Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Dilema......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Dilema......

I purchased my D3 in April 2009, it is a August 04 reg (one of the original press launch fleet), had 55k miles on it, at the bottom of the market, a good price.

It will be 10 year old this August, has 134k miles.

In owning it yes we had a few issues, as other have, but no worse than other cars i have owned. Given that its my family car, and i have caravan, i have never avoided fixing any thing, and have a warranty on it, in fact still have.

In short we love the car., i know its history, the potential reliability issues... now the dilemma.

Do we keep it ?

We test drove a new D4 yesterday, it was gorgeous, but it wasn't exciting... it was the same as we have, just a bit tighter, smoother..... but its £60k.....

Now the new Range rover excites me.... but it isn't a 5 seater !!! (3 kids you see)

Options...
1. Keep the car for 2 more years until the D5 is out, accepting that there will probably be some reliability niggles, but compared with £ for a new D4 cheaper.
2. Buy a new D4, keep for 8 years.... but sinking a lot of £££
3. Buy an alternative.... but is there one ? With 3 kids, need 3 proper seats in the rear. The RR,RRS, Merc GL & ML all have crappy rear seats, only leaving big MPV's, or possibly a Q7.
4. buy an older D4... am i then in the mercy of a new reliability situation.

Its not just the ££ but clearly it is an issue......

Opinions please.
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #121611612th Jan 2014 1:30 pm
hgrimmett

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

These decisions are often emotional rather than rational. For me, better the devil you know... we have a '56 D3 @130k but while our 3 kids are young and keep trashing the interior we won't upgrade it.
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
D4 '15 (64) Se Tech Indus Silver
Tesla Model Y LR (22)
Audi TT Roadster 225 (52)
Tesla Model 3 LR (70) (gone)
Porsche Boxster '96 2.5 5spd project (P)
Mini R52 S (54)
BMW 330e eDrive MSport '16 (gone)
D3 '07 (56) XS TDV6 Buckingham Blue (gone) 

Post #121613012th Jan 2014 2:07 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Follow your heart.
If the D4 doesn't excite you, why fork out so many pounds and wait two years before you regret it... or not?

I'm in a comparable situation, my D3 will be 10 years old this coming August as well... what do you do... but the depreciation on a D4 in the coming 2-3 years is always bigger than depreciation plus expenses on the existing D3.

But then again, something is itching otherwise you would not bring the subject up.

This probably doesn't help Laughing

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #121615012th Jan 2014 2:46 pm
DALEK

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

I have had the same dilemma so my plan is to wait for a D5!! I know at best it will be next year but I will place an order as soon as they become available. Only difference is my D3 is 2 years younger than yours so I will have a couple of years to play with.

I had an Audi Q7 for the time my D3 was having some bodywork done and my opinion is if you want a big car its fine but if you want fun and a grin a cheshire cat would envy, stay with a discovery and do not get a Q7! They are just a big car! This is only my humble opinion and I am sure many people have them and love them but not for me.
 D3 HSE ........................Gone!!!  
Post #121615312th Jan 2014 2:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wormus

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Exactly the same situation here - 54 plate with 130k miles. I've spent so much on it to get it to the point where it works I see little point selling the thing. It's now working better than ever and with a valet comes up like a new car. The D4 is essentially the same thing with a different dash and lights, if you really want to change wait for the D5 otherwise I say keep it and enjoy it. £60k is a lot of money.

Post #121622312th Jan 2014 5:21 pm
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

great replies guys thanks...

wormus.. sounds spot on, the same as us....
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #121624112th Jan 2014 6:09 pm
maddogsetc

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Seems there are lots of us in this boat Very Happy

Have owned my 06 D3 from almost new to 112k miles so far. I have to admit hankering after a new MY14, but I'm just not sure I can justify stumping up £50k plus for the privilege of driving a newer version of the same thing.

Have thought about other 4x4 and also about something completely different but how many other cars are there out there that will do everything the D3/4 does? And those that do, well if they were significantly cheaper I might consider it, but pound for pound nothing else really matches up.

So it looks like another tick for the 'waiting for D5' box, although with LR's history of price hikes with recent new model launches I'm not sure I'll be able to afford / justify it when it eventually does arrive Big Cry

Post #121624412th Jan 2014 6:13 pm
Mark Hope

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I am not in the same situation as you but if you have had the car that long I would keep hold of it. I don't now what you have done to your car but if you want it tight do what I think was disco mike and replace all your bushes for new or upgrade to rrs ones this will tighten up your ride and make it fell like new.

this is just my opinion I have ordered the new d4 and I don't think ill change her after picking her up Rolling Eyes
 I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they're like 'Hey, what are you doing here?' I tell them 'You know.. hunting elephants.' -  
Post #121624512th Jan 2014 6:20 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Cheapest D4 is £40k tad under for GS so not to bad plus possible extra's bettter option? Ask for some discount as well...

Post #121625812th Jan 2014 6:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >