Roofracks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Roofracks

Hello All,
I hope you'll make an Aussie welcome. Wink

In Africa, it seems that the two major roofracks for the D3 are Hannibal & Front Runner.

Having said that, it appears from a scan of your site, that Front Runner racks dominate. Is this a fair assessment?

I'd be keen to hear your thoughts as to which roofrack you fitted and why?

Many Thanks,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #43887416th Mar 2009 8:26 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I went for the FR because of the fact that they are just down the road from me . I have had no problems with it .

Post #43889216th Mar 2009 9:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Nah, we are friendly oaks, just leave sport out of it Shocked
FR is the more popular RR as it is a strong set up, I have
the expo RR as I don't want to put too much weight on top.
The side rails come in handy for me with the awnings and
just to keep what I have inside the RR.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #43889316th Mar 2009 9:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have FR full length "Windcheeta" slimline with folding table sliding in underneath.

Had to choose between FR and LandRover and price was the major issue (LR almost double the price) and weight bearing capacity (LR almost half the weight capacity).
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #43889416th Mar 2009 9:16 am
Doc

United States 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Bushwanderer

I looked at the FR roofrack but eventually decided on the African Outback roofrack (locally made) - see link for details: http://www.africanoutback.co.za/products.h...and+Rover. IMHO the rack is better made than the FR, has better features and I can remove it in two minutes when not in use.

My rack is 1.7 m long and 1.15 m wide is a short enough not to interfere with the sunroof and I am also not tempted to load too much onto it Whistle I manage to load an RV5 Oztent (largest one), two jerry cans, two King Goanna stretches and four camp chairs with ease Very Happy

I hope this helps or confuses your decision Laughing

Doc
 D3 2005 HSE V8 model, snorkel, nudge bar, uprated tow hitch (12T), Goodyear Wrangler MTR (MT) tyres, National Luna battery box, Outback roof-rack, Takla seat covers.  
Post #43908516th Mar 2009 2:56 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Seeing as Front Runner are literally across the road from me, it was an easy choice. I am not sure what their distributors act like, but I know that I get great after-sales backup from FR, and have tested this more than once. I have the full-length rack, and just bought the 1/2 size (550mm x 1100mm) table to slip underneath.

That said, the African Outback rack really is IMHO a tad sexier looking Thumbs Up

Like anything, the local support you are gonna get afterwards (or the lack thereof) will make you forget about what you paid for it.

One thing to watch if you are planning on going with aftermarket and loading the rack is that you replace the LR roof rails with somethng more formidable.

Post #43911716th Mar 2009 3:48 pm
Doc

I forgot to mention that the stainless steel table slides under the rack on rails - great quality Thumbs Up
I use my rack at least twice a month and it has been fantastic. I have not had any issues with the rack yet, so I cannot vouch for the after-sales-service
 D3 2005 HSE V8 model, snorkel, nudge bar, uprated tow hitch (12T), Goodyear Wrangler MTR (MT) tyres, National Luna battery box, Outback roof-rack, Takla seat covers.  
Post #43917416th Mar 2009 5:48 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Doc

Can you post up some pictures of the table and it's fitment under the rack! Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #43918816th Mar 2009 6:03 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Oooohh a table that slides into rails underneath! I NEED one of those. If anyone has pics it would be great. I'm such suckers for gadgets and gizmos
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #43919816th Mar 2009 6:25 pm
Doc

Hi Guys

I will post pics tomorrow as the table is at home in the garage.

Doc
Post #43945717th Mar 2009 6:24 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #43949017th Mar 2009 9:09 am
Doc

Hi Guys

As promised, here is a pic of my African Outback SS table complete with single malt bottle for scale Wink

The table fits very neatly under the rack on padded aluminium rails which prevent it from rattling. The table is secured with metal clips which can be locked using a zip-tie or small padlock.

I have found the system to be very elegant and useful Thumbs Up
Post #44009118th Mar 2009 6:27 am
Discoeast

doc, can I ask a favor, could you measure the folded thickness
and top dimensions of the table, when time suits you Bow down
I think that set up could work on my expo rack.
Thanks in advance.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #44011118th Mar 2009 8:10 am
Doc

Hi Discoeast

I will make the measurements this evening and send through a pic of the rail system Thumbs Up
Post #44011418th Mar 2009 8:14 am
Discoeast

Thank you very much Thumbs Up
Post #44011718th Mar 2009 8:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >