DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Remote Fob
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dave Roberts

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Remote Fob

Hi All,

I have a 05 HSE which suddenly has now decided that both key fobs will not open or lock the vehicle !! I have asked the dealer and they say it needs 2 new keys !!! at £100 pounds each plus£25 for programming this is rather a lot for 2 keys that should last the life of the vehicle or be replaced free of charge.

Has anybody any ideas if there is a solution other than buying from LR direct ??

Your input would be usefull.

Thanks

Dave R
 Dave R  
Post #8547533rd Nov 2011 5:58 pm
Miguel

Portugal 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I remember reading a while ago that it is possible to change the batterys of the keyfobs, but it envolves a bit of soldering I think, and a new casing, since to open the original it gets completely destroyed.

Lots of them available on ebay and quite cheap, but the keyfob will not be waterproof after that.

Probably worth checking out, given the price.

Post #8547673rd Nov 2011 6:31 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

The use of the words "suddenly" and "both" would tend to suggest that the problem could be with the receiver in the roof or the wiring. (This is assuming that you've used the spare key recently, rather than left in the drawer unused for months.)
IIRC, there is a wiring splice in the door sill that has caused this problem - do a site search for fob and you should find it or wait for a more detailed reply with the link.
Don't bother with eBay keys unless they are brand new and unused- once paired with a car, the key cannot be re-paired with another (the blade is an easy swap).
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #8548033rd Nov 2011 7:41 pm
Saj2421

Exactly what happened to me a few weeks back. Has nothing to do with the batteries, there is a fault in the wiring being damaged.
Booked it in to my local inde who found the damage, replaced it and gave me a bill! Rolling with laughter
If you can find it yourself you will save yourself a few quid as the total bill came to £200 but parts only cost £7!!!
Hope this helps and happy hunting Thumbs Up

Post #8548093rd Nov 2011 8:07 pm
Dave Roberts

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks guys will check wiring
 Dave R  
Post #8548313rd Nov 2011 8:55 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Link re key wiring problem

Both key fob batteries rarely go at the same time. When neither works, the odds are that a splice per the link below has failed.

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic54235.html?...e+receiver

Also this is a link into my gallery where there are wiring drawings as to the door lock circuits.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3813
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #85832013th Nov 2011 3:58 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Never tried this,so I can't comment as to its usefulness...

"So, what do you do if your three-year-old child DOES desynchronize your transmitter by pushing the button on it 300 times, so that the receiver no longer recognizes it? Most cars give you a way to resynchronize. Here is a typical procedure:

Turn the ignition key on and off eight times in less than 10 seconds. This tells the security system in the car to switch over to programming mode.
Press a button on all of the transmitters you want the car to recognize. Most cars allow at least four transmitters.
Switch the ignition off."

my wifes car decided not to recognise her key......manually but the blade in the lock and unlocked it while holding the fob button....not scientific,and don't know why I did it but it worked !
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #85832313th Nov 2011 8:16 am
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Probably killed the internal rechargeable key fob battery.

I think the only way to teach your key fob is for the dealer to do it with their T4 setup or if you have a Faultmate.

I expect repeated pushing the key fob buttons weakened the internal rechargeable battery. The key should still work to start your 3, hence use it for a couple of weeks and the odds are the remote unlock will work again.

The internal battery powers the lock / unlock signal circuits only; the start/don't start circuits are not powered by the internal key fob battery but by energy transferred from the lock cylinder area when cranking the engine.

A similar field energy transfer effect is what charges up the internal key fob battery. You can also charge the internal battery of a second key fob just by tapeing, (elastic bands etc), it to the working key fob when the working key fob is inserted into the cylinder and the engine is running.

Some vehicles have antennas near each door handle to pick up lock / unlock signals. That may be why your wifes key fob worked - weak battery, but close to the antenna.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #85844513th Nov 2011 5:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >