DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine management light is on.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Wills105

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Engine management light is on.

Hi everyone.
Noticed the engine management light was on after start up this afternoon, the book says that the light is for a petrol version, shame really cos I've been putting diesel in it for four years!
Anyway, went out his morning to pick up the daughter's dog, two miles to her house, stopped the car there then restarted and returned home, no problem.
Went to go shopping this afternoon, started fine, noticed the EM light stayed on, no smoke, seems to pull fine and revs ok too. Didn't chance it though, reversed back to my garage and took the Golf instead.
I think I know what you are going to say but open to all ideas.
Disco 3 on an 09 plate with 23k miles.
Can I fit EGR blanking plates to an 09?
Wills.

Post #117607122nd Oct 2013 6:55 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Not on an 09 plate as the light will stay on you need to replace the EGR valve thats failed if it is that, I would get your fault codes read to see what shows up first.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #117608422nd Oct 2013 7:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wills105

Cheers Flack, thought that might be the case. A trip to the stealers then, not liking that idea much!

Post #117621322nd Oct 2013 10:14 pm
blue200tdi

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Quote:
the book says that the light is for a petrol version, shame really cos I've been putting diesel in it for four years!

No wonder the light is on. Shocked Rolling with laughter
 You guys are gonna be busier than a test bench in a plunger factory!
Java black 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE AUTO.
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance sport. 

Post #117626023rd Oct 2013 1:12 am
Wills105

My local garage had the right test software and...EGR valve. Code 0945. He's cleard the light for the moment, question is what to do now.
a. Take it to the dealers.
b. Find a local garage able to do the work.
c. Do it myself.

Blue, I bow down to your sense of humour. Bow down

Post #117634623rd Oct 2013 10:23 am
karlosbu

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Had the same here this eater whilst away in France. EML light on and code reader told me drivers side EGR issue, P0405 in my case. I ran with the light on for a while, including 1200 mile trip back from France (passed its MOT with the EML light on by the way).

Eventually ordered the part and replaced it myself. It's a B****** of a job as access is very limited but perfectly doable if you want to have a go as its only really unbolting the old one and bolting in the replacement with new gaskets. However, be warned as getting at the bolts is the issue Shocked If you want to have a go then read up on this site and you'll get an idea of what's involved Thumbs Up

If you get a dealer or local garage to do it they will probably advise you change both EGR valves as the other is likely to fail too but IMHO i'd just do the failing one and leave the other and replace it IF it fails. I just replaced the drivers side and the near side is still going 10K later so it's not a given that they will fail one after the other. No point in replacing for the sake of it, your choice Thumbs Up

Post #117635823rd Oct 2013 10:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wills105

Hi karlosbu, thanks for your input.
I had a surreal conversation with the main dealer service dept. not what I expected at all.
I explained what had happened and that my local garage had reset the system, the service guy said that in three out four cases the problem doesn't happen again and that a good thing to do is add some injector cleaner once a year as it tends to break down the carbon deposits on the EGR's. Also, when the engine is at operating temperature give it a damn good ragging every now and again, too many of us drive too conservatively apparently.
The light's still off and I took his advice, great fun but need more fuel now and probably a new set of tyres. Smile

Post #117660623rd Oct 2013 7:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >