Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

another winter tyre question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Andy, it would be surprising to find any 4site 4X4 dealer whose best selling all terrain tyre wasn't the GG AT. Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #120543320th Dec 2013 9:04 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Giving the small and amount of choice and availability plus the fact customers choice can't be wrong I don't think that comes into it.

We will stock and sell what the end user requires so long as there is the availability, no use filling your shelves full of stock no one wants. Thumbs Up

Post #120556521st Dec 2013 8:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

thanks all, thanks AJS

I can say with mucho experience that the Grabber ATs are crap in icy snowy tarmac conditions compared to my old coopers. why oh why cant cooper make the STs STTs in 19 inch Big Cry

came through Andorra last new year, -10, heavily snowing, compacted icy snow on tarmac and towing a 1500Kgs trailer. the car was all over the place. trying to turn the 180degree harpins with a sheer drop on the side was scary. made a lot of use of HDC Thumbs Up . uphill they were fine though and went past other 4x4s that were stuck with ease. Thumbs Up

the Grabbers were a second choice in 2012 as the Duratracs weren't available in the timescales I needed them for Big Cry

its a real dilemma, as in winter I also do lots of motorway miles and we can get plenty of dry days in the winter so ATs are not really needed. its going to have to be a big compromise, so maybe I forego the deep mud requirement as we aren't doing anywhere near as much offroad laning as we used to. as long as I can tow the caravan off a muddy field, travel anywhere in the snow without getting stuck and stay on the road in icy conditions, that'll do me Laughing
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #120557621st Dec 2013 9:42 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Don't think anyone has made a tyre to tick all the boxes for all the requirements, they are getting close.

For what you are describing I would be using the Wintrac, it will do all that but is going to struggle off road unless you adopt an aggressive driving style. Wink

Post #120559321st Dec 2013 10:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

Thumbs Up
 Duncan
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD

Post #120570621st Dec 2013 2:37 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

LT wrote:

Looking forward to hearing how the Goodyear Ultragrips, that several here are running this winter, perform off-road.

Took some time out today to try the UltraGrips in mud. Took the precaution off switching of DSC and then headed for a boggy field with a decent slope on it as well as a farmyard with over a foot of saturated chalk/clay soil at the edges. The Ultragrips were great - didn't get stuck and happily let me stop and start on broken grass where the weight of the car and a small amount of spin was enough to sink the wheels to the depth of the sidewall.

I made a point of stopping on the upward slope, then restarting. Slight wheel slip, then away. No special progs on and DSC switched off to ensure power available when I want it, all in high range. This was the same field that defeated me a few weeks back when I had 2.5t of trailer and feed on the back.

The tread seems to clear quite well too - there's a fairly substantial space between each main tread block which seems to help.

You will slide if you put a full-lock turn on when carrying some momentum, but you'll get that with any tyre on a near 3t car.

I won't pretend they are a Mud Terrain tyre, and I wouldn't use them hacking around Salisbury Plain or anywhere else with a lot of flint in the soil, but I'd be happy taking these out on a soaked winter shoot Thumbs Up

But then I've got the 90 on MTRs for soaked dogs and pheasant blood Mr. Green
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #120592721st Dec 2013 9:51 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Good report Thumbs Up
 Peter  
Post #120630222nd Dec 2013 9:44 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Dunc I have got Winterac,s on my winter wheels and had them on when we took the caravan up to the peaks, while there we stayed on a CL with some friends also from this forum. Both of us had large twin axle vans and were the only people on our field. It was very wet when we got there and rained all week whilst there. Each time we drove onto the field the car sank into the mud/grass upto and in acouple of instances over the tyre depth and onto the rim. The day we were due to pull off the farmer said he would come down with a tractor as no one else could get off the other fields he owned we however were up earl and hooked up, we thought we would give it a go at getting off on our own, low range selected and DSC turned off before we started, car moved without issue and pulled our caravan off with the farmer watching open mouthed. Sharron did exactly the same in her D3 with their caravan, only diffrence is that hers is manual.
Both cars are fitted with Winteracs, I was impressed and the farmer was astounded. Do not know what they will be like in snow yet.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #120633522nd Dec 2013 10:58 pm
DiscoDunc

Thumbs Up

perhaps the farmer was a Toyota man Laughing Wink
 Duncan
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD

Post #120634022nd Dec 2013 11:11 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

He had a new Jag Thumbs Up and an astra van Whistle plus some big tractors
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #120640423rd Dec 2013 9:36 am
alankinge

United Kingdom 

Most UK cars are fitted with summer tyres, and some with all-season tyres. But winter tyres are designed specifically to give you extra grip in cold temperatures and when driving on snow and ice.

Post #120918530th Dec 2013 11:09 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Spot on. Thumbs Up

Happy New Year.

Post #120928930th Dec 2013 3:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >