Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Do we like the DISCOVERY bonnet lettering on MY14 discos?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Do we like the DISCOVERY bonnet lettering on MY14 discos?
Yes
32%
 32%  [52]
Mixed emotions
16%
 16%  [26]
No
51%
 51%  [84]
Total Votes: 162

110CSW

United Kingdom 

Yes from me and ordered one too.

I understand the concern from some but it will be quite familiar in a while and it is clearly part of a plan. I'm more interested in how the FL3 will be called Discovery but the two vehicles will need a differentiator extra word as well.

Post #12139438th Jan 2014 10:45 am
rodneydisco3

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I am rather pleased with the change of policy, Land Rover is an iconic brand known throughout the world, which is why it is so successful.
Having Land rover across the bonnet of some vehicles rather reduces the progress of new models, the idea of the company Land Rover having a number of sub brands leads to many further options of alternative vehicles.

I understand following the Freelander becoming a baby Discovery there is a Discovery Sport to be announced.

I expect Defender will follow as a sub brand with a number of rugged vehicle types, there has already been the view of DC100.

It is exciting times to be around any Land rover vehicle, any company managing to sell so much has more money for even more creative vehicles.

I am not sure LR will ever reach the Audi plan to have 60 different vehicles available but i am sure we will see the range grow substantially over the next few years,

Discovery is fabulous to be a brand. Long may it live.
 Rodey L

2018 Discovery 5 3L HSE Idris silver and black
14MY liore Blue/Almond HSE (now with new custodian)
Discovery 3 09MY Gaulway Green/Almond (now with new custodian)
1933 MG J2
1934 MG PA
1935 MG PB 

Post #12139478th Jan 2014 11:00 am
DALEK

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

My feelings are that it is such an iconic vehicle that it does not hide in a crowd so what it says on the front really is not an issue. It cannot be mistaken as anything other than a Land Rover and a Discovery, I can see the sense in the branding so I suppose its a Thumbs Up from me!

Note to self!! This comes from a man who has spent a fortune making his trusty loved old D3 look D4ish, I still have 3 on the back and Land Rover on the front...........for now!!!!! That is the problem of having a colour that is unique to a D3. I have just read this and realised I need to do 2 things..... 1, get a life....2 Get a D4 Embarassed
 D3 HSE ........................Gone!!!  
Post #12139618th Jan 2014 11:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
markbrads

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Will we see R A N G E appearing on the Range Rover bonnets then Whistle

I've decided I like it actually and as the previous numpty owner of my Disco 3 has replaced the letters on the bonnet in the wrong place I may replace them with these Wink

Where can we get the letters from (not to expensive) for either ???

Post #12141948th Jan 2014 7:40 pm
MHP

England 

DALEK wrote:
I have just read this and realised I need to do 2 things..... 1, get a life....2 Get a D4 Embarassed

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter I am sure you aren't the only one Whistle Thumbs Up
 2009 Discovery 3 HSE - Gone
2019 Anniversary Edition D5 - Going
2019 HSE D5 - coming! 

Post #12143038th Jan 2014 9:45 pm
rodneydisco3

I was in the dealers yesterday, parked next to the Discovery was a 14MY Defender across the bonet. Looked OK, but!
 Rodey L

1933 MG J2
1934 MG PA
1935 MG PB 

Post #121715014th Jan 2014 7:29 am
Sleepyrascal

Scotland 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

NO!

I dont know how this slipped through the net at the Landrover quality department. The Landrover and Rangerover brands are rock solid and any car which wears it does so with pride. Discovery is a model name. What woudl happen if mercedes replaced the merc badge on the front of their cars to E220 or similar.

There must be a marketing / branding initiative driving the change which is worrying. It stinks of a friday afternoon idea. I love opening the gate to the driveway and seeing that big Landrover badge staring me in the face!

Post #121722214th Jan 2014 10:30 am
rodneydisco3

It looks like other than a darker green oval, you willnot see Land rover across the bonnet of any Land Rover product in the UK anyway.

You ahve to agree that it does allow for a great dealmore vehicles under each sub brand, which must be better financially and therefor gives funds for some great future developments.

I think we should be pleased that Defender lives on a couple of years back it was very much on the cards to discontinue the model, but it lioves on with great potential for many different derifitives coming over the years.
 Rodey L

1933 MG J2
1934 MG PA
1935 MG PB 

Post #121730914th Jan 2014 1:25 pm
Skep

Location: between Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop and Mansfield

United Kingdom 

At the end of the day they are only stuck on letters, the machinery underneath is still pretty much the same, I'm not a huge fan of 'DISCOVERY' on the bonnet.....yet..... but I'm sure in a few years when there are more DISCOVERY than LAND ROVER around it will just be the norm.
I like possibly a lot of others don't like change, I buy stuff from the same shops, same colours, same fragrances, but sometimes someone gets me something different that I instantly take a dislike too, but more often than not, it turns out that its actually not as bad as it first seems.
Land Rover have to put new things out there otherwise we'd still all be driving Discovery 1, When the D5 comes out, it will be radical and I'm sure this kind of debate will strike up about that too!

Just my opinions!!

Skep
 '16 Volvo XC90 R Design Bursting Blue (Vera)
'12 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Fuji White (Daz - Gone Sad
'10 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black (Vinnie - Gone)
'07 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey (Gone)
Club Side Skeps 

Post #121733414th Jan 2014 2:21 pm
MHP

England 

I have to say its really interesting to see how everyone feels about the new lettering Thumbs Up
 2009 Discovery 3 HSE - Gone
2019 Anniversary Edition D5 - Going
2019 HSE D5 - coming! 

Post #121733914th Jan 2014 2:30 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Sleepyrascal wrote:
NO!

I dont know how this slipped through the net at the Landrover quality department. The Landrover and Rangerover brands are rock solid and any car which wears it does so with pride. Discovery is a model name. What woudl happen if mercedes replaced the merc badge on the front of their cars to E220 or similar.

There must be a marketing / branding initiative driving the change which is worrying. It stinks of a friday afternoon idea. I love opening the gate to the driveway and seeing that big Landrover badge staring me in the face!

Where does the 'quality department' come into this? The analogy to Merc' is still the same; the LR oval is still there, front back, sides and plenty other places.

LR have decided to put the model generic on the front bonnet, so what? It's a rational differentiator from the multiple 'family' ranges to come for the individual model lines

Post #121768715th Jan 2014 12:24 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

I do not see how putting the name on the bonnet front edge allows for a "great deal more vehicles under each sub brand" as stated on here by rodneydisco3. At the end of the day no matter what is written on the bonnet the model has traditionally been identified by the badges on the rear so no matter if it is Land Rover or Discovery on the front the sub brand can still expand via badging on the back.
Personally I do not currently like it but suspect as time goes on it may well grow but looking at the poll I think LR have missed a trick again and may well be starting to miss the trick with a few other things recently, a shame as they currently are market and world leaders but if they DO NOT listen to customers especially their current loyal ones things can go wrong very very quiclky.
Another example is the current body style for the D3/4 has been around for a long time and many people are asking about the update but this does not appear to be in the pipe line now or the near future as a result some people are starting to move away from the marque as a nimber on here have done in the last few months. I know a few people does not make a massive diffrence to start with but once the ball starts rtolling it quickly gather momentum and can be hard to stop.
The new RRS seven seat or even the 5 seater. A lot of people who have looked at the car including me think it look stuning but inside it is very small and clostrophobic and the seven seater is no use unless you have very small kids or are traveling no more than a couple of miles.
Come on LR look at your customers and what they want from their vehilces and use their vehilces for.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #121772215th Jan 2014 8:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

You're gonna love it when they start putting 'Landy' on products then....... Whistle

Post #121776215th Jan 2014 10:23 am
Gt.Mooglywoogly

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Don't like the word discovery on the front.

How about

"inventum in terra jus"

just to give it that retro futuristic feel, with a touch of the intellectual?

Post #121833016th Jan 2014 10:05 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

nah...should be "triggers brush" on the bonnet......umm that's an idea Shocked

just need the T, G, B, U, H Rolling with laughter

Post #121834716th Jan 2014 10:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >