DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Strange Cold Weather Transmission/Gear Selector Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LR3_ON

Canada 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
Strange Cold Weather Transmission/Gear Selector Fault

Hi,

I have a strange issue with the gear selector/transmission on my '06 LR3. When I go to start it in the morning after a night when the temperature dips to -20 or below, the P symbol disappears from the dashboard, the M/S is lit up by the stalk instead of the P and a transmission fault pops up. I can still shift it into R or D (the letter on the panel usually reappears) and drive off but it won't go into sport mode. A day spent in a warm underground parking garage makes the fault and problem disappear and it only seems to happen when the temperature goes to -20 or below. Also, that first upshift between first and second gear in the morning can be a very slow one with a lurch sometimes.

Anybody else have this experience? Any thoughts on what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Post #74853618th Jan 2011 3:57 am
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

With regards to the slow upshift from first to second I would put this down to the gearbox oil being cold, and presumably thie shifting gets better the more you use the car and the warmer everything gets?

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #74855418th Jan 2011 8:55 am
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

Quote:
after a night when the temperature dips to -20 or below
Shocked Do you have to use fuel tank heater in those sort of temps?  
Post #74858618th Jan 2011 10:23 am
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

charge battery
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #74901018th Jan 2011 10:42 pm
LR3_ON

Canada 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

The battery is only a couple of years old (a warranty replacement itself) but I picked up a battery warmer to try this weekend when the temp will head back down below -20 again.

Petrol engines are the only option here in Canada so there is no need to keep the fuel warm although a bottle of gas line antifreeze never hurts. In the winter, the diesel sold here contains additives to keep it from gelling when it gets really cold and you can add an additional conditioner if you want. I used to do it with our old Jetta TDI.

Post #74963020th Jan 2011 4:55 am
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Corroded termals on the module behind the battery probably.

Your "faults" sound a bit like what I was experiencing in November, (or was it October?), this year when it first got below -20C or thereabouts.

I would not say I had any shift problem, but I did have HDC failed messages; transmission fault, special programs unavailable", and some other scary stuff.

It only happened two or three times over about a one week period and then fortunately I have not seen it lately - well now, I am just getting suspension trouble messages - "no height change available"; that sort of thing, but often a restart makes the trouble messages disappear for awhile or they just come back.

My Dealer says with reference to the HDC and Transmission Faults message, that probably the terminals of some electronic box that is located beween the battery and the firewall are corroding. He said do nothing until it gets sort of constant and then for a thousand dollars or so, they will replace it.

Re the suspension faults message, they show up every winter so I just ignore them. That is also the recommendation of the local dealer.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #75009721st Jan 2011 6:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >