DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Buying a disco 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ambuadam

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Buying a disco 3

Good evening.

I'm looking to buy a disco 3. The model I'm looking at is a 2005 2.7 Td V6 S done 83,000 miles. It's a manual diesel.

Does anyone have any advice on what to look for on the vehicle or in its history. Are they a decent motor or am I opening myself up for regular trips to the garage?

Your help and advice would be hugely appreciated.

Adam

Post #121638112th Jan 2014 9:37 pm
RicoF

Malta 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Dear Adam, welcome to the best forum for Land Rover Discovery! I cannot really simply answer your question, but if you go through this forum you will get plenty of answers!

Post #121638512th Jan 2014 9:40 pm
Ambuadam

Thank you for the welcome.

This is my problem.

Forums are typically full of people looking for solutions to problems. So really my question should've been do people experience problem after problem or no more problems than any other car owner with any other car??

Post #121639712th Jan 2014 9:54 pm
RicoF

Malta 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

All cars have their particular problems... none the less do Discos! The one you're looking at seems low specced, so less gadgets to bother about, for a 2005 it's quite a low mileage as well... always check service history, have a look at body work, underside... being a manual check also clutch, clutch issues are common with Discos and other big cars... don't know really what to add...

Post #121640312th Jan 2014 9:59 pm
Ambuadam

That was my general opinion before I found this forum and just figured I'd ask the experts. It's certainly not top of the range.
Thank you for your help.

Post #121641312th Jan 2014 10:07 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

S spec were really good better than gs of latter.Should have zenons headlights/harmon even some had leather with sat nav i would check the spec sheet in the forum.Mine is a S ONLY lacks leather have my own Garmin which some say is better than L/R Thumbs Up As long as it has s/h and belts changed just give it a good look over...

Post #121651713th Jan 2014 12:26 am
discovery3ski

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

look out for clonking from the front end,easy fix but expensive.
you want a car which fits into the cheap road tax bracket which is a big saving and positive.
keep a look out for the general things. since buying my wifes car i have had four new tyres-800,new discs and pads front and back,new bottom arms,rear handbrake set up at dealers ....expensive,and a service. covered 16,000 trouble free miles in it in a year. the car would probably have done the miles with hardly any bits replaced but if you want a nice reliable comfortable car you need to invest in its maintenance. the suspension compressors can play up a bit-250/300 ish for a recon or do it yourself if your handy. manual box so won't need a megaflush-wifes car is having the full works in a fortnight- the interiors are durable.
remember its a very expensive quality car new and you won't run it on a shoe string and baling wire like a defender can be run.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 HSE 2007
Alfa GTV CUP
Alfa 156 JTS
Alfa Spider TS
Alfa GT Cloverleaf
Volvo XC70 

Post #121696413th Jan 2014 9:01 pm
Iguana

Ukraine 

I went and bought one, without checking things properly, that's because I found the forum after buying it.....It's a lovely car, I love it to bits and really over the moon that I now own it....but...but...but....I could have saved quite a bit of cash if I'd found the following issues before buying and not a few months downt he road.

- rear Prop shaft replaced (should have take a close look underneath)
- rear upper and front lower suspension (Wear on inside of tyres should have given game away, jacking it up would have helped...also drive forward slowly and break and I would have noticed that the wheels moved back a bit..)
- Wheel breaing (Wear on tyre, but also should have jacked it up and felt for movement)

Take on a decent test drive as well, make sure you take it on a M-way at 70+ speeds, as if I'd done this I probably would have noticed the vibration at around 60mph

Anyway, I have no regrets, and once the front suspension is sorted, I'll have a fantastic car....I still smile now thinking of the lovely thing parked on the drive Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #121697213th Jan 2014 9:09 pm
Jsypacey

Jersey 

Hi guys,
Sorry this is bit of HI-jack but I don't see the point in creating a post essentially asking the same question.
Have seen this locally and would like to know is this a good price for the spec, I assume the usual checks need to be done, with the mileage and age should the cam belt have been done? Would I be expecting some major parts to be on the imminent failure list. Thanks very much
http://www.jtinsight.com/JTIRA/JTIRA.aspx#..._/_WORKING

Post #121703313th Jan 2014 10:29 pm
R77NGO

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Hi,
I also have a MY55 tdv6 S manual,having had it for 2 years now I am still over the moon with it,
(I have never owned a car for so long, I usually get bored of them quite quickly )

Similar to yourself, mine had done 83,000 miles when I bought it with half land rover and half Indy service history, it's now on 103000 miles.

During the last 20000 miles I've copped for a clutch, propshaft, and both belts changed and serviced it twice. Many parts have been sourced at heavily discounted prices by reading information on the forum.

Whilst it has probably not been the most reliable vehicle that I have owned it is by far and away the best. the look,the drive,the seating position and knowing I could climb a mountain if I want to makes it an excellent all rounder.

No other vehicle puts a grin on your face quite like a disco, just make sure you don't catch the customising bug like me!i have spent more money pimping it than repairing it Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Get your hand in your pocket and get it bought Thumbs Up

Post #121703913th Jan 2014 10:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sjmw

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have a look at The Buyer's Guide in the Wiki. Oh, hang on, there isn't one yet. Any progress on creating this Martin and the site moderators? It would stop the very regular and random 'what should I look for when buying a D3/4' threads which proliferate Whistle

Happy to help, as it's mainly a cut and paste from the many'what should I look for when buying a D3/4' threads

Post #121705213th Jan 2014 10:48 pm
Nick H

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Jsypacey wrote:
Hi guys,
Sorry this is bit of HI-jack but I don't see the point in creating a post essentially asking the same question.

For something like that it's good manners to start a new post so that it doesn't confuse the thread with multiple feedback about different cars Thumbs Up

Anyway your link doesn't go to a car, you might want to double check the URL.

Post #121705613th Jan 2014 10:52 pm
Jsypacey

Jersey 

Will do, In a lot forums I'm in its often frowned upon asking the same question two doors up from the last. But point taken. Thanks.

Post #121707913th Jan 2014 11:15 pm
Ambuadam

Took the plunge. Indy dealer also sticking 6 months tax and a MOT. Got 2k for my 140000 mile xtrail too.
Cheers guys

Post #121711513th Jan 2014 11:57 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

sjmw wrote:
Have a look at The Buyer's Guide in the Wiki. Oh, hang on, there isn't one yet. [snip]

Happy to help, as it's mainly a cut and paste from the many'what should I look for when buying a D3/4' threads

Be my guest! The wiki is there for all to contribute to, add to, edit and improve. Not just what I get time to add myself Whistle
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #121711714th Jan 2014 12:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >