Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Rear Camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Reginald Molehusband

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4
Rear Camera

My handbook shows the rear camera alongside the high level brake lamp but the camera is actually lower down in the door handle assembly. Any ideas why and what impact this has on the trailer and towbar aligning features (which I have yet to use)?

As an aside, I opted for the surround cameras which as far as I can see are a waste of money, the only useful camera is the rear one which is standard.
 2016 D4 Landmark SDV6 (Euro6), Zanzibar (late run D4)
2009 D4 HSE TDV6, Bali blue (first run D4)
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE, some blue

http://www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #57114329th Dec 2009 9:34 am
OzDisco

Australia 

I am seeing a lot of people complaining that the surround camera system is a waste of money and that they wish they hadn't bought it.
Just wondering what people were expecting from it, surely it does what it is supposed to do, ie. show images of how close you are to certain objects!!??
 Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments that take your breath away...  
Post #57239931st Dec 2009 11:21 pm
steve_farrant

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

About to order a D4 in next few weeks and trying to decide on final spec.
I have a couple of questions regarding the cameras and tow assist etc. I saw the cameras on a demo at the dealers, very nice but not sure if worth the cost. Regading the tow assist/ reversing etc am I right in thinking that you have to put a target/dot of some sort on the trailer and programme the vehicle with the dimensions of the trailer etc? The salesman says no. If so is this for the tow hitch assist or for the reversing prediction? Alternativley, if you did not have the optional cameras but only the standard rear reversing camera, can you see the towbar in order to line up to the trailer drawbar? I have managed without all this stuff quite nicely for years but it might be nice to have. What about you guys who already have it (especially if you do a bit of towing) worth it or not?
Thanks Steve

Post #5734413rd Jan 2010 6:18 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I cant answer all of this but ill do my best.

As far as im aware you need something on the trailer with tow assist so the car knows where the trailer is, ive not got it so i may be wrong.

What i can say is i have the rear view camera only and i can just see my tow ball in the nav screen, i got my m8 to watch me back to my trailer while i looked at the screen and i was within a 1" of the ball which was good eniough for me.

Pete

Post #5734593rd Jan 2010 6:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Here is a picture of mine, its not very clear because it was only taken on my Iphone but you can see the ball i put a yellow cloth on.

Pete

Post #5734683rd Jan 2010 7:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Reginald Molehusband

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

OzDisco,
I opted for the additional cameras based on the junction view facility. I requently negotiate a narrow lane whose exit onto the main road is hammed in by hedges and trees and I inferred from the junciton view label that this feature would help me see traffic approaching with minimal nose-into-the traffic.
Unfortunately the feature is a lie and the position of the cameras offers to lateral view whatsoever. Trade descriptions act job, I reckon. Evil or Very Mad
 2016 D4 Landmark SDV6 (Euro6), Zanzibar (late run D4)
2009 D4 HSE TDV6, Bali blue (first run D4)
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE, some blue

http://www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #5735183rd Jan 2010 8:50 pm
steve_farrant

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for the replies chaps. Pete thanks for the taking the trouble to post a photo, very helpful.

Post #5735823rd Jan 2010 10:05 pm
OzDisco

Australia 

Reginald Molehusband wrote:
OzDisco,
I opted for the additional cameras based on the junction view facility. I requently negotiate a narrow lane whose exit onto the main road is hammed in by hedges and trees and I inferred from the junciton view label that this feature would help me see traffic approaching with minimal nose-into-the traffic.
Unfortunately the feature is a lie and the position of the cameras offers to lateral view whatsoever. Trade descriptions act job, I reckon. Evil or Very Mad

That is fair enough then!!
You can't sell something that won't/can't do what you advertise!
 Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments that take your breath away...  
Post #5735903rd Jan 2010 10:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >