Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

D4 loss of keyless ignition mystery.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
D4 loss of keyless ignition mystery.

I've been out and about in the D4 this morning. Did several locks and unlocks, everything as normal.
Returned home to have breakfast, went to go and collect some firewood and it wouldn't start.
Locks and unlocks and the interior lights, sat nav and audio all come on. So battery (AGM) is ok. When I press the start button nothing happened. The screen stayed as it was with the picture of the D4 on it. No messages or anything.
So I thought I'd try the spare key. Checked that it opened and closed the vehicle, which it did, but again nothing when I press the start/stop button.
Had a look through the manual, but couldn't see anything relevant other than a mention of radio wave interference.
Anyway, just been out and tried it again and everything is back to normal and starts perfectly.
Any ideas? Could there have been some interference over the airwaves?
I've got a vague memory of something similar happening about 12 years ago when the key fob operated alarm/central locking wouldn't work for a short time on a car that had a Clifford alarm system on it.

Post #121566711th Jan 2014 12:17 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

try putting the keys up against the bottom of the steering column for a few seconds.

that works when it says "key cant be found", it may do some sort of reset. only had to do it myself twice in 4 years so not totally sure of the reasons.

stupid questions, you do have it in "P"ark don't you, and not drive etc ???

the pop up selector should return to P when you last switched off the engine though
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #121568111th Jan 2014 12:27 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Tried all those things Dunc Thumbs Up No screen messages at all.
My thoughts are that there was some radio interference going on.
See if it happens again, I suppose.
I did think about doing a hard reset, which used to work for lots of things on the D3, but it's working fine now Neutral

Post #121570311th Jan 2014 1:50 pm
alastaid

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Mine did this for first the time recently, however I had been faffing about trying to get the remote heater thingy working while inside the car. Basically, everything seemed to work except pressing the start button and starting the engine! After trying loads of things, including putting the key under the steering wheel, i got out, locked it, waited the 4 minutes or so until it went to sleep, re-opened it, and hey presto, started straight away, and off we went. Put it down to LR ownership Smile.

Cheers

Alastair

Post #121591611th Jan 2014 10:00 pm
tomtom86

Lt, can you hear anything when pressing starter button? Fitted a new starter to a 2010 sport about 6 months ago for very similar symptoms, a faint click could be heard from the solenoid as you pressed starter button though Thumbs Up

Post #121592911th Jan 2014 10:16 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

There have been issues with the brake pedal switch and it not operating a it should which results in the car thinking you do not have your foot on the pedal.
The other thing that might b worth trying is the gear lever, move it out of and back into neutral/park if you can.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #121594511th Jan 2014 10:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

Thanks for the replies Thumbs Up

Mmm, the infamous brake pedal did cross my mind. Might be worth changing for a new one.

Couldn't move the gear selector as it was locked firmly in Park.

No noise at all when I pushed the button.

It recognised the key for locking and unlocking, so the first stage of activation i.e audio/sat nav. interior lights etc. were all working.

It appeared to not recognise the key at all when I pressed the start/stop button though.

Let it sleep for about 10 mins and all was well again.

After a virtually faultless one year and 4 days of ownership, I was reminded of the joys of being a LR owner. Just like the old days of early D3 ownership Smile

Post #121597111th Jan 2014 11:30 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

May or may not be relevant, there was an clip on the news about a radio transmitter being used by thieves, the device emits radio waves to block car remotes and stop them working, the car is then left unlocked although the driver thinks he has locked it Shocked
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #121621912th Jan 2014 5:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >