Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Renewed my Warranty Direct Policy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
JamesG01

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm pretty Censored off with Warranty Direct. They have rejected two attempts at claims after giving me conflicting information over the phone. Seems their call centre operators can say one thing to yourself or your mechanic but then quote small print later when it comes time to claim.

Waste of about £500, which I'm going to try to at least claw back some. Maybe go to the Insurance Ombudsman.
 55-Reg Java Black SE, Unlocked SatNav (via Wiggs and Bodsy), Nudge Bar/Driving Lamps/RAI, Front & Rear Lamp Guards, RLD Sump Plate, RLD spare wheel protector

"Every movie-going moron knows that only a mining company could be evil enough to attack Smurfs living in a rainforest." - Doug Casey 

Post #71465110th Nov 2010 9:02 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

What was it for James?? Had a few claims through them and no problems. Confused

Post #71465410th Nov 2010 9:05 pm
JamesG01

First time round was an MOT fail...Kid on the phone said no problem, even though it happened within 90 day window of starting new policy (and if that was such a window, why the f*** did I have to provide proof of a previous warranty), just get mechanic to call (he told me they wouldn't cover another thing I reported). Fair enough, I thought, at least they'll cover part of what I needed doing. When TFC came round to fix it, they rejected it completely.

Next, I rang them on a Friday to say my compressor was dodgy and I was getting it seen to the next day (by someone who normally doesn't work on Saturdays and seems to be the only indy around here who does late model LRs). Sure, no problem, get him to call and we'll authorise. He calls and they say I need to provide proof of last service and latest MOT before they can authorise anything. But, they tell him, I can try claiming later, anyway if I send everything in.

I would have had to take off work, at some point, if I didn't get it fixed, which meant potentially giving up a day's pay. So I had the work done, called them up afterward to tell them and to ask them what I needed to send...Kid on the phone confirmed what I needed to send, without so much as a "but I doubt we can approve it".

Rejection letter comes back saying they had no prior knowledge of this work and will not pay for it.

Sure, they are following the letter of their policy, but when the phone people say something different to the letter one is led to believe that there is more than just the letter of the policy. Basically people say "yes" up until it actually comes time to claim and then it is "computer says no".

I wouldn't be so sore if I had received consistent messages from their phone people (and a tip that they would require a copy of my MOT and service invoice before someone puts my car up and has a look rather than while he is doing it.)
 55-Reg Java Black SE, Unlocked SatNav (via Wiggs and Bodsy), Nudge Bar/Driving Lamps/RAI, Front & Rear Lamp Guards, RLD Sump Plate, RLD spare wheel protector

"Every movie-going moron knows that only a mining company could be evil enough to attack Smurfs living in a rainforest." - Doug Casey 

Post #71468810th Nov 2010 9:44 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

For the work done on mine & SWMBO's D3s it was a case of the dealer authorised the work via "1 link", work was done and I dent copies of the docs with the claim, after work was done. Dealer handled everything, I paid & claimed without issue.

Bit weird they said they wouldn't cover anything else after initial faults reported! Shocked

Post #71470310th Nov 2010 9:53 pm
rasu52

England 

I have both of my Discoveries with Warrant Direct & they are both £37.50 a month, each, with a £50 escess.
Had one claim & it was sorted out fairly easily. Shocked

Post #71472110th Nov 2010 10:18 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Sorry things haven't worked out for you. I've had very positive (and straightforward) claims too.

My only issue would be on their admin side of things (and this is the third year of having a policy with them - and it's been the same each year). Getting paperwork policies to match phone quotes so I have everything in writing in the event of any future problems took a few calls/emails etc. Then, making sure that their computer system matches what I have in writing is also another couple of calls. Once that's all sorted everything else is straightforward, and they've been very helpful. Largely, they're quite highly recommended on here, I wonder whether when there are complaints about them, for some, the root cause is admin errors, with customers' policy documents not reflecting what was agreed on the phone.

I'm an easy going kind of chap, so prepared to be reasonable when admin errors occur, but I can imagine some would interpret this as being corrupt etc.

If things haven't worked out, I'd get on to the claims department and try and chat through it with someone. As long as you don't get the guy with the nasally southern drawl, they've tended to be really helpful.

On paper (and I read the small print) they're excellent policies and I think they're a decent honest company. I can't help thinking though that they'd save a load of hassle/time/money/public opinion by tightening up the admin side of things and creating less of an apparent disconnect between their sales and claim departments.

Hope you manage to get it sorted Thumbs Up
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #71474110th Nov 2010 10:54 pm
JamesG01

I guess I get the trainees whenever I call...At this rate, anyway, I think I am going to self-insure for this stuff and just get a refund. Won't be bothering with any other warranty company, I don't think...I hate handing over money for nothing.

Glad everyone else has found them useful. I haven't. Just one more little grinding inconvenience that infects modern life like grains of sand in vaseline...

Post #71477310th Nov 2010 11:33 pm
Windy Corner

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Worth haggling on renewals as well

My renewal came in at the same price but they had downgraded me from Luxurycare to Extracare and removed airbag & emissions and added a £50 Xs

Phone call, back up to Luxurycare with all options included 13 months cover, same premium as last year, 12,000 miles a year, job done, shame they couldn't do anything about the Xs though.

I had two claims last year, both done via TFC, EGR and Rear wishbones (bushes), no problems, but they do need MOT and last service before they will do anything, so now I think they are asking for them at renewal time.

Perhaps not the cheapest but I've done ok so am happy to renew

Rik
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6 Baltic Blue
Discovery 3 S TDV6 Zambezi Silver - Now gone........
Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response 

Post #74491011th Jan 2011 1:18 pm
SGH

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

I went with WD when my LR Assured ran out in December.

I got the Luxury Car cover Franchised Dealer Repairs for £660.00 with £50 excess.

Simon
 Defender 300Tdi 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montalcino Red/Black Pack - Gone
Connect L2 Double Cab - Moondust Silver
Connect L1 - Moondust Silver
VW California Ocean 150PS DSG - Reflex Silver 

Post #74500911th Jan 2011 5:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Snowy

England 

Just renewed my WD cover. Luxurycare for £632.
 The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us yet.  
Post #74537712th Jan 2011 11:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rasu52

England 

Just taken out Extra Care with WD, no excess, inclusive of air bags, turbo, FWD coverage & emmisions, plus all the other usual parts for £419.00pa, so got a good deal there looking at what others have paid. Whistle

Post #8564328th Nov 2011 4:53 pm
Hanechdene

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi rasu52,

have you been covered for main dealer or independent garages?

also what excess do you have to pay?

I am trying to beat a deal out of them but a long way off your deal!

many thanks

Post #85980116th Nov 2011 8:15 pm
rasu52

England 

Hi Hanechdene,

it is for independant garage at £60ph
No excess, but 90 days no wear and tear cover, as existing warranty had expired more than 30 days ago.
This is the 4th car l have had with WD, so it's not too bad

Hope this helps

Post #85980416th Nov 2011 8:33 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I see some people are having problems with the 90 days and the service and MOT obligations, but they were made clear to me, here is details of my WD policy and a link to a thread from Feb this year detailing it all clearly.

I bought my warranty a year in advance of the LR warranty running out (starts Jan 12), I found a first e-mail I had from Warranty Direct detailing what was covered in Extra Care and the cost, this was later negotiated up to Luxury Care and Franchised dealer unlimited rates cheaper, but this will give you an idea of what to expect, I have all of this and more with the Luxury Care package:

LR D3 GS Manual MY09

The best level of cover for you is Extra Care Cover. The price of the package is *£589 for 12 months (Network Labor Rate).

Warranty Direct price includes:
* Warranty cover Mechanical and electrical breakdown cover
* Car Hire
* Overnight Hotel Accommodation
* Emergency Travel
* Technical help line
* Discounts off your future MOT and service

The Package also includes “Emmisions & Airbags” cover for free.

You also get a Wear and Tear cover. This means if a covered component fails because it has worn down over a period of time, e.g. Wheel Bearings, Shock Absorbers etc, we will still cover the cost of that repair.

5 major things that make us the leading warranty company :-
Wear and Tear failures are covered.
We cover failure caused by un-insured parts or Consequential Loss.
Service and MOT failures are covered.
Over heating is covered
Also, we cover diagnostics on a valid claim.

The type of things not covered by the warranty are Consumable items like Tyres, Break pads, exhaust etc.

Your Claims Limit is the value of the car at point of claim.

We handle all our claims in house. We have a dedicated team of engineers here 6 days a week so it allows us to process claims very quickly. The turnaround time is up to 7 days.

The excess fee is £50 per claim.

You have to provide proof of service and MOT if you need to make a claim in the future. You could be 1000 miles or 28 days over your service. Any more than that, your policy could become invalid.

You have a 30 day cooling off period to ensure you are happy with all elements of your policy. You have the right to cancel with no charge within your cooling off period.

*According to the e-mail I could look at my 'stored' quote on their system, well here it is and I ended up paying after haggling £535 for upgraded Luxury Care with extra's thrown in

More info in an earlier thread here: http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic61959.html

Last edited by Discotres on 16th Nov 2011 8:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #85981216th Nov 2011 8:50 pm
Hanechdene

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

many thanks for the info, will let you know

Post #85981316th Nov 2011 8:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >