Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Temporary Suspension fix
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SADISCOBOB

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Temporary Suspension fix

Hi all, I saw a comment on a thread regarding temp. - get-you-home suspension mod. Think it was on an Oz thread. Something about a few bits of tubing, some schrader valves and you fit the tube and valves to the air bags, blow up and get home! Sounds absolutely great for the bush here in southern africa.
What I want know is - Does anybody have a detailed list of parts, instructions how to fit and what do we do to fool the electronics ?
In the bush in a fortnight so waiting with serious interest - may save a D3 !!

All the best to everybody,
Bob
 Life always good with a Landy

2006 LR DISCO 3 4.4 V8 HSE
DISCO 1 2.8 TDi
DISCO11 TD5
RR CLASSIC 1980 3.5 V8 

Post #74808117th Jan 2011 11:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Actually post is in Disco3 gallery as well

Per the link below into my gallery, are three jpg's and notes related to my installation of a Schrader Valve into the front end of the air tank, and yes, it is on my Australia site as well. The bung that I screw into was deleted on 2008 and after 3's but if you have an 05/6/7, you should beable to do it.

Credit should really go to the guys in Oz as my fill valve idea is a derived on their air supply takeoff concept.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4176

Also check out my other link as below related to the F35P and F26E fuse disconnect/removal concept as that is also part of what I would call the temporary air system fix to get you back.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3778
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #75009521st Jan 2011 5:43 am
SADISCOBOB

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi bbyer, Thanks a lot. I'll now study what you've given here and get the parts. I have bad dreams of suspension troubles when deep into Botswana bush as we would have to leave the vehicle in some areas - not possible to tow sometimes.
Thks again, safe driving,
Bob
 Life always good with a Landy

2006 LR DISCO 3 4.4 V8 HSE
DISCO 1 2.8 TDi
DISCO11 TD5
RR CLASSIC 1980 3.5 V8 

Post #75012621st Jan 2011 9:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bbyer

Basic idea is to keep the air in, once in.

Good luck with the install. The hardest part is getting the various threaded parts not to leak. I used pipe dope rather than teflon tape, but either should work.

The principle is that probably the computer bits are working but the air compressor has for whatever reason failed. The system does not care where the compressed air comes from, only that there is some.

Hence introducting air back into the system at least allows the computer to open that block valves and let air back into the air springs.

Pulling the fuses after the 3 is back up, then kills the computer and hence locks the air in the springs assuming that there are no hose or bag failures.

The maximum design air pressure fill in the air tank is about 16 bar, (240 psig), but the air springs only run about 10 bar (150 psig) fully extended. As such, as long as you are able to get say 7 bar air (100 psig), back into the tank, all should work. Lower air pressure will still work, but you may need to fill the tank a few times and the 3 may not go full up either.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #75029921st Jan 2011 4:15 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The compressor in my D4 is useless, producing no pressure by itself. For a few weeks now, every few days I pump air into the bottom of the inlet filter (filter material removed) having just started the engine to get the compressor running. There's enough pressure to lift the vehicle to normal height but not enough to fill the reservoir so a fault eventually occurs. At that point the engine bay suspension ecu fuse is removed because it dropped to the bump-stops once when too low over rough ground.

Hopefully it will get a new compressor soon.
 Home of LLAMS, for LRs and Jeep GCs  
Post #75045321st Jan 2011 8:50 pm
truck5181

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
temp suspension fix

hi, i am reading with intrest about this temp fix as i am shortly setting off to morocco, am i right in thinking that by fitting the valve to my air tank if i suffer deflated bags that i can simply refill the tank via an other air supply and she will rise again ?

Post #75051621st Jan 2011 10:16 pm
bbyer

Not exactly but ....

I would like to think that a full air tank means "the 3 will rise again", however it is not that simple.

If the reason for not rising is simply that the air compressor has died, then yes, getting air back in to the tank will at least get the 3 back up as the computer system does not care where the air comes from, only that there is air pressure.

If the 3 is down on the stops because the computer decided that there is some major fault in the system, and that to "protect" you, down the 3 must go, then no, the air inlet mod is not the total solution.

This is where the fuse removal procedure comes into play.

First think like a computer - that is what the 3 is, a mobile computer first, and a 4x4 second.

When a desktop computer starts up, it goes thru the POST checks first, and then crashes if it finds problems. Same with the 3. As such, I have found that upon startup, if the air tank is low, and the compressor OK, the 3's compressor will, (may), run, and do so until told to shut down by the computer. This means that the 3 will, (may), rise as well if low, and then when the computer completes it startup routine and senses some major problem, it then tell the block valves to release air and lower the 3.

This is where one pulls the fuses, F35P and F26E, just prior to the completion of the computer startup checks - and of course this is the tricky part as once pulled, the block valves shut closed so while air will not go out, it will also not go in.

As such, there is quite a bit of trial and error, but it beats walking.

All this assumes that there are no mechanical air hose related problems - ripped out hoses or air springs. You can take some spare 6mm air tubing and 6 mm push to connect air line connectors, (available at long haul truck repair shops).

The link below towards the bottom, has a fair bit of data related to air line and connectors. There are Land Rover repair kit part numbers as well as John Guest and Voss connector data.

I believe the Land Rover repair connector is a John Guest part, however it appears difficult to buy the part from John Guest directly, at least here in Canada, however in the UK, perhaps easier and here, at least, I can get it from Land Rover for a price.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3802
Post #75060822nd Jan 2011 12:52 am
truck5181

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

thanks for that, i am talking to our maintainance guys at work today to see what they can source Thumbs Up

Post #75069622nd Jan 2011 12:07 pm
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

SADISCOBOB,
RS Components in Midrand have a on line cataloge which
you can check for push lock fittings or any air brake company.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #75144424th Jan 2011 7:16 am
bbyer

RS Components / John Guest connector

Thanks for the sourcing. I did a Google search, and found RS Components and as per the link below, the John Guest straight push in 6mm x 6mm connector.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...828#header

I might note that this is what I call the "food services" spec air line connector rather than a TUV /DOT accepted highway air line connector that Land Rover sells as part number STC8580. Nowhere can I seem to find the John Guest part number, (or a source other than LR), for the Land Rover spec connector.

The significant difference between the food services connectors and highway connector is that the highway connectors have an internal ferrule the diameter of the ID of the airline, (4mm ID). The ferrule slides inside the 6mm OD airline so when the airline is pushed in, the air line is internally reinforced to help retain it within the connector. If one looks down into the end(s) of a TUV/DOT accepted connector, one can see the ferrule(s).

Also if someone can find me a source for Voss 6mm airline connectors, in particular a 6mm T, part number 5 2 03 09 51 00. These are somewhat different from the John Guest style, but are what LR uses at the block valves - well the straights, but I wish to purchase some T's and Land Rover does not stock T's.
Post #75161624th Jan 2011 4:33 pm
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

bbyer, interesting, not seen any of them here yet in push lock.
Done a lot of work on air brake systems up to 16mm push lock
fittings, but the limit is 10 bar working pressure, but sourced
from an air brake supplier and had no issues of them poping
off even in round the clock operations in very bad road conditions.
You should be able to get them in the USA at that spec as most
of the heavy haulers are on air suspension, have some sort of
axle lifting control system with manual controls, fed by +/- 4 to
6mm pvc piping Idea Worth looking into.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #75168924th Jan 2011 7:28 pm
bbyer

SAE DOT readily available in the States

Yes, SAE sizes such as 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" DOT push in to connect air line fittings are fairly easy to get here in Canada. Metric DOT is not so easy but can be ordered from Parker and Norgren with about a month delivery.

In Australia, per the link below, supply is much easier as General Pneumatics per the web below stocks metric and imperial Detroit Fluid, (an offshoot of Parker), fittings.

http://www.generalpneumatics.com.au/files/...LCHART.pdf

Pressure limits seem to depend upon the manufacturer and the model and range from 10 to 23 bar, with 16 bar being common -something to do with the DOT/TUV spec. Temperature limits vary, but from -40C to +40C is not uncommon. Part of this has to do with revised DOT/TUV specs, some products meeting earlier specs but still OK to use. I say OK in that I mean they satisfy insurance and government regulations and has nothing to do with how they actually work.

Generally the DOT spec fittings are mostly metal and in cold weather, the metal becomes a freeze up point for internal moisture within the system - nothing is perfect. This is what makes the John Guest / Land Rover fittings particularily good - they are all plastic and DOT / TUV accepted. Note the DOT-A notation.

Post #75184025th Jan 2011 1:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >