DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Rear number plate inspiration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
J77

Scotland 

discoteca wrote:
J77 wrote:

The D7u platform has only been in production since 2012, L405 FFRR was the first to receive it the platform was intended to be adaptable.

Yes, obviously, as I said over 6 years old assuming they didn't develop it in a day....

It is adaptable - clearly given it already has given rise to three different models and soon a fourth - that doesn't make it any newer though.

Didn't say it was new, still only been on a production car for 5 years, but if you want to count development that makes the Discovery a lot older than 27 years old.

Really don't see why you would expect them to design a complete new platform when they have one that works, don't see what needs to be changed. Did they redesign the platform for the 4th generation?
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #177735411th Feb 2017 8:43 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Having seen the D5 I've been thinking about a Rubicon! It's a bit old skool but does the job.

Just seen the new Discovery TV ad. Seems to be a car for muppets - you'd have to be brain dead to drive at speed through a sandstorm towards your mates. Shows just how much JLR have lost the plot. Discovery for the twitter generation.

Best bit was the end when the car was shown side on - SWMBO, who has no interest in cars and is sick of Land Rovers after 20 years with me (or just me!) just blurted out "It's got a big bottom hasn't it" Rolling with laughter
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #177735711th Feb 2017 8:50 pm
J77

Scotland 

Why would you drive at speed over a frozen lake with a speed skater?

Discovery 3 advert 2006.
Post #177736111th Feb 2017 8:58 pm
sportcoupe

United States 

challenger23 wrote:
What made you make the change ?

Number 1 reason is the availability of a diesel engine. Jeep keeps promising and promising for Wrangler. Meanwhile, they put a hold on ordering Grand Cherokee with diesel engine last June 2016.

The Land Rover air suspension is superior to Wrangler coil spring. The Discovery interior is fantastic.

The Rubicon is dominate off-road though. I don't need that much ability anymore.

Last edited by sportcoupe on 11th Feb 2017 9:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #177736311th Feb 2017 9:10 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Seems to be a car for muppets - you'd have to be brain dead to drive at speed through a sandstorm towards your mates. Shows just how much JLR have lost the plot. Discovery for the twitter generation.

As they say elsewhere: "haters gonna hate" Rolling with laughter
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #177736411th Feb 2017 9:10 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Wow, this D5 has really gotten people's backs up, I can't believe people actually think that Land Rover can make a vehicle like an Evoque or a DS or a FFRR so capable off road then make a road bias D5 ? That's crap off road, and people can only have made that assumption by watching a few geek videos that some boring b Censored d has bothered his Censored to make.

Any one who has driven a LR product at an experience site with road tyres cant fail to be impressed by its off road capability. I know I was and I've driven land rovers in some of the most hostile places on Earth.

My off roading days are over, I can't even be arsed to wash a car let alone get one Censored up to the eye balls in mud.

The D4 is a better vehicle than the D1 could have ever hoped to be, likewise the FFRR is unbelievable compared to the Velar or original Range Rover. The RRS2 makes the original look like a Taxi, the black Metrocab version. It looks so dated so quick it's laughable. People change their cars now like they change a phone yet for some reason we can't seem to accept progress in vehicle construction, design or capability? Why is that? And what have Land Rover got to gain by marketing an off road vehicle as a soft roader?

That's like Jamie Oliver marketing restaurants as Italian when they are intact "Oh wait" he did do.

Any claims made by LR will be fact not fiction, the people that work there drive off road for a living and know intuitively when something feels right and or better than it's predisessor. To rubbish claims made by a manufacturer after watching some GoPro footage is just pathetic to be fair.

A bit like trying to pretend we are all driving at 90MPH towards our mates whilst fleeing a sand storm, and not realising they were trying to add scale and a depth of involvement into what is basically a TV advert for a car, it's not a direct instruction or an oprtunity for a H&S risk assessment by some superior in high vis and a helmet, it's television it's not real life.
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #177740812th Feb 2017 12:11 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

petersw wrote:
Quote:

Couldn't have put it better Thumbs Up LR is being left behind and have decided to compete in a very crowded space where any Euro / Korean SUV will do pretty much the same job. Shame really. Sad

Oh dear.
Despite the D5 being the best off-roading car far better than any other Discovery models people are comparing it to non Off roaders.

It's not compulsory to buy a D5, you can still keep your D4's.

So if the key differentiator is off road capability, a differentiator not needed by 90%+ of buyers, what is the key USP for buying one over the competition? It can't be its packaging.

LR is leaving its heritage behind and with it what made the Discovery the vehicle it has been for over 25years. If I wanted a suburban SUV then there were already plenty of options already available.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #177741312th Feb 2017 12:29 am
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

ruggedpeak wrote:

Just seen the new Discovery TV ad. Seems to be a car for muppets - you'd have to be brain dead to drive at speed through a sandstorm towards your mates. Shows just how much JLR have lost the plot. Discovery for the twitter generation.

From where i was viewing, he was racing the front of the sandstorm not through it. Having been in a similar situation in Algeria, picking up my mates before it hit was very high on my list of priorities. To have left them out in the open would have been "unkind" to say the least. Not as fanciful as some people might think. Very Happy

What I do query though was why he folded the seats down just before he picked them up and then miraculously they're folded up again as he pulls up. Laughing
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #177744812th Feb 2017 8:37 am
J77

Scotland 

Moo wrote:
petersw wrote:
Quote:

Couldn't have put it better Thumbs Up LR is being left behind and have decided to compete in a very crowded space where any Euro / Korean SUV will do pretty much the same job. Shame really. Sad

Oh dear.
Despite the D5 being the best off-roading car far better than any other Discovery models people are comparing it to non Off roaders.

It's not compulsory to buy a D5, you can still keep your D4's.

So if the key differentiator is off road capability, a differentiator not needed by 90%+ of buyers, what is the key USP for buying one over the competition? It can't be its packaging.

LR is leaving its heritage behind and with it what made the Discovery the vehicle it has been for over 25years. If I wanted a suburban SUV then there were already plenty of options already available.

And for 90% of D3/4 owners a suburban SUV would do the same job. The D5 is very well packaged compared to the D4, the loadspace height lets it down slightly but that is minimal, interior storage is far better on the D5 and a bigger boot behind the 3rd row.

As for heritage, LRs heritage is in off road vehicles which the D5 raises the bar against the D4. What heritage have they left behind?

But each to their own, I've had a few doubts but I'm now looking forward to mine arriving, hopefully before April. Just not sure I've made the right choice of colour, never seen Namib Orange in the flesh.
Post #177746912th Feb 2017 9:55 am
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Black would be best to hide that backside but plus side you wouldn't be missed in a snowstorm in Namib Orange Thumbs Up

Post #177763612th Feb 2017 4:02 pm
J77

Scotland 

Black was the first colour I discounted. It was either Silicon Silver or Namib Orange both premium colours, makes your eyes water as much as the tail end.

But I suppose I can't really complain, I once owned a Renault Megane, the one with the ass.
Post #177768012th Feb 2017 5:04 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Ok so I've just seen the sand storm advert. I have to admit I've had a bit of a swerve in my opinion on the new D5. I'm actually really starting to like it now. I'm still a bit undecided about the back end but then so what. Inside looks awesome ! The front is really nice and the side ain't that bad. As J77 said I can't really comment on its ar5e either because I too owned one of those meganes. Until I slid in the snow on the way to work and removed both driver side wheels. Without a jack. I used a kerb instead. Whistle

Oh and if that's namib orange in the advert then I think it's a really nice colour. Better than the Renault silver. Laughing
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #177768812th Feb 2017 5:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Someone's been on photoshop and 'fixed' the back of the D5 😂😂

Came from a Page on FB..

Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #180313913th Apr 2017 10:44 am
hbrotherus

Finland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Found it on pinterest, I kind of like how they combinen D4, D5 and Disco Sport.

https://fi.pinterest.com/pin/73113193931977394/

Post #180314813th Apr 2017 11:15 am
Dannyson

England 

Shocked I could have lived with that!...... Rolling Eyes
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #180336713th Apr 2017 10:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >