Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

staining on engine covers/ top of radiator etc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
chris ace

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
staining on engine covers/ top of radiator etc

Hi all, Im hoping this is nothing to worry about but have just returned from 2 seperate trips out to Tignes in France skiing. Each trip was 1400 miles return. After the 1st trip I checked oil level as our SE had covered around 2800 miles and all was fine, oil level ok. I have just cheked again at 4300 miles and oil level is still ok. However the plastic engine cover where the oil filler cap is situated and most of the covers to the top of the engine seemed to be covered in a watery oily film. It was absolutely pouring down on the way home after the new year and we were cruising at around 85 - 90 mph. I am soon going out again to France and wondered if I should get it looked at, or is it likely it is just water through front grill and under bonnet. My old 07 pursuit only had 2800 miles on the clock when I chopped it for the new SE, and the engine was spotless on the top of that. I cant see any fluid levels down at all so my gut feeling is it is just water from the heavy rain mixing with any oil spray from the engine as a new unit. Any advise please as the engine was spotless when I checked it after the 1st trip. many thanks, Chris.

Post #24804520th Jan 2008 4:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

could be oil and road grime?
my engine plastic got covered in a geasy mud from an unsealed road, used a non acidic alloy wheek cleaner to get it off in the end.
Degraser wouldn't shift it even. Shocked
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #24826820th Jan 2008 11:07 pm
cherokee

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi
Was the oil filler cap good and tight when you
put it back on after the first oil check you did?
It doesn't take much oil to make a mess an
eggcup full would make a mess under pressure
and not show up on the dip stick as a loss.
I would have thought that if it was road film
it would be on the exterior and screen of the
vehicle. Just a thought,best of luck Thumbs Up
 Always walk behind a Shooter and
In front of a Sh*ter 

Post #24835121st Jan 2008 12:54 am
chris ace

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for your suggestions. I m sure it was nothing to do with the oil filler cap as the staining wiped off easily but appeared to start from the very front of the engine and work its way backwards. It also seemed to be on the top of the plastic front grill. The more I think about it I m beginning to feel it was just water ingress from the heavy rain and speed we were travelling. I think I will call the dealer and check with their service department. I might even run it up there for them to check as I hope they wont charge me for that. By the way, just have to say that I drove each leg bar approx 1 hour non stop. The car was unbeleievable. On one trip we had 5 adults, 2 10yr olds and a 475 litre top box with 7 sets skis in a bag strapped to the roof bars alongside the top box. The car returned 26.1 mpg. Furthermore it was 12hours door to door and felt like Id been in the car 2 hours. Fantastic trip, fantastic car, would recommend to anyone. cheers Chris

Post #24840121st Jan 2008 8:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up

impressive....I only wish mine would do that mpg on a similar trip....only 4 days now.........

PS My engine bay is still clean after 50K miles (well a bit of mud in odd corners Whistle ), so I suspect it came in from the outside, you only need a truck or something to drop some oil on the carriageway and it will then come up in the spray.
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #24840421st Jan 2008 8:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >