Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

boo! d3 advice required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Iguana

Ukraine 

Manual for me as well Thumbs Up

Check for any wear on inside of tyres, may indicate suspension/wheel bearing issues

Vibrations as well.......I missed these and am now paying for them!!!!

But LOVE the car Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #12144629th Jan 2014 9:42 am
abigail

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

I've just bought a 55 HSE with 76k miles for 13.5k it's an auto box.
It's been incredibly well looked after but I was convinced I wanted a manual until I drove this.
You can switch it into a sort of manual anyway, to select gears yourself, but it will still change down to stop you stalling and it'll change up to prevent over revving
it is VERY VERY nice to drive.

I can get 2-3mpg more when i'm using the manual selection than I do with it on automatic. The way I drive would change into higher gears earlier than the auto box likes to but then I'm one of the few women on here and probably drive a bit more conservatively than most. I suspect you could get that remapped for economy if you were so inclined.

in sport mode/manual/whatever you want to call it, it is VERY fast! Faster than I could drive a manual version I think, and I have a racing licence in my triumph (total contradiction to my last paragraph re economy!), so I know how to drive. This Disco is FAST!

I drove a few, a looked at an S with 100k on it for £9k but it didn't feel anything like as smooth as the one I bought. I also looked at an XS with 88k on it, again I think it had had a harder life. When the HSE came up in the main dealer up the road with the auto box I was all over it!

The advice here is right, check EVERYTHING works but above all remember...you're buying a car...if you like it, if you want it, if it says buy me....then just get it, you'll love it! follow your gut...
 hoc labor, hic opus.

Triumph GT6, 1970. Triple carb and gas flowed up to the eyeballs.
Landrover Discovery HSE
MKIV golf tdi. 

Post #12145019th Jan 2014 11:14 am
A.J.M

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Having driven both. I have the auto, personally the manual is horrible. ( That may annoy some people... )
It doesn't suit the car at all.

An auto is stop start traffic and slow speed driving is a joy, no clutch to worry about.
Drive both and see what you enjoy.

Even with a kitcar in the garage, i love my auto, plus it does have a manual change which lets you do full throttle upshifts! You don't lift your right foot, just nudge the lever for the next gear. Mr. Green

As said, drive it, listen for knocks, bangs etc, check the paperwork, look for bills of work done with records of a full service history. There are loads of D3's out there. No need to buy a poorly maintained shed when you can pick up a car with full history elsewhere.

You may need to travel to get a good one, i did a 400 mile round trip for mine. Mine has only let me down once in 19k driving and that was down to the starter solenoid sticking.

There is plenty of knowledge on here to look after it, advice to fix any issues and plenty of ideas to make it your own, with sponsers to help keep cost's down for buying parts and servicing items.
 In loving memory of FA54WSK.

Rest well old friend, your work is done. 

Post #12145169th Jan 2014 11:55 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The first D3 I tested was a manual. I was coming from manual cars and thought that I'd want a manual D3. I was WRONG. After driving the auto there was no question that it was much better suited to the vehicle.

Post #12145249th Jan 2014 12:16 pm
showtime247

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies very informative, I think this weekend I am going to head to a few dealers and test drive both and see how they feel.

Post #12148879th Jan 2014 10:27 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Love my manual my mrs even more even has a hissyfit if i bring home a auto,down side is in traffic queue but get to use low range weird driving in 6th at 15mph...But she has no choice if or when i upgrade end of day you take your choice both are fine. Thumbs Up

Post #121531510th Jan 2014 7:53 pm
sjmw

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

No one's mentioned it yet, but depending on your likely annual mileage, a V8 is an option worth looking at - so much smoother than the early oil burners and, in auto guise (which most are) a very smooth and quiet experience with effortless power (and better value and cheaper to maintain than the diesels). If you can find one, have a drive at least as a comparison (and no, I'm not selling!)

Post #121532610th Jan 2014 8:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >