Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

petrol in a diesel engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Berlin Warrior

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mate of mine is stuck in Basel Switzerland (with my old Freelander TD4), he was at a garage about 4 weeks ago and the attendant (yes they still have them in Germany) filled his Hippo with Unleaded. He had it drained immediately but didn't get teh system flushed - result, shagged fuel injection pump and LR Switzerland are charging him €3500 to sort it (pump is about 350quid in UK).

Anyways, the garage (Shell in Munich) that made the initial cock-up have signed a letter admitting liability so he should be OK, apart from the inconvenience.
 Knowledge & Reason - the arch enemy of faith

MY2008, Java Black TDV6 HSE, Alpaca with straight grain Wood, 19" alloys, fully loaded with all the toys Smile

Discovery 3, you know it makes sense. 

Post #26138119th Feb 2008 3:20 pm
smac343

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Land Rover phone today getting the D3 back tomorrow Very Happy Insurance have agreed to cough up the cost Bow down seems SWMBO didn’t do that much damage as she had 1/2 tank of diesel before she filled up... but still cost £850 for them to change what ever parts where required to keep the Landover Warranty happy. So two week two courtesy cars (Mitsubishi colt and Skoda Roomier Censored ) later and £50 of petrol later and its all sorted .... Thumbs Up

ill Just keep SWMBO away from the Pumps till we get a field report on the mis-fuel device from B16 KJR Whistle
 four wheels - Buckingham Blue SE, tints, PTI, (SOLD)

About to sell up and take a Gap year following a VERY full 23yrs 9 months and 24 days (not that im counting) 

Post #26162619th Feb 2008 10:22 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quick update :- The misfuelling device arrived today. Not had a chance to try it at the petrol station, but first impressions are that it is a well made piece of kit.

Approx 4" long, with a 1/2 turn cap. The top half that fixes into the fuel filler neck is made from thick black plastic with a large "o" ring to seal against the cap and a seal around the fuel nozzle appeture. There is also a foam "filter" at the top which I assume is a breather or vent.

The bottom half is a thick steel tapered pipe with what looks like a sort of lozenge shaped piece welded accross the inside of it, with two other pieces of metal fixed to that. Hard to describe, but they form a sort of 1/2" diameter restrictor in the pipe. I can see how this should prevent a smaller diameter pipe from going in.

The unit is fitted into the existing fuel filler pipe by pushing it in and turning it 90o using the supplied alloy key, very like an oversized locking wheel nut key.

Will keep you posted as soon as I get a chance to use it.

Post #26177720th Feb 2008 11:09 am
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

B16 KJR
Well done that man .. will look forward to hearing how it works in pratcice
Thumbs Up

Post #26177820th Feb 2008 11:18 am
simonsi

New Zealand 

Any chance of posting a pic or two if you get the chance - looking forward to seeing how it stops a small pipe going in but allows a larger diesel pipe in....
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #26179520th Feb 2008 11:51 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Sorry Simon cant seem to do this. Have followed all the instructions but cant get the photos to upload, keep pressing the "continue" button and nothing happens. Have the photos in "my pictures" and burnt onto a CD any ideas.

Post #26190220th Feb 2008 5:09 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Managed to upload 1 image, but 3 were in the "file upload" box only 1 image appeared in my gallery ?

Post #26195720th Feb 2008 7:43 pm
smac343

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

smac343 wrote:

B16 Kjr this is the pic the company sent out if it helps explanealong with your pic

[/img]
 four wheels - Buckingham Blue SE, tints, PTI, (SOLD)

About to sell up and take a Gap year following a VERY full 23yrs 9 months and 24 days (not that im counting) 

Post #26199520th Feb 2008 9:25 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

It doesn´t look to have a large enough bore to accept a diesel-sized filler nozzle Question
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #26203320th Feb 2008 10:33 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Finally managed to get all the images uploaded into my gallery.

Post #26220621st Feb 2008 11:11 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Eventually managed to find the time to fit this and give it a try. Pleased to say it works. Tried to fit an unleaded nozzle into the unit but it just will not go in at all, try the diesel nozzle and it fits tightly. Thought it would spray back as it was such a neat fit, but tried the nozzle on full blast and no problems. Seems to be well worth the cost.

Post #27631522nd Mar 2008 5:20 pm
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

I see from the MPD website that Lookers Land Rover outlets in the SE are now marketing these devices............
As Charles Hurst (site sponsors of Freelander2 and RRS forums) are part of the Lookers group I wonder it they would entertain a group buy?

Quote:
Lookers Landrover dealerships located in the South East of Englend have launched the MPD at their 7 landrover sites "Sales of the device has been swift and the interest outstanding.We have been looking for a solution to the misfuelling problem for a few years and this inexpensive solution will do the job"

Posted: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:35:58 GMT

Pity who-ever typed up the press release couldn't spell their own country's name........................
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #27651523rd Mar 2008 12:36 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

So what's the cost of these devices then?

Embarassed Neutral Embarassed Embarassed Should really read the post first shouldn't I......

Quote:
Update :- Total price inc VAT and delivery is £63.70.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #27651723rd Mar 2008 12:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Popelka

Czech Republic 

Not only is it possible to fuel with wrong fuel type BUT if you travel Europe and visit a Shell garage, just check which Diesel nozzle you pick up first. I had an instance where I ended up with 30% higher cost all because of the nature of reading left to right.
Shell have their performance fuels on the left of the pumps and I automatically picked up the first diesel nozzle I read but didn't realize until half a tank; at the point I realized my mistake I looked across all the pumps and then noticed this. I really think it is a marketing ploy to maximize money from us having the most expensive fuel to the left (knowing western habit of reading is left to right)

regards
chris
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #3067775th Jun 2008 9:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >