Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

SAS light flashes on when cornering
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rowlejohn

France 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
SAS light flashes on when cornering

Hi Guys, been having an intermittent fault which has only shown itself during the past few days.
The SAS light is coming on briefly when taking both left and right bends-not severe or hairpin I must add - and I'm not throwing it hard into the corners at high speed either Laughing , sometimes the car will slow down of it's own accord until the light goes off after the bend has been taken. There are no other warnig lamps showing such as the Air suspension etc. which are normally connected with the well known sensor ring fitted to the steering column shaft failure - I did the repair on it some months ago, removing the complete column assembly to ensure that it was well and truly Araldited and moving free against the sensor body face. Checked the SAS angle at "Staight ahead" and it is 0deg. and which is exactly where I calibrated to after I carried out the repair last year.
The fault does not occur if I take the bends at a snails pace.
The suspension heights are correct and the system seems to be working fine. Have done a specific search without success
Anyone experienced this problem ??
All input welcome and appreciated Bow down
 Relocated to Mid France from N. Wales March 2021
Rovacomlite and IDD/ SSD diagnostics user
Previous Landies
3.9 SE Classic
3.5 V8 Disco
4.6 P38 HSE
L322 Vogue HSE
TD4 ES Freelander 1 

Post #236994329th May 2024 3:11 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Check if there any fault codes stored for the SAS and make sure you have "pending" faults selected on the tool.

Beyond that the problem you describe can also be caused by poor wheel alignment, damaged or worn suspension arms or bushings. Or, underinflated, worn, or unsuitable tyres. (weak sidewalls? What have you got fitted?)

Start with the simple stuff and go from there, if you decide on wheel alignment think very carefully about who you will give it to for this!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236995029th May 2024 4:35 pm
rowlejohn

France 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for the quick response "Prof" Thumbs Up appreciated.
No DTC's on the SDD, also did a clean up of both Canbus's-equivelent to a master reset. Tyres all round are Pirelli Scorpions , fitted about 18 months ago and a Hunter 4 wheel alignment done afterwards. Prior to having those jobs done, front and rear suspension arms including bushes, pivot joints, rear tie rods and wheel bearings were all replaced as a matter of course whilst it was stripped down. I estimate that around 15000 miles have been done since then. The car has never been used off road and I do not think that there is much possibility that the suspension/steering has had any strain put on it due to it through deep potholes etc. Tyre pressures are as the book and tyre quality is excellent with no signs of damage or uneven tread wear.
The car had been parked up for a couple of weeks and up till then had no issues with it. Used it on Monday when the problem started out of the blue and yesterday I ran diagnostics on it. Today I used it again, about 5 miles into the journey everything was fine, then it started again every time we hit a curved bend that previously had gone round without any problems. It does not happen on slight curves, only with one's that you would normally slow down for anyway.
 Relocated to Mid France from N. Wales March 2021
Rovacomlite and IDD/ SSD diagnostics user
Previous Landies
3.9 SE Classic
3.5 V8 Disco
4.6 P38 HSE
L322 Vogue HSE
TD4 ES Freelander 1 

Post #236995229th May 2024 5:14 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well for the most part that rules out alignment and suspension. So that being the case my money in on the Pirelli's.

Pump them up to the load rating and try your bends again (dry surface only!!)
If the problem disappears you'll know the solution! Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236995829th May 2024 6:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >