Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

another winter tyre question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
another winter tyre question

at what point in terms of snow depth, does an AT or MT tyre outperform a winter tyre.

I used to run Cooper STs all year round and they were good in deep snow and mud, and also performed OK in summer and icy conditions

the Grabber ATs on the D4 aren't as good, but if I get a specific winter tyre, id be looking for something that can tow a 1800kgs caravan in a foot of snow and off a muddy field but also be grippy in subzero temps on icy and lightly snow covered tarmac.

what I think I need is a magic tyre that can deal with all winter and muddy conditions...
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #120532320th Dec 2013 6:24 pm
MHP

England 

we have winteracs (if that's how its spelt?!) And they preformed very well in the mud and wet while in the peaks a while back but don't know about the snow Thumbs Up
 2009 Discovery 3 HSE - Gone
2019 Anniversary Edition D5 - Going
2019 HSE D5 - coming! 

Post #120532620th Dec 2013 6:27 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Would a deep treaded MT tyre just end up digging in, similar to sand, when used in deep snow? Guess it depends on the snow, if it's fresh and light/fluffy or if it's wet heavy snow which would be similar to mud?
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #120533020th Dec 2013 6:29 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I can say with great authority that MTR's are utterly useless and indeed dangerous on compacted snow so unless you are the first and last car out there don't use those unless you want to become part of the scenery......
Now purchased from AJS a proper set of Conti snow tyres......
My standard tyred D4 would run rings around my G4 which was invariably in a ditch somewhere ......

Post #120533320th Dec 2013 6:34 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Don't know if the duratrac replacement for the mtr are any good in snow.

Ideally I need a winter off-road tyre with good solid sidewalls that doesnt go too hard in subzero temps
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #120533820th Dec 2013 6:39 pm
Farmer Chalk

That would be my choice ....having compared tread pattern between the MTR and Duratracs the latter have many more sipes and appear to be a far better all rounder......

The problem I have is we spend the winter pulling heavy horseboxes across muddy fields ......

Post #120534220th Dec 2013 6:44 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Link originally posted by AJS4X4

Winter tyre test worth watching.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/6669...test-video
 Peter  
Post #120534720th Dec 2013 6:50 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Re MTRs, they are excellent in conditions like this. Had quite a bit of fun driving these roads at the time.

Click image to enlarge

Post #120534920th Dec 2013 6:59 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Likewise KM2s, but once it starts compacting you can't beat a winter tyre in my experience. So far the UltraGrips haven't been used on mud of any substance, but hope to change that this weekend and will report back.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #120537920th Dec 2013 7:44 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'd agree that MTR's are by far the worst tyre of the 5 different sets that I've driven a D3/4 on in virgin snow, slush, compacted snow, ice etc.

No sipes, a hard compound and big block tread pattern. The total opposite of a winter tyre. Although they were quite good on the 5-6 inch deep fresh virgin snow on my lane. But how often are you driving on virgin snow?

Dunc, I'd say that the best "compromise" tyre for your needs would probably be the Duratrac if you want to tackle big mud. But it will be a compromise as you'll suffer on the mpg and road noise.

I've managed very well on Pirelli ATR's through the last few winters, no problems with most off-road situations. But whilst I didn't actually get stuck, I did a lot of squirming around in some heavy mud on Salisbury Plain, after a few days of heavy rain earlier this year. I'd assume the Duratracs would have been far superior in those conditions.

But mud varies a lot, I remember when my MTR's got clogged up completely on one of the forum trips to Salisbury Plain. It was on the approach to VA's crossing and as result they where no better than others with clogged up Scorpion Zero's.

I'd like to run winter tyres on my D4, if only I could find one that could cope with mud. The Vredestein Wintracs on my friends D3 clogged up instantly when we hit some mud on an off-road track. He reported the same on other off-road trips and like me now runs Pirelli ATR's all year round.

Looking forward to hearing how the Goodyear Ultragrips, that several here are running this winter, perform off-road.

Post #120538220th Dec 2013 7:46 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Goodyear give an accurate (IMO) description of their tyres:

http://www.goodyear.eu/uk_en/tires/4x4/wrangler-duratrac/

Not great, 2/5, on wet roads. But it does have the mountain/snowflake symbol.

Post #120538920th Dec 2013 7:54 pm
Farmer Chalk

I'm really pleased that this has come up again....on a previous forum question I asked whether Duratracs were considered a winter tyre.....

We tow horseboxes most weekends across muddy paddocks and fields attending various events and the MTRs are brilliant at coping with this but last year when the going got tough with snow they were brilliant for the first hour before anyone else got out on the roads like Dels photos... After the first hour and for the next couple of weeks they were utterly awful....

Hence the purchase of some winter conti's ..... However they will only be going on once the snow has laid as my fear of mud clogging them remains high......
Unfortunately 99% of the time we deal with mud and more mud......

I think my perfect scenario would be to replace the MTR's with Duratracs which should solve all of my problems....if I could source them.... I know Andy at AJS has a huge backlog of orders that Goodyear can't fulfil....

Post #120539720th Dec 2013 8:07 pm
LT

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-255-...S&ty=O

Not that cheap at £209 inc. delivery, but excluding fitting costs. In stock though.

Post #120540220th Dec 2013 8:17 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Like LT I standardised on ATRs as they did everything I need very well. Only once in deep mud were they shown up by MTs in a ridiculasly boggy area of the LRE centres at Bala, I can live with that. On ice & snow they may not be as good as a winter but i've found them pretty good compared with MTRs & road tyres. I can live with them not being as good as winters are pants in the mud. I don't want to have to change wheels every time I want to go and play.

My thoughts, there are other thoughts out there. Alegedly. Whistle

Post #120540820th Dec 2013 8:25 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

You will find a small group on this forum who have a liking for the AT/R which is not a bad tyre (not a stock UK tyre). We still find the most popular AT tyre is the General AT.

The Duratrac is a very good tyre for more extreme all round conditions, but a fat lot of good if you can't get the Censored things.

Have again moaned at Goodyear today but a bit like banging one's head on the wall.

There is no one tyre that will fit all of your needs, different tyres for different needs. Wink

Best answer is wait till all the others have compacted the snow and go past them on Wintracs. Wink

Happy Christmas. Very Happy

Post #120541820th Dec 2013 8:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >