Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Side Marker lamps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Side Marker lamps

I like side marker lamps (amber at front, red at rear) as fitted to vehicles in north American markets.
I've never understood why Europe has not adopted the same requirement - no matter, another discussion for another day.
Anyway the D3 had the wiring and bulb holder for the front side markers in the headlamps already, so if you wanted them all you had to do was pop a 3w 501 bulb in and push the bulb and holder into the hole in the side of the headlamp. No good obviously if you had done the de-tango mod, but if you wanted front side markers you could have them easily if you wanted. I think you had to drill out the hole as well in the headlamp.

Question - do the D4 headlamps have the same wire and empty bulb holder in place so that the same can be done as on a D3?

Second question (don't know the answer on this for D3 or D4) but you can see on the rear lights where the side marker bulb would be (its a small circle that you can just make out on the side of the rear light), is the wiring and bulb holder there in the rear lights as well?

Post #115823616th Sep 2013 1:28 pm
frk79

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have you done this to yours already

Post #115826016th Sep 2013 1:58 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

No, I was going to do the fronts on the D3 (as some others have done, there are posts about it in the D3 forums) but never got round to it. Now I have a D4 I was thinking about whether or not to do it on there.

I've always liked the concept of side markers, I had a Volvo XC70 between the D3 and D4 which had front and rear side markers as standard. I liked them and in my opinion they are a useful safety addition.

Post #115827616th Sep 2013 2:35 pm
frk79

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Don't suppose you have any links to do it
Thumbs Up

Post #115829816th Sep 2013 3:19 pm
toudy

Slovakia 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Side Marker lamps

I made it. How?
The author are liable for any damage caused by application or
otherwise of the information contained in this document. This is not intended an encouragement to carry out any procedure which might have warranty implications. No liability will be accepted by any of the aforementioned parties for any damage caused by carrying out this procedure whether as described or otherwise.

Refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_li...reflectors

Material:
1/ drill diameter 5mm
2/ battery drill
3/ solder gun
4/ glue or s.e.
5/ LED, white cold or warm light, diffusion, diameter 5mm, viewing angle>20 deg., luminous intensity>10000mcd, forward current 20mA, forward voltage aprx. 3.1~3.6V, resistor 560 Ohm and 33 Ohm. All resistor are ¼ watts. The circuit shown uses a LED and resistors, see below.

Front section-installation
1/ remove the headlamp unit and disconnect the wiring harness from the back of the unit
2/ remove the side lamp and s. static bending lamp cap
3/ drill (according diameter of LED) 5mm hole in to sliver plastic body(blinded hole) and clean up all plastic waste from drilling.
4/ install and fix it (glue or s.e.) the LED. Before soldering wiring of LED module check the colours of tail lamp if …(RED +, BLACK GND). The LED circuit is being connected parallel to the original tail lamp wiring (RED wire of LED module to RED wire of tail light and BLACK wire of LED module to BLACK wire of tail light). 5/ use the solder gun for best wiring connection with original lamp wiring. Use isolation tape (or s.e.) for isolation of soldered junctions.
6/ close cap, reconnect the wiring harness and refit the headlamp unit

Rear section-installation
1/ remove the rear lamp unit and disconnect the wiring harness from the back of the unit
2/ drill (according diameter of LED) 5mm hole in to black plastic body(blinded hole) and clean up all plastic waste from drilling
3/ install and fix it (glue or s.e.) the LED. Before soldering wiring of LED module check the colours of tail lamp if …(RED? +, BLACK GND). The LED circuit is being connected parallel to the original tail lamp wiring.
4/ use the solder gun for best wiring connection with original lamp wiring. Use isolation tape (or s.e.) for isolation of soldered junctions.
5/ reconnect the wiring harness refit the rear lamp unit

hidden winch T-MAX 12000lbs, under body protection, deactivated ECO Start/Stop by Arduino Nano, LAZER 750 Triple R LED high beam lights, CB radio  
Post #116443928th Sep 2013 10:33 pm
Danish

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

I did this on my disco 2 but want to do it on my 3 but with the proper bulb holders , as fitted to the side light.
Does anybody know where I might get the bulb holders from please ?
 D4 HSE
D3 HSE
D2 ex police upgraded to HSE
P38 

Post #172417925th Oct 2016 10:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >