Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Rattle from underside - Fixed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Rattle from underside - Fixed

Had a horrible metallic rattle from the underside, most noticeable when stationary at idle. Had a look yesterday, was fully expecting it to be the central heat shield loose because had a similar rattle on the D3 and that's what it turned out to be.

But it wasn't the heat shield. After a bit of poking and prodding, with the engine idling, tracked it down to the exhaust. Roughly under the passenger seat there is an exhaust to chassis rubber mounting. With thick gloves on (hot exhaust) I found that I could reliably put pressure on the exhaust one way and the rattle worsened and pressure the other way and it stopped.

The exhaust must pass very close to something else metallic down there because I'm only talking about a minute movement each way. On closer inspection the rubber mounting between the exhaust and the chassis wasn't quite seated properly on the exhaust bracket, it looked like it had moved very slightly, less than a couple of mm.

Anyhow a couple of quick bashes with a mallet seemed to sort it and problem fixed Smile

I do love a quick and easy driveway fix with no cost involved Laughing

Post #12298813rd Feb 2014 1:36 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

This might be a common fault as I had exactly the same problem with my D4 before Christmas. Called LR assist on the Saturday who said it needed to go into the dealer but it was only 30 minute fix once up on the ramp, but the LRA guy arranged a loan car for me anyway.

Dropped my car off Monday morning at Stratstones and drove away in a new Jag XF. By Thursday lunchtime I called the garage only to be told they were very busy and not looked at it yet Shocked

So I called LR Customer Care, not to complain that I was without my car for 4 days, as I was enjoying thrashing the nadds off the new Jag, but to inform them really that they had been paying for a hire car for me for 4 days on what should only be a 30 minute job.

Anyway they called dealer and my car was ready Friday morning Rolling Eyes .........But get this, LRCC then called me to see if everything was OK with my car and then told me they were sending me credit note for £250 for all my trouble to be spent in any LR dealer Shocked Result !! So I used it to have a new battery fitted on SWMBO's Discovery Laughing Double result Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #12298973rd Feb 2014 2:06 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I think the key factor here may be that it was arranged by Land Rover Assist - that always seem to get a much quicker answer/response from both dealer and LR CC) than if us mere mortals do it. With some dealerships it also seems to be the only way that they will entertain doing any warranty work Rolling Eyes
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE and 2013 MY D4 HSE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #12298983rd Feb 2014 2:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >