Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

P0915 - what would cause the gearbox to Clunk between P/N/D?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
philipLR4

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 4

OK. So my 2 cents worth is that it is shifter related and not exactly gearbox itself. From easy and cheap to difficult and expensive I would check on the following:

Battery new and all Earth connections. Most important to clean and tighten 2 Earth connectors behind the right hand driving light on the fender panel. When replacing correct battery register new battery with the vehicle using the menu on the diagnostic tool.

Steel cable connections under the shifter handle and on the shift arm right hand side of transmission. Is the indicator on the display showing the right gear everytime you shift with ignition on/engine off?

Unplug all cable shoes in the shifter console and use electric cleaner or brake cleaner to deoxidise and clean all electric connections and potentiometers/sensors.

Fuse box and voltage drop test.

Renew transmission oil, filter and the 5 seals between mechatronic and actual gearbox (4 tubes 1 case)

Replace all solenoids on the mechatronic. (ca.400BP)

As your transmission seems to work fine while driving it must be shifter position sensor or pressure related.

Post #23723794th Jul 2024 10:23 am
GBL78

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks Philip,

Does the ECU definitely take electrical position information from the gear stick position? (I would have assumed it only reads from the mechatronic/lever position.. )

But if it does use the shifter position, then it’s worth investigating. It could explain “shifter not in park” problem.

Whilst operating normally the gear requested and gear obtained are correct.

Regards

Greg

Post #23724645th Jul 2024 11:04 am
philipLR4

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 4

Well, this is all so interesting and fun to figure the way out of the labyrinth. But i believe that if the shifter handle to cable to shifter arm to slider in the mechatronic is misaligned or gets a wrong reading due to dirt or damage the transmission throws this fault and refuses to work properly although "mechanically" it is actually fine. Next level would be one of the solenoids being damaged or clogged from bad and dirty fluid. i did follow those routes and my transmission is now almost trouble free. every now and then it has a hick-up but switching ignition off and on usually clears it at least to the level were the car drives fine and then back home i quickly clear the fault code. This means to me that we are on the right track. I even heard about a faulty interior light causing this. CRAZY Will keep you updated. Good luck

Post #23725436th Jul 2024 10:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >