Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Service Required??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

and passed up a reason for buying an iiD ? part of my justification to SWMBO Laughing

Post #207948430th Aug 2019 9:42 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Man reasoning ! Laughing
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #207951030th Aug 2019 11:01 am
Gary_P

Car came up with service required in 1950 miles over the weekend. It was only serviced in early June this year, a year after the previous service. It's only done 3500 miles since then with a lot of long journeys, although it did a couple of 5 mile , 15 minute, each way, trips per week through the summer. Worked out that over 3000 of the 3500 miles we've done was on longer journeys ( 50+ miles) so can't understand why oil dilution would be an issue.
I've been told by a dealership and there has been mention on here that there is an oil service message, if it was oil dilution, but I don't believe it exists. Never had this issue so early after service before.
Going in for an oil and filter change in a couple of weeks. Might have to buy a vacuum pump and learn how to change the oil filter if this is going to happen regularly!
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #231504614th Nov 2022 7:44 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

you wouldnt need to change the filter! just suck it out and refill being careful not to put to much in ie 5.6 litres would be right without the filter change. Do you use a GAP tool as I believe there was a software update to deal with this.
Are you sure the service counter was reset at the last oil change as that looks a more likely issue to me . Oil dilution would be a more immediate warning. I would check with whoever did the service and maybe reset it again as if its dilution it will throw up the service message again.

Post #231508615th Nov 2022 8:18 am
Gary_P

Many thanks for your reply and advice popsdosh. I trust the independent garage that did the service in June. The car was reporting service due before they did it so it must have been reset. I’ve had a ‘non reset issue’ before and the car asked for a service approaching a 16,000 mile boundary. I’ve checked and I’m not approaching any sort of mileage or monthly boundary ( previously serviced in June last year ). One thing I have noticed just recently is that the car is stating it is overfilled when I check the oil from cold. Previously It had been just on top level for several months. I thought it might be due to a variation in where I parked on my gravel drive, but it’s been happening more often very recently. I wonder if the additional diesel from failed regeneration has caused this? I have no other warning lights and completed a 180 mile round trip at the weekend).
I do have an IID gap tool, and had a look yesterday at a few things. No recurring faults following a clear ( it’s had various work done since I last cleared them so there were quite a few). I did see it was reporting quite a few ECU updates available on various things, it Ive never done anything like that. Is there a particular one I should look for to solve this?
I looked at a few parameters, not sure if any of these are useful:
Distance to next service 1908km
Oil quality dilution factor - inferred 6.48 ( I understand this is calculated and not from any analysis - I believe from a previous conversation with a dealer about this, that this number might represent a percentage).
Number of demanded regenerations:15856
Number of successful reservations :53248 ( strange, compared to the number above)
Number of partial successful regenerations : 0 (zero)
Incomplete regeneration status: 227 ( unsure what this number represents).
Engine oil level -measured : 0.125m (not sure what units m is - millilitres?- also saw this as 125 on one of my readings - ie 1000 times more)
Diesel particulate filter soot concentration- inferred using differential pressure: 4.4
Diesel particulate filter remaining volume: 0L ( strange this, I would interpret this to mean it is full, but it can’t be).
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #231509715th Nov 2022 9:38 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Hi Gary.

Oil quality dilution factor - inferred 6.48.
If I remember rightly then over 6% will display a service required message.

Have you checked the oil level on the dash readout? Does it state overfilled?

Number of demanded regenerations:15856
This is where the software finds the DPF has reached it's limit on soot quantity, thus demands an active regen. This means it squirts diesel on the exhaust stroke to go into the exhaust to heat up the cat & burn off the soot in the DPF. This squirting of diesel into the cylinders allows some of the diesel to leak down past the piston rings & drop into the sump, causing the dilution.

Number of successful reservations :53248.
I assume you mean regenerations?
While it carries out active regens by squirting diesel. It also carries out passive regens if the exhaust temperature is high enough during normal driving. Thus the figure combined for passive & active regen's is much higher.

Incomplete regeneration status: 227.
These are regens that have started but haven't completed due to, say, the trip being too short to completely drop the soot level.

Diesel particulate filter soot concentration- inferred using differential pressure: 4.4
This is the soot value guessed by the sensor measuring the pressure in front of & behind the DPF.
4.4 is good. I can't remember the exact value when a regen is needed, but probably 18-22 ish (guess from memory).

Diesel particulate filter remaining volume: 0L
This is a value within the software which is a null value. i.e. it's never correct.

The 2016 model year Discovery 4 is very much susceptible to oil dilution with diesel due to the higher frequency of regens. Earlier models, while having a DPF don't seem to suffer anywhere as much as the ADblue models.

My suggestion is change the oil (& filter if you like) & reset the oil dilution reset (oil counter on iid). This will reset the dilution calculation, but should leave the service warning to 16,000 or one year from last time.

My choice on all Adblue models would be to just do a 6 monthly oil change & reset the oil counter. Thus you have the best quality of oil, for the shortest amount of dilution.

regards
Steve

Post #231514315th Nov 2022 4:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gary_P

Hi Steve
Thanks very much for your detailed reply. Much appreciated. Very useful. Yes, just recently the oil indicator has shown overfilled, whereas it was just showing full before. Thought it might be place it was parked. Are you thinking that the additional diesel is causing it to be overfilled?
Will ask garage to do oil dilution indicator reset as you state, and look to getting myself a vacuum pump for next year.
Gotta look on here for oil filter removal advice. Font even know where it is, and seem to remember a special tool is required in order to remove it.
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #231514515th Nov 2022 4:47 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Overfilled is a classic clue for dilution.

The oil filter needs a 32mm socket to undo it.

regards
Steve

Post #231514915th Nov 2022 5:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Moleshome

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Where would I need to look in the live values for the oil dilution figure?

Post #231516315th Nov 2022 7:31 pm
Gary_P

Look down the full list of values for one called: "oil quality fuel dilution factor - inferred"
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #231516415th Nov 2022 7:40 pm
Moleshome

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

Post #231518915th Nov 2022 11:53 pm
Gary_P

SteveNorman wrote:
Overfilled is a classic clue for dilution.

The oil filter needs a 32mm socket to undo it.

regards
Steve

Thanks.
I thought there was also a tool, of sorts, required to pull the filter out of the casing? (Think I’ve read of a make shift tool being used as the cartridge is clipped in??). I saw o a video of someone levering it out with a screw driver.
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #231520516th Nov 2022 10:10 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

You can usually just pull the filter element off the central plastic piece by hand/glove.
Ensure the plastic perforated tube stays in the housing cap, not in the centre of the filter. If it does, remove from the filter & clip back in the cap.

Post #231525016th Nov 2022 3:21 pm
Gary_P

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #231531117th Nov 2022 10:28 am
Moleshome

SteveNorman wrote:

Oil quality dilution factor - inferred 6.48.
If I remember rightly then over 6% will display a service required message.

Mine's showing 8.01 but I'm not getting a service required message.

Post #231563719th Nov 2022 10:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >