis scuttling away for hours during his nocturnal exercise wheel regime.

Ash told Ananova: "I thought the wheel could be made to do something useful so I connected a system of gears and a turbine." He then patched the output to his mobe's charger and voila! - free hamster energy at around thirty minutes' talktime for every two hamster wheel minutes.

Surprisingly - and considering all the current moaning about falling exam standards, etc, etc - Ash only got a "C" for this contribution to his GSCE science course and, undoubtedly, a clean-energy future for all our children. Perhaps if he'd knocked together a desktop cold fusion reactor powered by supercharged, neutron-emitting guinea pigs suspended in deuterium gas he might have earned himslef an A".

Post #1497629th Aug 2005 11:58 am
10forcash

Simon, you obviously failed geography...
rich
Unless Bush has annexed New Zealand over the weekend, I don't remember it being the 51st state..... Wink

Post #1497929th Aug 2005 12:01 pm
simon

I think not 10 !

First post with the issue was in Florida thus the ref to the US !

rich has not had a problem - he managed to get his to re-charge OK.

So there !

-s

Post #1499329th Aug 2005 12:23 pm
10forcash

simon wrote:
I think not 10 !

First post with the issue was in Florida thus the ref to the US !

rich has not had a problem - he managed to get his to re-charge OK.

So there !

-s

Oooooohhh who's mr. Tetchy today Laughing Laughing

Post #1499429th Aug 2005 12:25 pm
10forcash

The biggest problem with charging Batteries 'on vehicle' is the quality of voltage regulation of the charger, any standard battery charger with a max output of 8 Amps or less will not damage vehicle systems, the larger 'booster' sets can have voltages of 18V or higher. Jump starting a vehicle can also cause problems upon disconnection of the leads from the donor vehicle, alternator voltage regulators do net react quick enough to large changes in demand to maintain the 14.4V supply, the best way to prevent possible damage is to start the vehicle with the flat battery, then switch on high loads (lights, heated screens, heater fan - but not inductive loads) prior to removing the jump leads, then switching off the loads. typically, a Diesel engine battery will require up to an hour of alternator charging to recover to 80%. as a guide, it takes approximately seven miles of driving to replace the charge taken from the battery by starting the vehicle.
i have seen *lots* of problems associated with removing / disconnecting vehicle batteries for charging, provided you only use a low - output charger, no problems should be caused by charging whilst the battery is still connected. The advice / procedure in most vehicle manuals is there to cover situations where high output chargers may be used - which, by the way, can also cause damage to vehicle batteries

Post #1499529th Aug 2005 12:38 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

When I flattened my battery playing around with the pre-cool function, I jump started with no problems.

This weekend, we have been at the chalet in Abersoch with the in-laws, and my father in laws Jaguar had a flat battery, we used the Disco to jump start it, again no problems encountered.

Post #1513230th Aug 2005 6:48 am
BN

England 

Gareth wrote:
When I flattened my battery playing around with the pre-cool function, I jump started with no problems.

This weekend, we have been at the chalet in Abersoch with the in-laws, and my father in laws Jaguar had a flat battery, we used the Disco to jump start it, again no problems encountered.

10's theory is correct and no doubt his practical experience, but many people do things and get away with it, like jump starting and even bump starting vehicles. It appears to be the luck of the draw whether you win or lose.

Post #1513330th Aug 2005 7:30 am
rich

New Zealand 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
reply for 10

Way back up the list... we dont have preheaters down here... I dont know if it is because we are backward or it is too hot... ha.. but thanks for the suggestion. Cheers from NZ
 Near enough 40 degrees South!!!  
Post #1514830th Aug 2005 9:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >